Questions for Overo breeders (with pic)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
Just had a fabulous photo shoot with Shannon Troglauer! This is a photo she took of my '06 colt, Brookhavens Hearts Afire (AMHA/AMHR pending). His dam is a black tovero (I assume, pinto and has white stripe/blaze and white on chin and lower lip). Sire is drk bay minimal pinto. This colt has two ice blue eyes, belly splash and some sabino ticking. My questions are...should I decide to sell him.... 1) can I say that he can produce overos and 2) should he be tested for LWO even though he is not an overo (he has white on his back at the hip) 3) If he is capable of producing overos would it be only if bred to another pinto or could it come from a solid? Sorry, I don't know alot about overo breeding....Thanks for your input.

Blazer2.jpg

And thanks Shannon for a wonderful job! :aktion033:

Gorgeous boy!!!!!! :new_shocked:

Yes, I would definitely have him tested for LWO. ANY horse can carry it, whether they are a "visual" frame overo or not! I've had many Toveros who also tested positive for LWO, as well as some "solids" who had as little white as a snip on their nose & maybe a white coronet!
default_yes.gif
:

He is definitely a Tovero, as he exhibits Tobiano markings. But he also appears to be carrying Sabino ( has the ticking, and Mom was Sabino) And the blue eyes are indicative of both (either/or) Splash and Frame....as well as that white belly spot in the middle of the colored belly!

It's very possible your boy carries Tobiano, Sabino, Splash AND Frame!

WONDERFUL PHOTOGRAPHY!!!! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you with your question but we REALLY need a drooling smiley!!! That is a gorgeous boy!

Beautiful boy! Shannon did a great job on the picture! I would say either splashed, frame or both to give him that face marking and blue eyes. And you can throw in one of the sabino genes too, for any body 'roaning.

OOOH I LIKEY!!!!

I'd love to see pictures of this boy standing still from both sides.....his color really does pop out !

Yes he is tovero and must carry either splash or frame to get those blue eyes! The belly spot is another big overo indicator.

Thanks everyone...'nuther question....doesn't frame have to have to color all the way down the back. What would give him the "frame" gene since he has white on his back/hip? I think this overo thing can get complicated.
default_wacko.png
: I just want to present him correctly and not be telling things that aren't correct. I'm such a sucker for dark bay pinto anythings...

Edited to say...Standing still so you could see both sides?.....Standing still was not on his program list for the day!!! He had way too much fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wub.png
: Wow, what a stunning colt!

I would say he carries Tobiano, Sabino, and frame and/or splash for the blue eyes and blaze.

IF he does carry these three (or four) colours, he supposedly can throw about 82% colour to solid mares. With every breeding he can throw just tobiano, just sabino, just frame/splash (which ever he carries- or either if he carries both), none (solid coloured) or a mixture of them all!!!! This little bloke is a colour trove of genetics!

The white can cross the back on an extreme frame overo. But i would say in your colts case, it is the tobiano marking that is putting the white across his back.

I would have him LWO tested, as i think there is a good possibility of him carrying it!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the compliments on Shan's photos, and thank you Merry for allowing us into your home! :D

Question....what is "ticking"???? Where are you seeing it on the colt? I'm still learning all this color stuff and I'd love to know.

Ticking is the white hairs that many Chestnuts carry anyway, without Sabino, but that more typically come with Sabino patterning.

I would test this colt for LWO to be safe.

The Frame on it's own will not produce white across the back except in maximum expression but very, very few horses are Frame alone, if any.

Thus it is the Tobiano that is producing the white up over the back, the Splash that is producing the blue eyes etc.
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds like I need to start pulling some mane hairs for testing!

Heather, the ticking is on his neck and shoulder but hard to see in this photo. Also, I think the jagged edges of his stockings are also an indicator of Sabino.

Way to go Shannon... :aktion033: :aktion033: Gorgeous pic of a drop dead gorgeous horse. :aktion033:

Back