Raising and Orphaned Kitten

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhorses

Reaction score
I have a 4 week old kitten that I am caring for. A tom cat killed the other kittens in the barn, and I found this kitten injured. His back end was chewed up, his tail was chewed off, ahd the skin and fur on his butt and part way up his back is gone. I have been caring for him since Tuesday and he seems to be doing well. I have cared for orphaned kittens in the past, but none that were injured like this guy.

So I just have a few questions. How often should he be eating the Kitten Milk Replacer? And how much should he be eating? He is drinking OK out of a dish, but when he doesn't seem to drink much, i have been giving him more via syringe. I am also mixing a little Karo syrup with the KMR to add some sugar.

I am also wondering how often he should be pooping? He is peeing 3-4 times a day, but has only pooped a couple of times since Tuesday. I stimulate him to pee/poop after feedings, but he has just been going on his own in his box. I did give him subcutaneous IV fluid the first couple of days to get his strength up.

He is on Amoxycillin twice daily for his wounds and had booger eyes and nose too. He is strong and bright eyed and walking all over the house. Keeping him warm and lots of cuddling. He has alot of healing to do but I think the worst is behind him for now.

Any advice is appreciated!

I don't have any specific advice, but wanted to commend you on saving this little guy. And, let you know, cats are pretty resilent and can survive and do well after horrible things. [i've not fed such a young kitten, so don't know how much or how often they need the KMR.]

My house cat (on my lap now) only has 3 paws, she lost one Dec 2009 to frostbite; I found her with her paw frozen to a metal pipe panel; with diligent care she recovered, but did lose that paw (she did see a vet, we treated her medically, and she has done quite well).

personally, i would take him to the vet ASAP and make sure nothing was wrong that would cause him to not go poo.

your doing everything right by the sound of it, as for when/how often he eats, its mostly whenever and how much he wants.

btw i've raised 4 orphan kitties, good luck with him/her!

Don't forget to google the subject, which I'm sure you have. But yes, a vet can answer your questions too...and probably by phone! (Hopefully you have a vet who you know who'll do that.)

At 4 weeks he/she should start being weaned on to moist KITTEN food and by 6 weeks should be on that plus water - the milk should be phased out. One of the reasons why you are not seeing him poo maybe because he is still on his milk feed?

Well done you for taking care of this little Kitty, bless him/her. Good luck - it sounds as though he has found the perfect home for himself!

Anna

Oh yes my kids have done this a lot! You are doing great. Feed the baby as often as you can and also as said you can get her started on food now. Moisten it up with the forumla you made to get her started and start giving her some water too. She's going to poop! hugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Back