Registering A Foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Love

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So heres the deal... I had an AMHR elegible gelding....and a couple months ago I ended up trading him for an AMHR registered 3 year old "possibly" pregnant mare. After she brought him home, she looked over the papers and said that I didn't give her a transfer paper... but we went over the papers together and everything was there. So then she said since i didn't give her a registrable horse she won't give me any papers to register the foal. I'm kind of new to minis and especially breeding them. At first we thought she wasn't pregnant, and since some unexpected things came up I was kind of not in the financial situation to have a vet check her.But now she is much wider and if you feel her you can feel a foal kick in her belly. So we are going to have the vet come to confirm things and make sure everythings okay. This will be her first foal since she is only 3. Is there any way I can register the foal once and if its born without any kind of papers from the previous owner? She would be bred to her stallion. IBut I'd really like to register the foal because with papers it has a better chance of going to a good home. I live by Sugarcreek Auction in Ohio(most may not know of it) and I rescue miniatures from there. Most are grade foals that are in horrible condition. I wouldn't want my baby to end up there!

no you cannot register the foal without her do a stud breeding report and a signed transfer, can you not just send her another signed transfer so that you can register the foal??

If she doesnt give you the paperwork there really is no way to get the foal registered. Why dont you just fill out another transfer for her, as long as you fill out the geldings information so that it cant be used on a different horse then it shouldnt be a big issue. If he isnt already named then have her tell you what his name will be so that you can put that in the name line with pending as the reg. number (Im assuming he is on application since you said he was only eligible?) . Hope that make sense
default_biggrin.png
As long as she would agree to still send you the foal papers (make sure it is in writing/email for proof) then I would go ahead and send the other transfer (with all fields filled out).

no you cannot register the foal without her do a stud breeding report and a signed transfer, can you not just send her another signed transfer so that you can register the foal??

I never put him in my name and sent the app in.... & I am not a current member of AMHR. The previous owner of the gelding before me never put him in her name either. I gave her the number of the previous owner of the gelding before me and the breeder to see if there was any way to get another paper because I honestly do not kow how! I never meant to give her and unregistrable horse, and we looked over everything before she left with my gelding and handed her mare off to me. I hate to do that to a person! I feel bad but I don't know what to do.

If she doesnt give you the paperwork there really is no way to get the foal registered. Why dont you just fill out another transfer for her, as long as you fill out the geldings information so that it cant be used on a different horse then it shouldnt be a big issue. If he isnt already named then have her tell you what his name will be so that you can put that in the name line with pending as the reg. number (Im assuming he is on application since you said he was only eligible?) . Hope that make sense
default_biggrin.png
As long as she would agree to still send you the foal papers (make sure it is in writing/email for proof) then I would go ahead and send the other transfer (with all fields filled out).

Doesnt really make sense... sorry! I am just new to all this stuff! But yes, he only had an application. He had an AMHR and AMHA, but he outgrew his AMHA. How can I get this paper? A while back she said she would need to know before 12/15 so she can send the sud report in before she just refused to give it to me... it was kind of dumb of me to wait until now to try to get this sorted out!!

Doesnt really make sense... sorry! I am just new to all this stuff! But yes, he only had an application. He had an AMHR and AMHA, but he outgrew his AMHA. How can I get this paper? A while back she said she would need to know before 12/15 so she can send the sud report in before she just refused to give it to me... it was kind of dumb of me to wait until now to try to get this sorted out!!

Judging by your reply to the other poster, my post doesnt probably matter LOL! If you arent the owner of record or breeder to be signing the transfer then it is all up to whoever that is to give her a new transfer. If it all ends up working out later and she gives you the paperwork for the foal, you could pay the late fee on the stallion report to have her send it in after the deadline.

Judging by your reply to the other poster, my post doesnt probably matter LOL! If you arent the owner of record or breeder to be signing the transfer then it is all up to whoever that is to give her a new transfer. If it all ends up working out later and she gives you the paperwork for the foal, you could pay the late fee on the stallion report to have her send it in after the deadline.

Lol i see. Gah, its all so confusing! So would the breeder be able to give her a new transfer paper? I'd be willing to pay any fees necessary!

To be absolutely letter of the "AMHR" law - there would need to be a transfer from each previous owner of the gelding. But what can happen, and usually does, is that the last REGISTERED owner of the horse would need to send a transfer from them to the newest owner. If it's dated with a recent day (say today) then there would be no problem with extra fees, unless the papers are expired, and there would be extra - late - fees for that.

I'm not sure what you are saying that it is an "Application." If the horse has never been registered, you would need to get the breeder to do the transfer paperwork.

If you can get the transfer from the last registered owner or breeder, then it sounds like the person you traded with will do the stallion report, which can be put in late, again there is a late fee.

All mares bred by a stallion should be included in the stud report, even if a different breed registry.

Most breeding farms include AMHA mares on their AMHR stallion reports, even if not registered in AMHR. Just in case they (or a new owner) decides to register the mare and/or the resulting foal in the AMHR registry. As long as the mare was listed on the AMHR stud report, the ancestry can be included on the paperwork.

I have talked to the previous owner and we have agreed to stay on good terms and help eachother out
default_biggrin.png
She will send in a stud report for me and I am going to help her with the transfer paper issue. The foal will be her stallions first foal so she is excited to see pictures once/if born. & she is very happy with the gelding she got from me and can't wait for show season with him. Thanks for the help everyone!

I have talked to the previous owner and we have agreed to stay on good terms and help eachother out
default_biggrin.png
She will send in a stud report for me and I am going to help her with the transfer paper issue. The foal will be her stallions first foal so she is excited to see pictures once/if born. & she is very happy with the gelding she got from me and can't wait for show season with him. Thanks for the help everyone!
Glad to hear it is working out for both parties.

Latest posts

Back