Remember my Silver Smokey Black baby?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
Here is Wisp, at one day old, she tested Ee aa nCr nZ.

wisp1.jpg

And now, 4 months later:

wisp3.jpg

wisp4.jpg

The dorsal stripe that was so prominant at birth, is now fading a bit, and there are no other dun characteristics. The real colour of her mane & tail is similar to her body colour, but our very harsh New Zealand sun has bleached it white! For once, I don't mind, it looks kinda pretty
default_biggrin.png

She went to her first show yesterday, and took 1 Champ Youngstock Filly, 1 Reserve Champ, and 1 Runner-Up Supreme, so I was really thrilled
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisp is a beautiful girl! And her first show sounds great with lots of ribbons!! I like her color, too. She is the first mini I have seen that resembles a colt I once owned. I was never sure what his color was,it must be he was a smokey black for sure. Dam was a bay, sire a cremello.(we thought we would get a buckskin!)Thank you!

3 days old

DSCF0682.jpg

2 1/2 yrs old

gunny607012.jpg

So

A horse carrying at least one copy of the black allele (Ee or EE) will have black pigment in its coat.

Only when the agouti gene is homozygous for the deletion (aa) is the black pigment evenly distributed.

Dilute. Horse tested Heterozygous for Cream Dilution (One copy of the Cream allele). Chestnut is diluted to palomino; bay is diluted to buckskin and black is diluted to smoky black. These colors can be further modified by the actions of other genes.

Horse tested Heterozygous for Silver Dilution (One copy of the Silver allele detected). Black-based horses will have a chocolate body with flaxen mane and tail. Bay-based horses will have lightened lower legs and flaxen mane and tail.

So she has black pigment in her coat which is distrubuted evenly. She has one copy of the cream dilution, which is where the smokey black came from and she has on copy of the silver diluetion, which means she will hafve a chocolate body and flaxen mane.

I wonder if she is done changing colors yet?

She's very cute!
default_wub.png
Congratulations on her wins......I'm sure that's just the start for her!
default_biggrin.png

Hay Brigid, your filly is stunning an such a beautiful color. Congratulations on the show wins.

She sure is growing up fast, and looking pretty!
default_wub.png
Congrats on your placings with her!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back