Quicksilver show halter question- Newbie needs help asap!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
Our Quicksilver show halter arrived in the mail, and since we've never used a show halter, and I haven't been able to reach quicksilver this morning by email, could we please get some advice from those of you who've used them before?

When placed on the horse, the larger removable ring of the chin chain (on the right side of the horses face) sticks straight out when a lead is attached and tightened from the other end of the chin chain. It seems like it would look nicer if it laid flat.

I figured it would lay flatter if we attached the removable ring to the halter's ring at the cheek.

We're getting ready to pack up for the show, so would appreciate finding out how to properly use this pretty halter before we get to the show!
default_wink.png

thanks,

LG

I'm not totally sure I understand your problem but I have (and love!)
default_wub.png
many show halters from Quicksilver!! Based on what you wrote, I'm wondering if you are clipping the lead to only one side of the chin chain? Normally, the lead gets attached to both ends of the chin chain, underneath the horse's jaw/chin. Hope this helps!

djkid i think that is what they are talking about ...sure sound slike it. Run the chain through both cheek peices of the halter then bring the two rings together under the chin and hook your lead. lead hooks to both rings.

Ok, now I get it
default_biggrin.png
Thanks to both of you for your replies!

I have several of the Quicksilver halters and I really like them! I wanted to mention that you need to be sure that the halter is not put on backwards. The halter buckle opening should be facing the LEFT side of the horse's head. It is very easy for these halters to get twisted around. If that happens, the halter will not sit correctly. Also, I agree with everyone else who has mentioned that you need to have the chin chain going through BOTH closed loops of the halter and then you attach your lead to the two rings of the chin chain after you have made sure that both sides of the chain are even and the rings match up.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!
default_yes.gif

Debbi

Ok I would love to see what some of those halters look like on either your horses or just like some of your halters in general. I think it would be cool to be nice to have some of these halters... Granted I have enough halters but oh well. LOL. Anyway would any of you all be kind to show some of these halters off to inquiring minds.....

Ok I would love to see what some of those halters look like on either your horses or just like some of your halters in general. I think it would be cool to be nice to have some of these halters... Granted I have enough halters but oh well. LOL. Anyway would any of you all be kind to show some of these halters off to inquiring minds.....
I love my quicksilver halters! Here is my white one but I dont have any good pictures of my others I will have to work on that!

DSC_0018-1.jpg

I bought 2 of these halters a couple of seasons ago, both broke the first time I put them on at a show. One broke the year I got them, and put the other one away and lent it to a girl this year, not remembering the problem, and that one broke on her too.
default_no.gif

That is strange that yours broke, mine are indestructible (almost literally
default_biggrin.png
). I am still training my junior stallion and I correct him alot in it and he has jerked back really hard and it is still going strong. I took another filly to a show for the first time, she is a yearling, and different halter than the stallion and a kid ran screaming up behind her and made her rear up and flip over and we used the halter to keep her from banging her head on the cement and it is also still intact and being used on another horse for training purposes. I think just about all of them have had something happen with them on which is kind of a given when almost my whole show string is junior horses and this is their first year out showing. So it must have just been a fluke that yours broke since I have never heard of others having problems either. Who knows!?
default_unsure.png

default_aktion033.gif
I've just bought 4 of the quicksilver halters online and was a little nervous about it as its my first purchase from them.

This thread has made me feel good about this purchase as I dont have them yet. I thought the reasonable price may be too good to be true.

Im hoping as "if by magics" halters was a one off problem
default_no.gif

Just the luck of the irish !

I used the first one on my yearling and just pulled him round to go into the ring, didn't notice that I only had the halter, lucky that was indoors !

The girl I lent it too didn't say how it broke or when, she was so annoyed about it, it was the leopard print one.

I really should have contacted them but didn't get round to it and would proably want it sent back so wasn't worth the postage.

If I'm looking a cheaper one I just get the Double Diamond ones, so far so good.

I just used my two new Quicksilver halters at a show and they seem to be quite durable. I was skeptical, too. They really look nice on a horse
default_smile.png
I showed a 36 " mare with a size XL halter and I had to add holes and cut some off as it was too large. The foal halter was the same way. So anyone that orders, keep in mind to order a sz. smaller than you think.

I just used my two new Quicksilver halters at a show and they seem to be quite durable. I was skeptical, too. They really look nice on a horse
default_smile.png
I showed a 36 " mare with a size XL halter and I had to add holes and cut some off as it was too large. The foal halter was the same way. So anyone that orders, keep in mind to order a sz. smaller than you think.
I just want to say as long as you measure your horse to determine a size you should be fine, I never had one that didnt fit, her measurements are exact to what she lists on her auctions. I have all of the sizes from the smallest to medium and they all fit exactly as they should on the horse I planned for them. My point is if you measure your horse dont go the next smaller size because it will be too small. Most mature minis wear a medium but some need a S+ if they have a really small head or are the really small adults. Just thought I should say this in case.

Latest posts

Back