Red Cell dosage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
I've found 1 oz daily for horses not in training, but this refers to big horses, so would it be the same for minis, like vaccines? Or is it a weight thing?

Do horses tend to like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it's not like vaccines.

Full sized horses should get 1-2 oz. daily of Red Cell or Lixotinic. (I have found that horses LOVE the taste of Lixotinic and only tolerate the Red Cell. Of course, Lixotinic is far more expensive and made of beef liver so that grosses me out...)

A mini would get .25 to half an ounce daily.

Andrea

Our vet recommended Lixotinic over Red Cell. The cost of Lixotinic is pretty high....anywhere from $69 to around $100 a gallon. But, it goes a long way. We had a mare that was borderline anemic and gave her 15cc Lixotinic once a day, just syringed into her mouth. She loved it and was the first at the pasture gate waiting for her "treat". We also gave it to Bond Peppy Power, as he aged his appetite declined and we were quite concerned about him. Top Dressing his feed with Lixotinic really perked him back up and his appetite increased. I could tell he just felt better and this was the only change to his diet. He got 6cc in his AM feeding and 6cc in his PM feeding.

From the web...."Lixotinic is a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement containing 75 mg Iron, 1.2 mg Copper, plus Calcium, Phosphorous, vitamin B12, Thiamine, Riboflavin and Niacin. Use during taxing situations such as racing, trail riding, traveling, debilitation, gestation/foaling, and for finicky eaters. Give orally or on food. 1 tsp per 25 lb body weight."

Latest posts

Back