Red wroms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassett

Reaction score
West Central Wisconsin on the Mississippi River
I wormed my horses this week. This morning I found a small (1/2 inch) red worm in a pile of poop. Do you think I should give them another dose of wormer? I live in Wisconsin so everything is frozen. So do you think they would be okay or would you give them another dose? What would you do (if you lived in the frozen north)? Or should I think like this? When in doubt err on the safe side.

Was this a 'fat' red worm, or a very 'thin' red worm? If a fat one it was probably a bot and you 'got him'! It's after a hard freeze so the bot flies are dead. You will want to check your horse's hair on the lower legs and sides for tiny whitish bot eggs and if you find any remove them by using a bot block to scrape them off or wet them with warm water to make them open up and die before your horse gets them in his mouth.

If it was a very thin (like a needle) red worm I would deworm again in about 30 days.

Good job on the deworming!

Charlotte

After looking at pictures I do think it maybe was a bot. It was kind of fat definitely not thin like a needle. It appeared to be white with blood inside. Thanks for your input Charlotte. I hardly ever see any worms after worming.
default_aktion033.gif

Google Blood worms in horses. I would definately worm again.

Latest posts

Back