Questions about how Miniatures are measured

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerelyAmanda

Reaction score
I'm still learning about Miniatures so I wanted to ask a few questions about how they are measured, but not clutter up the thread about the letter.

1. As I understand it, Miniatures are measured at "the last hairs of the mane" right? Can I ask why? Every other breed I've heard of measures at the withers.

2. How does registering them work when they are younger? I would assume you can't know their mature height until they are well, mature, so do they get tentative registration when younger?

3. If you are showing as a yearling, etc. do they have classes divided by heights like they do for the mature horses?

[font=Trebuchet Ms

1. As I understand it, Miniatures are measured at "the last hairs of the mane" right? Can I ask why? Every other breed I've heard of measures at the withers. *** To be honest, I don't know WHY, except this method was established early on. People have wanted to change this method for several years.

2. How does registering them work when they are younger? I would assume you can't know their mature height until they are well, mature, so do they get tentative registration when younger?***Initially, an immature mini receives a "temporary" registration. There are height requirements according to age when you show at the registry sanctioned shows.

3. If you are showing as a yearling, etc. do they have classes divided by heights like they do for the mature horses?[/font]
***Exactly. I believe the top height for yearlings is 32 inches, but don't quote me.
default_smile.png
If you are interested in showing, I recommend that you contact the registry for the Rule Book for showing. And I recommend that you attend one or two shows as an observer before showing a horse...........Just my opinion.

MA

ok i answered your questions below with red writing.

I'm still learning about Miniatures so I wanted to ask a few questions about how they are measured, but not clutter up the thread about the letter.

1. As I understand it, Miniatures are measured at "the last hairs of the mane" right? Can I ask why? Every other breed I've heard of measures at the withers. That seems to be the question of the century... i'm not sure who really could answer that question except maybe the people founding the AMHA/AMHR that made that rule!

2. How does registering them work when they are younger? I would assume you can't know their mature height until they are well, mature, so do they get tentative registration when younger? yes they do have "temporary papers and then they must be taken permanent at age 3 for AMHR and age 5 for AMHA after they are mature.

3. If you are showing as a yearling, etc. do they have classes divided by heights like they do for the mature horses? They have certain heigh sizes per age that you must measure under to show. That's not to say that a foal that goes over that certain height for that age will outgrow it's papers when it's older but it seems to be a rule of thumb they go by.

Latest posts

Back