Red Bag Delivery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
Our Mare Galloping G Shekinah Glory was expecting her second foal to the same stallion....Mustardseed Legionaires Destiny.

Last year she delivered a beautiful homozygous black and white colt... TINY...though a normal presentation and delivery, he was hip locked. All it took was twisting his body just a tiny bit and rotating him by lifting the leg toward the ground up toward the ceiling(while the mare was laying on her side) and he came out relatively easily. But it was a tight fit. So I was afraid this year that it would be another tight delivery.

Last year she delivered at 326 days. This year she was obviously in labor at 335 days.

She laid down and started pushing. I could not see a bubble. Left her push a little more... still nothing. I found it kind of odd since last year the white bubble was there almost immediately for her. So I went in up to my wrist and felt her cervix, not very open. But my hand being in there brought on VERY strong contractions.

I watched a bit more and still nothing so went back in and felt the smooth bubble, brought my hand out and it had no blood on it and the bubble felt smooth.

GOOD... I thought I was safe.

As the bubble appeared, it was white....phew....thank goodness.

With the next push my heart sank. It had already taken a good 10 + min to get to this point from the first push and what did I see...RED VELVET on the bottom part of the bubble, just appearing.

I motioned for the "team" inside watching to come out. And in the seconds I had to think, what went through my mind was that I wasn't sure if it was a red bag or not. Because the white appeared but my gut told me not to think, just to get it out because obviously the oxygen transfer was no longer complete.

Forget finding a scissors.. I was ripping immediately. Found only one leg and a nose. Reached in and didn't find another foot.

Not wanting to waste any time I went in again deep, found the foot, brought it up into the canal... and with one strong contraction she came flying out.

At first she didn't try to breathe or move so I cleared her nose and started rubbing. She "woke up" and from that point on it was obvious that this little girl was

mighty healthy. She was standing in 15 min, nursing in about 1 hr 45 min and running at 2 hours. She is spunky and beautiful.

When the vet was out the next morning I asked her if it really was a red bag because I thought it was either a red bag or a white bubble.

She said that any time the placenta precedes the foal the oxygen supply is compromised and that the foal needs to be delivered immediately.

When checking the placenta there were signs that it had been separated.

Here is our little sweetheart at 12 hours... I need to take new pix... she has really come upright and unfolded.

IMG_6347.jpg

I had watched the red bag delivery that had been posted on LB several weeks before and it sure was helpful. Thanks EVERYONE who posts and Mary Lou for the help and info we have to draw from on this sight.

I felt like my heart stood still while reading... but in the end a very nice filly. Thank God.

Thank you so much for the information! I print a hard copy and keep all this invaluable stuff.

Our Mare Galloping G Shekinah Glory was expecting her second foal to the same stallion....Mustardseed Legionaires Destiny.
Last year she delivered a beautiful homozygous black and white colt... TINY...though a normal presentation and delivery, he was hip locked. All it took was twisting his body just a tiny bit and rotating him by lifting the leg toward the ground up toward the ceiling(while the mare was laying on her side) and he came out relatively easily. But it was a tight fit. So I was afraid this year that it would be another tight delivery.

Last year she delivered at 326 days. This year she was obviously in labor at 335 days.

She laid down and started pushing. I could not see a bubble. Left her push a little more... still nothing. I found it kind of odd since last year the white bubble was there almost immediately for her. So I went in up to my wrist and felt her cervix, not very open. But my hand being in there brought on VERY strong contractions.

I watched a bit more and still nothing so went back in and felt the smooth bubble, brought my hand out and it had no blood on it and the bubble felt smooth.

GOOD... I thought I was safe.

As the bubble appeared, it was white....phew....thank goodness.

With the next push my heart sank. It had already taken a good 10 + min to get to this point from the first push and what did I see...RED VELVET on the bottom part of the bubble, just appearing.

I motioned for the "team" inside watching to come out. And in the seconds I had to think, what went through my mind was that I wasn't sure if it was a red bag or not. Because the white appeared but my gut told me not to think, just to get it out because obviously the oxygen transfer was no longer complete.

Forget finding a scissors.. I was ripping immediately. Found only one leg and a nose. Reached in and didn't find another foot.

Not wanting to waste any time I went in again deep, found the foot, brought it up into the canal... and with one strong contraction she came flying out.

At first she didn't try to breathe or move so I cleared her nose and started rubbing. She "woke up" and from that point on it was obvious that this little girl was

mighty healthy. She was standing in 15 min, nursing in about 1 hr 45 min and running at 2 hours. She is spunky and beautiful.

When the vet was out the next morning I asked her if it really was a red bag because I thought it was either a red bag or a white bubble.

She said that any time the placenta precedes the foal the oxygen supply is compromised and that the foal needs to be delivered immediately.

When checking the placenta there were signs that it had been separated.

Here is our little sweetheart at 12 hours... I need to take new pix... she has really come upright and unfolded.

IMG_6347.jpg

I had watched the red bag delivery that had been posted on LB several weeks before and it sure was helpful. Thanks EVERYONE who posts and Mary Lou for the help and info we have to draw from on this sight.

what a beautiful foal!!!! I went thru almost the same exact thing this morning ..cept my bubble was deep red....how weird is that....I was like you..did not really 'think' just reacted..good for you!!!!!! It is an awesome feeling to get them out and have them healthy....I love this place!!!

Congrats, Julie!

Our 'red bag' delivery was much like yours- with the white bubble showing some and then the red velvet came out with it. Our baby did not make it (this was over two years ago). I feel that now I can be better prepared should it happen again since there has been so much helpful information on this forum.

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us, Julie.

Love your foal
default_smile.png

Peggy

Thank you so much Julie for sharing your experience. I think every little bit helps all of us, especially when each situation is different. Having these experiences and the techniques used to read about gives others the knowledge but also the confidence to do what they need to do. My vet is no less than 2 hours away and to have LB to read the experiences of others and help prepare us for many different situations is by far the most valuable resource. Thanks again Julie and everyone that shares your personal experiences for the benefit of all.

What a PRETTY little girl!
default_wub.png
Thank Heaven you were alerted and KNEW what to do.......

Your story is the perfect example of how a bit of knowledge and being pro-active can save a foal's life!

What a great save.....and a beautiful little girl! Destiny is certainly giving you some nice little babies!
default_yes.gif

default_wub.png
congrats

what a pretty foal. I love pintos.
default_biggrin.png
I am so glad she was able to deliver safely.

Wow Julie, that was scary!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I bet your heart was pounding! SO GLAD things worked out ok and your filly is fine! Yikes. I am afraid to ask what your mare will do for an encore next year!!

She's a beautiful girl. I'm so glad everything worked out fine and both mare and baby are doing so well.
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations! That was fantastic that you were able to save her, she is beautiful! It is truly wonderful that we have this forum that we can learn from each other and make our horses lives better because of it.

Congratulations on saving your beautiful little filly - a great save. You never know when you will be faced with a tricky birth but all you can do is arm yourself with knowledge and hopefully be ready should somthing happen. I always revise every yr and thats why this forum is a great source for research and reading other peoples storys.

Julie that is the perfect example of why it is so important to be at a miniature horse birth.

If you had not, the outcome could have been so different.

Thank goodness for halter alarms and cameras, and things like Mare Stare, that clue us in to being there at THE moment of birth !
default_yes.gif

Thanks for telling us about this delivery, good to here it all ended well and she sure is a cutie.

Latest posts

Back