REALLY Stupid Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humhill

Reaction score
Ok, this is a really weird question, but this is our first mini donkey.

I read somewhere (don't know where) that donkey's coats are not waterproof like horses. Now, this kinda doesn't make sense to me. But, I know that since they are different species, things such as that could be different.

Now here's the stupid question... Can donkeys be body clipped like horses? Do they shed out normally in the summer? I know our minis have to be body clipped because it seems like they will never shed.

Hope I don't seem too stupid!

There are no stupid questions........

My donkey just hates to get wet. It really angers him if I don't let him eat inside when it's raining. I do body clip him in the summer but they will shed out on their own. The one thing you DO NOT want to do is body clip a donkey foal. The jenny will reject it.

I have just the opposite of Shawna,all my donkeys prefer to stay dry, but one...regardless of the weather she will stand out in the worst of rainstorms and refuse to go in. When I do lock her in a stall she just cant wait to go back outside, before coming to me she was out 24/7 with no protection to speak of, so maybe this has alot to do with it. Yes, you can clip a donkey but never a foal. Corinne

our philosophy is, the only stupid questions are the ones you DON'T ask, because then you don't get the answers :bgrin so never worry about asking questions, especially here on the donkey forum, we are a ~nice~ bunch of folks
default_yes.gif
:

and i will agree with what shawna and corinne said... we can and do clip if necessary, but our donks generally shed out pretty good because it gets so hot here. boy are they SLEEK in the summer :new_shocked: we are expecting our first foals this spring so will have to bow to experience as far as the babies. we did clip our yearling who stayed fuzzy and it was just so hot here... but since she wasn't nursing it wasn't an issue. and our donks pretty much don't like the rain either so they take advantage of their shades to stay dry.

by the way welcome to the wonderful world of donkeys! WE LOVE OUR LONGEARS!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Thanks guys!

I LOVE her! She's the sweetest equine I've ever owned. She just craves attention. But boy does she have a stubborn streak!

Hi Hum...Like Corinne says....she has one Donk that doesn't mind the rain/wet...while others run for cover. LOL...I also have the one that doesn't mind...and then the others that run for cover....it's a stampede ! lol

As for being more waterproof/or NOT...I don't have a clue. My donks get a nice winter coat...and every year they shed out differently....I am hoping since I have them on Flax Seed...they will shed out better/faster this year.
default_yes.gif
:

There are no stupid Q's here...we learn from each other.

Post pics of your buddy...we would love to see him/her :aktion033: Teri

I have also read that somewhere, but don't remember where. I believe where ever I read it, explained why they are different than horses, but can't remember that part either. :eek:

I know my boys head for the barn when it is raining or snowing!!

Vicki

Latest posts

Back