Question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
I've had this mare from a big breeder(200+) horses, I've owned her for 5+ years. Really great people to deal with, I think I've bought 20 horses from them. One mare I bought, I paid 1500 for. Very pretty, correct, and well one think is wrong. She's not getting into foal, she's turning 12 this year so I'm going to stick her in my oldies paddock since she's very quiet, We did vet check her and they said she couldn't breed.

I called the breeder, told them, and he basically said to sell her for a pet quality horse for 200, well what going to happen to the other 1300 I spent on her? his response : you didn't pay that much, if it was a 10,000 dollar horse I would understand.

A friend told me, she is a breeder of minis too, said that if I buy either a stallion or a mare that doesn't reproduce I should be able to go back and get another mare for the same price.

They don't want her back since they are selling out, and he wants to sell me more. What are you're opinions?

I think if he does give me another mare for her place, I'll buy another couple mares to help them out, but if he doesn't I don't think I won't do business again. I've had problems with paperwork with them, where they sent me back the money I paid on that certain horse, but I kind of got put down for ONLY paying 1500 for a horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was she sold as a brood mare prospect or with a proven production record? If only a prospect, did you have her vetted by a good repro vet? I'm thinking after 5+ years you're going to be out of luck with getting a refund or exchange on this mare even if there were some guarantees in your sales contract.

Was she sold as a brood mare prospect or with a proven production record? If only a prospect, did you have her vetted by a good repro vet? I'm thinking after 5+ years you're going to be out of luck with getting a refund or exchange on this mare even if there were some guarantees in your sales contract.
Yes she was sold as a broodmare, and there wasn't a contract.

Unfortuantly if you don't have it in writing that this mare is guaranteed breeding sound you are pretty much out of luck. Sounds like to me they aren't willing to help you out. I wouldn't even rule out that they knew this mare wasn't sound to breed and sold her to you for a "low price", at least low to them anyways. I would either keep her or like they said sell her for a pet price. I personally wouldn't do business with them again unless you have everything in writing. Too risky for this economy.

Unfortuantly if you don't have it in writing that this mare is guaranteed breeding sound you are pretty much out of luck. Sounds like to me they aren't willing to help you out. I wouldn't even rule out that they knew this mare wasn't sound to breed and sold her to you for a "low price", at least low to them anyways. I would either keep her or like they said sell her for a pet price. I personally wouldn't do business with them again unless you have everything in writing. Too risky for this economy.
I know they didn't.. They quit breeding for a long time, and I grabbed one foal out of their last foaling crop. They are almost 85 years old, they aren't dishonest people at all.

Reason being for paperwork not being done was they trusted me and I trusted them..

They have no obligation to provide you with another mare. If you didn't get her checked for breeding soundness at the time and/or there is no contract, then oh well. That's the chance you take.

When I purchase a horse, I figure there are NO guarantees. It's an animal, anything can happen. Heck, it can colic tomorrow, cost me $5,000 in surgery and then end up dying anyway.

Generally, if being breeding sound (or staying under a specific height, or whatever) is something that you NEED guaranteed when you buy a horse (which is buyer beware... it is risky...) then get a CONTRACT. Usually if a breeder is going to have to guarantee something like this, the cost of the animal will be higher because of the gamble/risk that the breeder is going to have to take.

I'm sorry your mare is not breeding sound, but that is the risk you take without a contract and without a pre-purchase exam from your vet to make the odds tip in your favor.

Andrae

He said he would back then, and I'll take his word that he will..

He said vet checking isn't always correct so he didn't believe in them... He said proof is when a mare doesn't get in foal for a few years...

So who knows,

They have no obligation to provide you with another mare. If you didn't get her checked for breeding soundness at the time and/or there is no contract, then oh well. That's the chance you take.

he said he didn't believe what the vets say because they are wrong half the time, so even if I did, he would have told me to wait a couple of years..

I think if he does give me another mare for her place, I'll buy another couple mares to help them out, but if he doesn't I don't think I won't do business again.
This sounds like a good option perhaps you could mention this to them and see what they say. You said they are good people just old so it is worth a try if you can afford it. The only thing that would concern me is if they are trying to sell off everything, where would she end up? I would hate to think she would end up unwanted or uncared for
no.gif

What a shame - so sorry.
no.gif

I've had something like this happen to me, I wont name any names or what happened,
shutup.gif
but I even had a contract that we agreed to and, well - that's all it was, a piece of paper... and I'll leave it at that.

There really are no guarantees.
sad.gif

I personally will take horses back, for whatever reason, if a buyer isn't happy. And I've done it several times, so I don't just talk it, I do it. However, I'd be hard pressed to do it after 5 years and no contract. I think that is a lot to ask of a seller, IMO. If it were me and you were just saying "the mare doesn't get in foal; I no longer want her" then as the seller I would take her back and care for her - but I wouldn't refund your $1500. Just don't see it happening after this much time has gone by. I'm sorry this has happened, but if breeding soundness was important to you, you must, MUST have a reproductive exam done prior to the purchase AND you should have it written in a contract. Just my opinion. It's really for your own protection.

go ahead and buy more mares from them but ask him to give you a good sized discount because of the infertile mare and keep the mare or sell her on as a pet ,

go ahead and buy more mares from them but ask him to give you a good sized discount because of the infertile mare and keep the mare or sell her on as a pet ,
That's what he said he would do for me!
default_smile.png
He even asked if I would take a couple and sell them for him! =)

I consider all horses "as is". Good people will not lie, but they may be mistaken. I once bought a beautiful stallion who turned out to be infertile. I did not hold it against the people I bought him from, as they had not used him for breeding. I knew there was that chance. They were good people and I have bought several other horses from them since then. Only you can make that decision as no one else knows all the details.

You know what they say "buyer beware".

I have a paddock full of horses where the buyer (me) failed to heed that warning.
default_whistling.gif
default_giveup.gif
default_doh.gif

I love 'em anyway.

I understand how disappointing this must be when you bought her specifically as a broodmare, but you have more options than just selling her for a pet price.

How about training her to drive? Whether for breed shows, CDE, or recreational driving, she could have a job. Or, if you have children or other youngsters in your life, let them show her in either halter or performance classes. She may not be a candidate for nationals, but she could provide a child with a whole lot of fun.

Was not a mini but had a Tennessee Walker.

Our Stallion had no success.

Took her hours away and left her for 3 months to get her in foal. Nothing.

Took her to a Stallion near by, 2 years in a row.

Nothing.

Well, decided to sell her and bingo they had a filly with their stallion the next year.

Have you tried different Stallions or sent her away for breeding.. Just never know.

What does your vet say is wrong?

Hope you get things worked out.
default_no.gif

You have had this mare for 5+ years so I think you are completely out of line expecting a refund or a trade at this point. There was no contract about it so you should not expect anything, especially 5 years later.

How many stallions did you expose her to?

They could have made her "dirty"

Did you do a complete repro exam at any time?

Did they take a specimin and test it to see if it grew any bacteria etc?

Has this mare even been flushed? If so with what? Any SMZ's to go with it perhaps?

And under what circumstances did you breed this mare? Pasture? Hand breed?

Sorry Heart K that you are disappointed but I think you are being very unreasonable.

Latest posts

Back