Registration Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnmother

Reaction score
I have to opportunity to purchase three very nice horses, none are trained, none have been shown. The contact was made through a friend of a friend. The hitch is - (I know ya'all are gonna say steer clear) only the mare is registered, and I am not 100% sure in who's name at this point. The Stallion was registered but registration wasn't important to this owner and she never made the temporary papers permanent. The Gelding is a product of the two and therefore has no papers.

So my question is can the stallion (13) and the gelding (4) be registered at this late of a date. This is the message that I received from her regarding the registration situation. I would love to own all three of them, however not without papers.

"What do you want us to do for the registration? Mom has all the paper work for them to be registered. it was just a never big priority for her. Dion (the stallion) has a temporary registration from his youth. We have a letter from the previous owner stating she just never registered him as well as information regarding his breeders. We were told all that was needed was that letter and he could be registered. So, if we have that letter, and then a bill of sale from mom to you with her letter that she never registered him, what else do you think we would need? As for Snickers (the gelding), mom has the sheet to affirm that Dion was the only stallion that could have sired him. Once Dion is registered, registering Snicker's shouldn't be difficult, right? I'm not certain what all it takes as registering horses is never something I have done."

In re reading this sounds like the transfer wasn't completed from two owners ago. This is starting to sound scary!

Do the papers have to make every transfer individually to become valid or can we skip two if the paper work is all there and never completed?

Edited to add - there was of course no stallion report submitted regarding the now geldings conception since registration wasn't important at the time. These horses are really nice animals not like they were culls that shouldn't have been bred. Just an owner (an older lady who has had them for a long time) who had little knowledge of the importance of registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the stallion has temp papers then you can bring him permanent now--you need a temp to perm application signed ( are we talking AMHR or AMHA?)--a letter won't help anything.

Once the stallion is permanent then you can register the gelding normally. You will need to have a stallion report sent in with a late fee. You may need signatures from last owners--depends on what you have for transfers...

If you have a signed blank transfer you could fill your name in. If you have completed transfers then you have to follow the ownership chain and register all those transfers.

We are talking AMHR on the Stallion and Mare. So he would have to transfer to his current owner first, the same on the mare (her papers are permanent ones just never transfered; then late stallion report and register gelding, then transfer all three to me. So the current owner would have to become a member and complete all transfers and register the gelding. Then I could transfer all three normally.

They are going to scan all the paperwork that they have and email it to me to review to see how much of a hassle and how many missed transfers there are. I am hoping it is only the breeder to the current owner so it would be one on each horse and then register the gelding.

I am assuming we need a certificate of gelding on the gelding as well! I wonder if that vet is even still around......

We are talking AMHR on the Stallion and Mare. So he would have to transfer to his current owner first, the same on the mare (her papers are permanent ones just never transfered; then late stallion report and register gelding, then transfer all three to me. So the current owner would have to become a member and complete all transfers and register the gelding. Then I could transfer all three normally.

They are going to scan all the paperwork that they have and email it to me to review to see how much of a hassle and how many missed transfers there are. I am hoping it is only the breeder to the current owner so it would be one on each horse and then register the gelding.

I am assuming we need a certificate of gelding on the gelding as well! I wonder if that vet is even still around......

Wow I seriously only posted that once. Can anyone clean that up I don't know why it posted what three times?

Wow I seriously only posted that once. Can anyone clean that up I don't know why it posted what three times?

Well we decided that this endeavor was not for us. I would much rather buy one quality mare from someone who's ducks are already in a row than try to line up someone elses three ducks to do them a favor. I wished them well with their sale but told them since they were unable to show me the papers (which I know from the registry do exist) and the interim transfers that were never made I needed to pass and unregistered animals do not fit into my farm where we want to show and breed.

were these horses in the northwest? I was just told about some here that need new homes and they want them to be together.

Latest posts

Back