Registering a mini to AMHR?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my first miniature horse in 2011 as a yearling and she came with papers to be registered with AMHR. I'm kind of confused how to though. Here's what it says;

http://www.shetlandminiature.com/member-services/forms/category/registration/2.html

She is two years old now, and will be three in July. I'd like to register her before she turns three. So exactly how much do I need to pay etc.? I just need to make sure--thank you!

EDIT:

Also, the lady who I bought Éowyn from also gave me the Stallion Service Certificate and signed everything so that's covered. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you would pay the two year old.

You also need to be a member so you have that fee if your not already one.

If this is for permanent than I think you have to pay that fee as well.

Don't for get to take 4 photos. I just got mine back because I thought the picture on

My girls papers was the photos. Lol

So I have to send them in again.

Others can tell you for sure.

But you can call them or email them. They emailed me back the next day.

Wish I would of done that before I sent them in the first time.

So I need to pay $45.00 for her being a two year old, $65.00 for membership, Transfer for $25.00, and Permanent for $5.00? What is the Duplicate Certificate?

Thanks!

You have to pay the $60 fee for 3 years and over-- if her 3rd birthday is coming in July then for registration purposes she is a three year old now (birthday as of Janusry 1st)

Now I'm confused, I thought you brought the papers permenent after the actual third birthday, not useing the Jan. first.

The easiest thing to do is CALL them. They are nice people and don't bite....
default_smile.png

I, too, thought she would be considered three, but the rulebook stated "turns a year older on Jan 1st for breeding and showing purposes only", so....
default_unsure.png
I'm not sure!

She can't go perm until after her actual birthday, so that will save you $5!

You do NOT need a duplicate certif. That's only if you lost the original!

Just the other day someone on here posted that they waited until January to register their foal (2 months old) and so had to pay the yearling registration fee. There have been other instances where people waited until after January 1st and then discovered that their horse was a year older than they had thought. In one case a pony that was still not quite to its actual 2nd birthday when its registration application was sent in was denied registration because it was considered to be a two year old as of January 1stand as a 2 year old DNA and parentage verification was requiredand because the sire was deceased without DNA the pony was then ineligible for registration. So yes, January 1st does count for registration purposes as well. I am quite sure of that, even though I have never put it to the testI always send my papers in before year end and so have not had to pay the extra fee for the horse being a year older. Do phone the office and askas said, office staff is very helpful with questions of this sort.

And yes, permanent papers do have to be done after the actual 3rd birthday so at this point you would not send in the permanent application.

I believe there is also a rule which states that the breeder (or original owner actuallythe person who would have registered the foal had it been registered promptly) must be a member in order for the registration application to be processedthis was in effect up until recently, not sure if it has changed? I have not heard anything about itI didnt even know about it, but someone posted on here some time ago saying that they had encountered this problem. They had bought a horse on application & then couldnt register it without buying a membership for the original ownerthat was news to me but at the time I asked a director and had it confirmed that this was the requirement. Hopefully if this rule is still in effect your breeder has a current membership so that you wont have to buy one for her.

Thank you all, I just emailed AMHR and they replied and said she counts as a 3 year old. I think I'll wait to register her after her 3rd birthday so I don't have to pay the $5 fee ;) I'll try to get in contact with the breeder too to see if she has a membership so I can save $65! Thanks again!

I believe there is also a rule which states that the breeder (or original owner actuallythe person who would have registered the foal had it been registered promptly) must be a member in order for the registration application to be processedthis was in effect up until recently, not sure if it has changed? I have not heard anything about itI didnt even know about it, but someone posted on here some time ago saying that they had encountered this problem. They had bought a horse on application & then couldnt register it without buying a membership for the original ownerthat was news to me but at the time I asked a director and had it confirmed that this was the requirement. Hopefully if this rule is still in effect your breeder has a current membership so that you wont have to buy one for her.
That was me. Given a Shetland filly about three years ago, and she came with apps. When I went to register her, they said her breeders needed to be members and since I KNEW they wouldn't pay up I paid for everything.

HOWEVER: a few months later they wanted people to write their directors on changing this "unwritten" rule and I couldn't get my letter off fast enough! Sure enough, they did change it and now as long as the person doing the paperwork is a member all is hunky-dorey!! So, one less worry!!

So the breeder doesn't have to be a member, but I do? Or both? Or if they have it, then I don't have to?

It is my understanding the person sending in the paperwork must be a member of ASPC/AMHR.I have sent in paperwork for horses I sold,paid the fees(but collected money from new owner) and requested that papers be sent to new owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Thank you all for your time to answer =) I will hopefully register in July after her 3rd b-day =)

Latest posts

Back