Confusing Splashed White & Frame Results!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please keep testing horses, especially those of various breeds that appear to be what the industry agrees is "classical splashed white" (face dipped markings, white undersides, stockings, blue eyes). Those that keep coming out negative should be tagged for retesting. Odds are they will be the ones with different mutations. ESPECIALLY needed would be the breeds where there is absolutely no chance of Frame (LWO). After all, there are new bloodlines showing new Sabino genes all the time (making the "Sabino" tests impossible). No doubt there will be additional splash mutations found.

If I had anything on the property that even had a teensy chance of carrying splash, I'd test, but my Draft girls have zero chance, and my other two ponies haven't a white hair on them, nor blue eyes. I've taken to looking at Craigslist for a splash looking horse, though heaven knows I can't add another one to the herd right now!!!

LP

It simply says it is new information and it is going to take a while to sort it out and comprehend it all. I felt the same way when I started studying color genetics, and there were fewer patterns to test for then.
default_smile.png
Funny isn't it Songcatcher. I'm sure you remember when we were all excited about being able to test for Silver and Pearl and then Lp. Now we have the long-awaited Splash. What do you think next? Maybe DW?

Lizzie

Ok- you guys have me curious now about one of my mares--

She tested

E/e

a/a

N/Cr for Cream

N/N for LWO

So, she is a smokey black (pinto) with VERY blue eyes. No frame. I did not test for Sabino (as I really don't see it in her) nor did I test her for Tobiano (she certainly looks like it to me). Do you think she looks like she has splash or ?? Maybe I should do additional testing? What is causing her very blue eyes?

Horses2011-55-300x200.jpg

scan0001-300x199.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeland,

If you think this is confusing, you should see what's going on at The Appaloosa Project with the results of the pinto testing that is going on. Unreal. There have even been some members using words such as "Splashaloosa" -- and how these pinto genes are "lighting up and modifying" Lp horses - affecting the physical appearance (phenotype) of horses and what reading what the current research is regarding the probable underlying genotype.

Lots of new discussions on modifiers and how they can affect the Appaloosa and other Lp horses
default_wacko.png
Lots of new information to sort out and absorb!
default_unsure.png
Oh yes, I freely admit that Appaloosa genetics blow my mind. I try to focus on the things that pertain to me, and since I don't breed for Appaloosas, I leave that to those who specialize in it and are interested in it. I greatly admire those who can keep it straight.

Mary, thanks for sharing! This was really informative!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Ok- you guys have me curious now about one of my mares--

She tested

E/e

a/a

N/Cr for Cream

N/N for LWO

So, she is a smokey black (pinto) with VERY blue eyes. No frame. I did not test for Sabino (as I really don't see it in her) nor did I test her for Tobiano (she certainly looks like it to me). Do you think she looks like she has splash or ?? Maybe I should do additional testing? What is causing her very blue eyes?

Horses2011-55-300x200.jpg

scan0001-300x199.jpg
I see Sabino where the the black and white hairs "blend" by her mane
default_yes.gif
. If you were able to, I'd love to see her tested for both Splash and Sabino. Pretty girl by the way!

Albahurst -I agree with Desiree on your stunning mare. I would test for splash and sabino. I checked her pedigree and didn't see Rowdy in it anywhere (but lots of other very nice horses) so I would guess she wouldn't fall into the category of the 3 blue-eyed splash and frame negative horses with Rowdy blood posted already.

Now speaking of Rowdy, I realized we have ANOTHER blue eyed Rowdy bred horse we could test. Cowboy is 3/8 Rowdy by blood, and I strongly suspect he is frame because I know his sire is. He was never tested. He has a blaze with his blue eye and is a 50/50 visual tobiano. It now makes me wonder if some of these minis with blue eyes - especially the Rowdy bred ones - are getting the blue eyes from a different gene location than the normal pinto patterns. Maybe it isn't from another form of sabino or splash but from a "blue eye gene". Couldn't that be another possibility? Or do the blue eyes need to be linked to a color or pattern?

An interesting thought (blue gene possibility). I'm in the UK and up until recently I hadn't given a lot of thought to the various colour possibilities - just using the basics like most of us over here.

But I have a black and white pinto mare who has one blue eye. Her parents are registered British Shetlands, dam is solid dark bay from a solid black sire and a solid 'liver' chestnut dam (not a white hair anywhere) and the sire is a black and white pinto from a very famous blood line - no blue eyes anywhere as far as I know but obviously colour on this side of my mare's pedigree. So why has she suddenly popped up with her one blue eye and where did it come from? I'm going to do a serious check back on her sires pedigree to see if I can discover any 'reported' blue eyes, or is it possible that she carries a gene for it that has remained hidden for many generations??

This is such an interesting topic - many thanks to all who are lending their expertise.
default_yes.gif

The blue eyes might not always be reported because they have been considered undesireable.

British Shetland are very closely related genetically to Icelandic Horses which are well known for having Splash. I'm not aware at this point of any British Shetlands having been tested but I expect there will be SW1 postivie individuals just like there are in the Icelandics.

Thank you Lewella, as you say blue eyes have often been frowned upon in our native ponies, and therefore not reported/hidden away! I had never given a thought to a possible Iceland link somewhere in the past, an interesting thought, thanks.
default_yes.gif

Albahurst -I agree with Desiree on your stunning mare. I would test for splash and sabino. I checked her pedigree and didn't see Rowdy in it anywhere (but lots of other very nice horses) so I would guess she wouldn't fall into the category of the 3 blue-eyed splash and frame negative horses with Rowdy blood posted already.

Now speaking of Rowdy, I realized we have ANOTHER blue eyed Rowdy bred horse we could test. Cowboy is 3/8 Rowdy by blood, and I strongly suspect he is frame because I know his sire is. He was never tested. He has a blaze with his blue eye and is a 50/50 visual tobiano. It now makes me wonder if some of these minis with blue eyes - especially the Rowdy bred ones - are getting the blue eyes from a different gene location than the normal pinto patterns. Maybe it isn't from another form of sabino or splash but from a "blue eye gene". Couldn't that be another possibility? Or do the blue eyes need to be linked to a color or pattern?
I will check into further testing. My curiosity is peaked! I will let you all know what I find out.

Some of the recent studies in mitochondrial DNA have determined that Icelandics and British Shetlands are descended from the same genetic stock.
default_yes.gif
There are a couple of quotes on the studies of mtDNA on the bottom of this page - http://iceryder.net/pony.html

Latest posts

Back