Rabies at Horse Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmatthewtaylor

Reaction score
LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - The Texas Department of State Health Services is warning people who may have attended a horse show in Lufkin in March that they may have been exposed to a horse that tested positive for rabies.

The Lufkin show, as well as a show in Belton, were attended by about 150 people from Texas, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana and Mississippi.

While risk of transmission to humans appears to be low, DSHS is attempting to contact show attendees about possible exposures. Rabies is a viral illness that is almost always fatal once symptoms develop.

The horse participated in events at the following two shows during its infectious period:

* March 19-21, American Southwest Texas Cutting Horse Association show, Belton

* March 25-27, Lufkin Cutting Horse Association show, Lufkin

Health officials are urging people who believe they have been exposed to the rabid horse to contact their health care provider or DSHS at (512) 458-7455 to determine if preventive treatment is warranted.

The horse was a 7-year-old bay quarter horse gelding with a faint star on its forehead. During the events, the horse was ridden and fed only by its owners and trainers and was stabled in a barn at each site.

Illness was first noticed in the horse March 31. It died April 4 and tested positive for rabies April 6.

That is incredibly sad. We always vaccinate for it. I can't imagine not vaccinating for it... especially in an animal that is being shown. Interesting.

Thanks for the heads up and reminder!

How is it transmitted? What is the incubation period once the infected animal leaves the facility?

We have always vaccinated for Rabies. It's not that expensive, and is recommended by our vet. Plus, we've got some skunks occasionally seen in the area.

Here is some info from an article:

"Diagnosing rabies proves difficult

because of the wide range of clinical

signs. Historically, descriptions of the

initial symptoms such as "furious"

and "paralytic or dumb" were used,

but these can be misleading. Symptoms usually progress quickly

over five to seven days resulting in

recumbency and death. Often rabies

is not diagnosed upon the initial

onset of symptoms, as the horse is

still calm, alert and eating. Of great

importance in recognizing rabies is

the rapid progression of the disease.

Because the neurological signs

always progress rapidly with rabies,

other possibilities should be

considered if the clinical signs have

not worsened after a period of five

days."

Very frightening!

From what I have been told, the symptoms of rabies in horses / livestock are not what we grew up thinking when it comes to dogs and other small animals... however, I do not know what those symptoms are.

In VA, we are able to do this vaccination ourselves. It takes 2cc for horses (vs. 1cc for small animals) and is supposed to be done annually in our state.

The incubation is a few days to years, but usually a month or two. It is transmitted by saliva getting into an open wound (often by getting bitten) or mucosal membranes. I am confused as to why this is a threat if symptoms weren't seen until after the shows as that means the virus was not in the horses saliva yet. Maybe they're just being extra precautionary, but I don't think it is likely at all that it infected anyone.

Just saw this is Dr. Taylors- I apologize, i didn't mean to question your post. I'm on my phone and of course can't edit it now. Was I right in remembering that if a horse/any animal that's been infected hasn't had symptoms yet it can't pass on the virus? I'm sure they're being precautionary and want to give shots to those exposed to the horse in case? Also, is the vaccine that they give after exposure different from the one given usually annually?

Just saw this is Dr. Taylors- I apologize, i didn't mean to question your post. I'm on my phone and of course can't edit it now. Was I right in remembering that if a horse/any animal that's been infected hasn't had symptoms yet it can't pass on the virus? I'm sure they're being precautionary and want to give shots to those exposed to the horse in case? Also, is the vaccine that they give after exposure different from the one given usually annually?
I didn't take any offense, odds are low, but not zero.

Probably can't pass on virus with out showing, but signs on day 1-2 are non-descript and mild.

Incubation can be up to 45 days, but once signs start, death will occur within 10 days.

Same vaccine, and yes, exposed animals should be vaccinated immediately.

Dr Taylor

Thank you very much for answering all of my questions, it's greatly appreciated!
default_smile.png

We vaccinate for Rabies here as you can't really go anywhere without the certificate. BUT - and maybe Dr, Taylor can confirm or refute this - I know someone who lost a mini to rabies and I THOUGHT she said that it was vaccinated but that the vaccine does not confer 100% protection???? Her mini became dangerously aggressive from the rabies and of course had to be euthanized.

Just want to add how much I appreciate Dr. Taylor's comments on this forum!!!

There is no vaccine that provides protection to all animals/humans who receive it.

No vaccine provides 100% protection. So its possible to still get the disease but not likely. Your chances are better at preventing it with the vaccine.

Rabies is spread through saliva into mucous membranes: cuts, bites, abrasions, mouth, eyes, and even nasal (inhalation of droplets). While the risk is potentially low if you were at the show with this horse, the risk is still there. Since Rabies is of zoonotic concern, it is important to notify everyone of the potential exposure.

I didn't take any offense, odds are low, but not zero.

Probably can't pass on virus with out showing, but signs on day 1-2 are non-descript and mild.

Incubation can be up to 45 days, but once signs start, death will occur within 10 days.

Same vaccine, and yes, exposed animals should be vaccinated immediately.

Dr Taylor
Does it have to be a "wet" transfer or can dried saliva be dangerous? I have shown at Lufkin and would hate to be paranoid going back there again...

It needs to be "wet". It does not survive very long outside the hosts body (thank god).

Latest posts

Back