Rambunctious Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannonw

Reaction score
Need some advice on what to do with a 4-month-old colt. He is always trying to bite us and often tries to jump up on me. I have tried everything I can think of to make him learn he can't act that way but nothing seems to be getting through to him. After I discipline him he usually turns away from me and almost seems to pout but he comes right back to the bad behavior within minutes.

As for playmates he and my mini gelding seem to get along well and we also have a goat that seems pretty tolerant of his antics.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would say that your colt is being pretty normal for a lot of 4 month old foals (fillies included) He is 'experimenting' with his 'boundaries' and learning what he can and cannot do in life. Yes you will need to correct him, but as with any animal, if you stop him doing something you dont like or want, then you must provide him with something he is allowed to do - does this make sense?

Your gelding and your goat may 'get on with him and put up with him' but they are no alternative to a companion of his own type and age. He needs to 'playfight' with another colt to use up some of his energies.

Sorry, but the best advice I can give you is to buy/find/borrow a friend for him - just make sure it is another 'rambunctious' fella (love that word!) and not one of a quiet more placid nature!

Good luck!

Anna

I don't have a lot of experience with foals, rambunctious or otherwise, but I know with my nippy or challenging adult horses the answer has always been what Anna said- give them something else to do! The horse can't both bite and turn his head away from you, or bite and lower his head, or bite and trot in a circle, etc.

Pick an incompatible behavior like the ones listed above and reward him for that behavior rather than constantly focusing on what he shouldn't be doing. Teach him to stand a certain distance from you, or to back away from you in a controlled manner, or some other respectful behavior and reward him for it! At this age the easiest things to teach him are going to involve movement and play but be very careful not to accidentally teach him to nip and run away.
default_new_shocked.gif
He might think it's a fun new game to bite and back out of reach but I doubt you'll enjoy it as much.

Oh, and the easiest "cure?" A quick snip-snip and voila! Brain surgery!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Thanks for the advice. I will try some redirecting to see if that helps him. I am just glad to know that it is a pretty common behavior for foals. I was worried we were raising a little turd!
default_laugh.png

As for the "snip-snip" we will be getting that done when he is a year old for sure!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back