Question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the tack vendors on LB; http://www.lilbeginnings.com/breeders/tack/index.html I think its Star Lake that I've bought from in the past of those listed, just their economy halters, sorry I just don't see paying a fortune for a stable halter, so I go for the economy version at $6-8 each depending on the vendor. Much of my tack has come from places other than those listed.

I agree I don't want to pay a fortune either as I need to buy 6 halters LOL I also want to get 4 water proof winter blanket to LOL.

Sometimes full-size horse weanling/foal blankets will fit minis depending on the blanket and the size of your mini. I have a couple Tough-1 blankets that are full-size foal blankets, and they fit decently, but I have large minis, so need like 48-52" blankets. If you have a really small mini, large/x-large dog blankets sometimes work (might take a little modification, depending on if the mini is fat), usually more for foals than adults, but just putting it out there.

ok Thanks my mini stand from 27" to 33" and there all fat every time someone comes out they all way ask if there pregnant LOL but the boys aren't to fat though

Not sure where you are located? Just wondering because if you get below freezing temperatures I would suggest two blankets per horse (if you plan to blanket 24/7). I have the Kensington turnouts which are definitely waterproof in the rain--they work great and can be left on for several days without soaking through. In the below freezing weather though--they wick the moisture away from the horse, no problem there--but when it is 30 below that moisture freezes inside the blanket. Underneath the horse is warm and dry, on top the blanket is a frozen slab. So, I change the blanket out every 24 hours. My Kensington quilted blankets which are water resistant also get changed every 24 hours--in the cold they don't form the layer of ice but they do start to get damp on the underside. They are good for 24 hours but then need to be changed out and dried.

For truly waterproof the Kensington waterproof turnouts are my favorites--warm, and no leaks in the rain.

I really like minitack.com. They have tons of great blankets to choose from if thats what you're looking for. But if you just go on google and type in "miniature horse tack" you'll find loads of sites. For halters since you need so many miniexpress.com has nylon halters for 6.50 each.

I have purchased from Ozark and a few others that I believe are listed on the lilbeginnings tack pages, but if your horses are healthy, fat, and in full coat, not clipped! then you don't need blankets. They will actually do more harm then good. A mini's coat is designed to poof up when it's cold and trap air for warmth. If you blanket them it will flatten the coat and this can't happen. It also messes with a horses natural body temperature. Plus then you have to worry about checking blankets to make sure they are on right and taking them on and off when the weather fluctuates so they don't get to warm. Some of the bigger breeds, as I am sure you know, don't get a coat like the mini's and do need more help in the winter. It might be a good idea to have some for emergency situations, such as a sick horse who is chilled, but you really don't need them for every day use.

Thanks I just like having blankets just in case as my old guy gets cold as time and his joints gets stiff but I also have a yearling filly that don't have much of a coat yet

Latest posts

Back