Quick question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... i clipped a black colt about 4 nearly 5 weeks ago, he has plenty of regrowth but it is still grey, he has a black head and black legs but grey body. I would put a pic up but it doesn't show up on camera
default_sad.png

thanks in advance
default_smile.png

Just posted some pics but he was in shadows so he looks darker than he actually is

IMG_0131.JPG911807_4113747222075_178540108_n.jpg

more recent pics580704_607908649222206_2011842995_n.jpg

946891_607908539222217_2119839752_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no idea, he got given to me and he is registered as black, i will post a pic of just after i clipped him, he looks black because he was in a shadow

It's hard to say without a picture. As Mona suggested, could be a roan. Also could be smokey silver black which manifests in a whole range of colors from seal brown to black. As well, after shaving, it can take our black horses a month or so for the black to deepen. Maybe if you could get a picture outside in the sun??

i will try and get a good pic of him tomorrow, ill check and see what his parents are now

he is black but if you want him to grow back black you need to keep him warmer or he will grow a winter undercoat instead of a summer coat , this is very common here in Ireland

You saY black colt but don't list his age, greys are born either red or black based, so if born black based will lighten to grey over time, it takes years.

he has just been away getting gelded so i havent got a chance to get some pics but i shall get some in the next few days when he gets back

Cute baby.

What you are seeing is clipped off winter or foal hair. It will usually not have a nice color to it till his yearling/summer coat comes in. Be sure to keep his weight up to keep his hair healthy.

I often clip these black coats with a #30 then keep horse blanketed to keep him warm (or a sheet if it is warm outside).

Latest posts

Back