Rebreeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellcasterminis

Reaction score
I want to rebreed Star, but not on her foal heat. IF memory serves me correct she should have her foal heat 7-9 days after foaling correct? Approx. when should she come back into heat after that?

I believe it is 16-17 days after the last day of heat that they come back in again. That's usually when I re-breed mine anyway.

Does anyone here have info on wether it is harder to get a mare bred when bred on heats after foal heat?? Id like to gt a couple of my mares to foal a little later as it is cold up here in Maine and with finals the first week of May it would be kind of nice to be able to sleep that week when not in school of course LOL Kath
default_wacko.png
:

If a mare waits more than 12 days before ovulating during her foal heat, she's perfectly breedable that first heat. If you don't breed her, and don't short cycle her, she'll have approximately 14 days of diestrus, then will begin to come back in again. So her first post-foal heat heat should happen somewhere between days 26-30 post foaling (If I did all that math correctly...)

If the mare waits before ovulating her foal heat, that heat is breedable and just as fertile as a normal cycle. After the foal heat, the cycles are completely normal and should be as fertile as that mare is normally. If she ovulates too soon during her foal heat, that foal heat will not be fertile and you should wait for her next heat.

With a routine, no problems foaling I have bred on the foal heat and had nothing to worry about.

I had one Arab mare who would start her foal heat just after foaling and was fertile at 4 days- bred on this cycle the only thing we had to worry about was how early the foal was born!!

If a mare is running with the stallion she will be bred on the foal heat- and I have no worries about using it.

I have noticed, however, that a lot of Mini mares do not have an "active" foal heat and the first noticeable one is around 20-30 days after foaling.

Mares ovulate every 21 days (give or take a day) and will normally start another season 10 days after the END of the previous one.

The first few days of the cycle are not fertile , breeding every other day to the end of the cycle and making sure you get the last day of season is the best way to ensure a foal.

If you opt to use the foal heat, old wives tales aside, there is no reason why the mare should not have a healthy pregnancy- in fact I was always taught this was a good heat to use!!

If the mare's uterus is not ready for a new baby she will not sustain the pregnancy- I tend to think Nature has been handling this problem for thousands of years, chances are she has it all under control!!!

You are right. Any mare bred on foal heat will be full of bacteria. Not a single one will have a clean culture. But for some reason that doesn't matter
default_smile.png
Mares will get pregnant and carry just fine regardless. The key is when the mare ovulates. Too soon and the uterous hasn't involuted enough and isn't fertile.

Hi Buffy,

I don't usually breed on the foal heat because I want my babies later than that would put them normally here where we have such short summers and still cold springs.

My biggest problem I have found and why I would use the foal heat if timing was not a problem is that several of my mares show to the stallion during their foal heat and then do not want anything to do with him after that as long as their foal is nursing.

I usually just let them take the year off for that year rather than try to force them. But if it was important to get her settled I'd go ahead with the foal heat.

And yes, I know that if they were running with the stallion, he might talk her into it, but I normally hand breed most of the time.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back