Razoring eyes/muzzle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash136

Reaction score
Hi All, I have noticed that the horses at nationals have their eyes and muzzle razord. or maybe their are clipped really close. I was just wondering if any of you or anybody you know of still razor the eyes and the muzzle? I did it one year when i first got into showing and that was my first and last time doing it. do the judges prefer them to be Razord or can they win with just some baby gel on the eyes and muzzle?

Yes, I've done it, at the local level and for Nationals, I hate it. I no longer do it at the local show, I just shave with a 50 blade, but for the National Show, which we couldn't do this year it is a must. I don't ever shave off the eye lashes as the big time trainers so, as I feel the horse needs them. I've had horses place at Nationals with eye lashes so don't think the judges will mark you down for that.

I don't razor, only did one time at Nationals and didn't really prefer the look. On the muzzle and above the eyes I just use a #50 blade and some baby oil gel and we are good to go.

I'm about to start clipping with 50 and 30 blades on the face. Plan to work up to razoring the ones who will suit it.

Still do most of my bodies in a 10 though.

While we usually always razor our horses, this might come as a surprise, but our 2 year old stallion did not have his muzzle razored at Nationals. Just a little above his eyes. Samantha just used a 50 on his muzzle, thats it. If you not sure which horse he was, he was the one with the Res National Grand Champion award, RHA Splash Of Curry.

I will but it depends. I do like the look on some horses, but I do not do it for every show. I only do it for halter horses, and usually it's only for "big" shows. I do not razor driving and performance horses. I also feel colour of the horse makes a difference. I do not razor my perlino or frame overo. A good horse is still very competitive with a decent clip job and IMO razoring is not required to win.

Nationals is the only case where I feel halter horses must be razored. Not performance horses though.
default_saludando.gif

When I'm able to show again I hope this trend has faded away. I don't like it. If it's still the fad I won't be doing it. I've shown for many years and never had to worry about doing anything other than clipping the longer hairs on the face.

I think it depends on the horse. My stallion is a bay pinto with a solid head, and imo, looks MUCH better razored. Otherwise, his head looks a bit plain. When I clip him with a 50, the short hairs on his muzzle that are left are an odd orangish color, so I always razor him.

My gelding can go either way, but I think I prefer him done with a 50. He has white on his face, and I hate that pink skin look.

I think it depends on the horse.
I agree with this remark. I do like the look on some horses, but there are others it does not. I really do not like a light colored horse with dark skin razored personally. Just my opinion.
default_smile.png

I HAVE DONE IT BUT DON'T LIKE THE LOOK. A CLOSE SHAVE W/50 DOES AS GOOD AND I DON'T DO PERFORMANCE HORSES. I'VE SEEN HORSES WITH CUTS ON THE MUZZLES BLEEDING AND RAW. NOT WORTH IT.

I will but it depends. I do like the look on some horses, but I do not do it for every show. I only do it for halter horses, and usually it's only for "big" shows. I do not razor driving and performance horses. I also feel colour of the horse makes a difference. I do not razor my perlino or frame overo. A good horse is still very competitive with a decent clip job and IMO razoring is not required to win.

Nationals is the only case where I feel halter horses must be razored. Not performance horses though.
default_saludando.gif
I agree completely with this post.

I think it is way too extreme!! A 50 blade is close enough and every animal and human should have eyelashes. With the right highlight oil and halter and head clipped with a 15 blade and finished touches to muzzle and eyes with a 50 blade, they look amazing and not like plastic mannequins!

While we choose to not razor our stallion at Nationals, we do all of our other horses at shows. I like the look because my daughter does a very good facial. She takes her time and blends well. Our horses are also clipped with a 15 at local shows but at Nationals they are all done with a 30. Its a very clean, tight look. You can see any of my show horses on my website, none have scars, cuts, bald spots nor are they sunburned, insect infested or unhappy. And as long as its allowed and we feel it will make the horse look good, we will continue to present them this way.

I absolutely HATE it. I wish they would make everyone stop. Some people do a good job, but most I've seen are bleeding or scarred! It doesn't make any difference to a GOOD judge! As long as it's close and neat, you DO NOT need to razor! My husband is a judge and he hates it. He says if a judge can't tell when a horse has a nice head without the razoring, he's not much of a judge. I agree!!

Pam

I definetly think it's a look that doesn't suit all horses, and if you don't know what you're doing then it's better just to clip close.

But I think some of the insults are a bit unfair, we all have things we like or dislike when it comes to presentation. I personally don't like the super gelled forelock but I understand that it suits some horses and some people like it. Same goes for razoring.

We razor our halter horses that we feel will look good razored. I have one that doesn't look good that way, so we just clip him with a 50. We often do not razor at local shows.

Our driving horses are not razored.

I would love it if AMHA/AMHR banned razoring, but until then we will razor those that we think would look best that way.

Back