Regional/Championship Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
Was discussing with a friend recently, what classes we were going to enter at the Championship show, and she asked me a question, that I wasn't sure how to answer.

The rules state that a horse must be shown at, at least one previous AMHA show to qualify to be shown in a Championship show.

She has been showing her weanling colt this year & plans to show him at the Championship show. She would also like to show him & his dam in the "Dam & Current Year Foal" class. But, the dam has not been shown this year, as she was pregnant (and there were no "Dam & Current Year Foal" classes at the shows she was at.) So, does anyone know for sure if she would be able to show this mare with her colt in that class at the Championship show, even tho she has not been shown this year?

This brought up the question of "multiple horse" classes too. For instance "Get of Sire" where there has to be (3) horses shown. Must all (3) have to have been shown in an AMHA show this year prior to the Championship show to qualify to be shown? Frankly, since these classes usually aren't offered at the smaller local shows, I hadn't even thought about it until filling out my entries for the Championship show.

I have three Frame Overo siblings that I "thought" would make a good entry in "Get of Sire"....but only two of them have been shown this year. My friend thought I should be able to do that.....but the way the rules read...I think not.

I DID try asking "someone" who is involved in putting these shows on...and didn't get much help. They just said, sure...go ahead. No one really "checks".
default_unsure.png
: But I sure don't want to pay to enter any of these classes & go to the trouble of getting 3 horses ready, and then possibly be disqualified because one hasn't been shown this year.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :no:

I think any *0* point classes don't require that the horse have been shown prior to the show. I do know that weanlings can't show in classes such as Color or Amateur without having been to a prior show. I asked Kristy Mackey myself on that one.

I think I do know that weanlings can't show in classes such as Color or Amateur without having been to a prior show. I asked Kristy Mackey myself on that one.
I didn't know that. I assumed that weanlings were exempt for all classes in which they could compete. Guess that changes one of my entries that I faxed in today.

I didn't know that. I assumed that weanlings were exempt for all classes in which they could compete. Guess that changes one of my entries that I faxed in today.
Tony, Cammie was wanting to show one of our weanlings in Multi Color and Amateur besides it's open halter class, but I wondered whether she could since a horse is 'supposed' to have been to a show and shown in the division it would compete in at the Championship shows. Weanlings are exempt from prior show attendance for their height class only according to Kristy Mackey.

So I decided to take a different weanling than originally planned and enter it's height class and Produce of Dam and Best Matched Pair since those are non point qualifying classes. I am now wondering however, if a weanling can enter those classes without having been to any prior shows?
default_wacko.png
: I plan to contact AMHA tomorrow and find out for sure. I don't think they clarified just what class(es) weanlings can actually show in!

Just heard from Kristy. Weanlings can show in '0' point classes at the Championship shows without prior shows. My guess is, though, that there will be a lot of entries for other classes (pointed) that weanlings could show in and I just wonder how AMHA will handle that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard from Kristy. Weanlings can show in '0' point classes at the Championship shows without prior shows. My guess is, though, that there will be a lot of entries for other classes (pointed) that weanlings could show in and I just wonder how AMHA will handle that?

I just got into the mini thing. I have read and reread the rule book and cannot find where it says you have to show before the championship shows. I live in central Calif. Where would I show next year so that I would be ready for the championship in Reno. I am going there this month to watch and to pick up my seventh mini. I was only going to have two. LOL. Is there any trainers in California which I could go to for help. When I showed QH you could finds trainers everywhere. Thank you Sewbarn

The way I understood it the reason for weanling not having to attend a show prior to the Championship or World show wasn't because it was a zero point class. It was based more on the age issue. In my area alot of weanlings aren't really able to attend a local first because they are born to late. It is also to big a stress on some of them at such a young age. The first group of my weanlings will have just been weaned by the Championship show. The others would need to bring Mom with them. Some people will have "weaners" that would have to be very recently born ( 1- 2 weeks) to attend a local show first.

There are lots of non point classes available that the non weanling horses could enter but they would be held to the one local show rule. The one local show rule is to prevent people from skipping all the local shows and just going to Championship show to qualify for the World. I guess some people don't have to worry about placing in the top 5!

I think it's a very good rule to allow weanlings to show at Championship Shows and World in their open halter classes without prior shows since weanlings stress so easily and get sick.

I think the confusion lies as to whether weanlings can show in other classes besides their open halter class. I don't think that was made clear.

Latest posts

Back