Registering your own farm prefix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrescentMinis

Reaction score
I tried doing a search for this, no luck, so here are the questions:

I have a weanling filly (AMHR) that the seller is leaving to me to name/register and I have not done this before. Looked at AMHR's website and I see a form to register a farm prefix for 200.00. Am I correct to assume this is what needs to be used to register the horse under my own farm name (which we haven't actually settled on)? Can I just use my last name in her registration with the name we choose for her, and not have that considered a "farm prefix"?

Thanks in advance....I would call AMHR if it weren't the middle of Labor Day weekend when I finally get around to paperwork!

The farm prefix is only if you don't want others to use a name that you have. Kind of like doing a copywrite on the name for registration purposes.

You can name the horse anything you want as long as no one else has reserved it.

You don't have to have a farm prefix.

Ohhhhh, thank you for explaining this.

So if I use a name which no one else has before, then it's accepted (or if I put a name down too similar to someone else's, they would use my second choice name I presume?).

Ohhhhh, thank you for explaining this.
So if I use a name which no one else has before, then it's accepted (or if I put a name down too similar to someone else's, they would use my second choice name I presume?).
Yes, if you use a name that has not been reserved, your farm name will be accepted.

You can use a farm name that was previously used, actually one that is currently used if it has not been reserved.

You can decide on a farm name, choose not to register it, someone else can come along, registered it as their own and you will have to come up with a new farm name. Even if you already have 10, 50, or 100 foals/horses registered under that name.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as no one has purchased the "prefix" (first part) or the "suffix" (last part) of the name you choose, you can name her whatever you want including the word you feel you'll want to have as your own prefix.

Registering your prefix (or suffix) makes it yours alone so that no one else may use it. Had I not registered Whinny For Me as my prefix, and Perfection as a suffix, I could use both words at the start and end of names, but so could everyone else.

Note, too, when I purchsed the suffix Perfection, it was because people were snagging up common words. I didn't want to keep it from anyone. I just didn't want to have it kept from me.

If you want, you may register your prefix with both AMHR and AMHA.

Jill - you have me confused - Can you explain the " suffix" part to me?
A suffix is what goes at the end of a name. Some farms will use their farm name as a suffix. So you might have a horse called Spot of Green Acres.

I have my prefix registered with AMHA and AMHR. I also have a suffix registered with AMHR, and that is "Perfection". I'm the only one who has the right to name an AMHR horse something that ends in "perfection" (for example, Flirting with Perfection). However, I don't mind giving people permission to use it if they asked me.

Back when I bought it, I was disgusted to see I couldn't register a horse I owned at the time using "Treasure" at the end of her name, because someone had bought that suffix. That prompted me to purchase "Perfection" to keep it available to me (I have lots of names ending with it that I like).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back