question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story short. I sold a couple of horses on a payment plan and the date is up on the contract...has been since April 15th of this year for the horses to be paid in full.

What would you do with the reg. papers. Keep them or send them into the assoc.?

Not sure what you are asking....Do you still have the horses? Or did you let the buyer take the horses home on a payment plan, and the buyer failed to make all the payments? A lot depends on the wording of your payment plan/contract and whether or not you have any "teeth" in your agreement. In my view, if the buyer has failed to make good on the payments, you should be able to get the horses back, and NOT have to return any $$$ to them because they failed to uphold their end of the agreement. But you might want to talk to an attorney.

Just went through this. Had to take a person to Small Claims court. I was stupid and let her take the horse. She's paid about half and payments have stopped.

Won in court. She called and said "Yes I know I owe the money." Well, Yeah! She has until the 21st to pay or I get to garnishee her wages and tax refunds. Plus you don't have to hire an attorney.

So long story long - if you have a contract you can take her to Small Claims up to a certain amount. Here it's $5,000.

I still have the papers and they are staying right here. I would not send them to the association. If you get the horses back you are going to want the papers for yourself or to resell the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
l'm kind of in the same boat...sold a stallion this spring on payments for the first time ever..after the first thousand the whole farm if they even had one who knows dropped of the face of the earth. l can't track them anywhere l really want him back or get paid for the rest of him l do have his paperwork and plan to hang onto it in case l or someone l know runs across him in the future...l just hope he's okay. Also two years ago sold a stallion deducted the amount for him to be gelded and lo and behold this spring l learn he's had 6 foals since then OMG did l say l so dislike honest people...l would be ashamed of myself doing that to someone. My lessons l learned is to geld before they leave you can't trust the other party no matter how well or long you know or like them..and l'll never again do that payment thing no matter what. AND the next person that has to tell me l can trust them are getting thrown of the property. Umm l wonder if l sound peed of
default_biggrin.png

l'm kind of in the same boat...sold a stallion this spring on payments for the first time ever..after the first thousand the whole farm if they even had one who knows dropped of the face of the earth. l can't track them anywhere l really want him back or get paid for the rest of him l do have his paperwork and plan to hang onto it in case l or someone l know runs across him in the future...l just hope he's okay. Also two years ago sold a stallion deducted the amount for him to be gelded and lo and behold this spring l learn he's had 6 foals since then OMG did l say l so dislike honest people...l would be ashamed of myself doing that to someone. My lessons l learned is to geld before they leave you can't trust the other party no matter how well or long you know or like them..and l'll never again do that payment thing no matter what. AND the next person that has to tell me l can trust them are getting thrown of the property. Umm l wonder if l sound peed of
default_biggrin.png

I did the whole nine yards with the small claims court and won. The lady's 30 days have been up. She has the horses and no I can not get them back. Only way I can and I may only get one out of the 3 back is if I do a Sheriff Sale. She already paid me 1/3 of the horses so I would probably only get one back. It's not worth it to me to put up a couple of hundred dollars and only get one horse back. I guess I will let these reg. papers rot in my book.

This is just rediculious!!! I bought 2 horses from a farm on payments and paid them off as soon as I could. I hate being in debt with someone and never once did it cross my mind to screw them over. I gave them every dime I had lying around to get my horses paid off. It sucks for honest folks like myself to get a payment plan with sellers because of this issue with others who are dishonest.

I think that some rules should apply when doing payment plans and YES I think "Paid in full before leaving farm" would be #1 in my book!

This is just rediculious!!! I bought 2 horses from a farm on payments and paid them off as soon as I could. I hate being in debt with someone and never once did it cross my mind to screw them over. I gave them every dime I had lying around to get my horses paid off. It sucks for honest folks like myself to get a payment plan with sellers because of this issue with others who are dishonest.

I think that some rules should apply when doing payment plans and YES I think "Paid in full before leaving farm" would be #1 in my book!
Paying on a payment plan is great but OMG why would you let the buyers take the horse home before paid in full?On a similar point I sold a stud in March of 2009 and they have never put him in their name and in Dec.09 asked me if she gave me the names of the mares he bred would I send in a stallion report?Gee let me see.Nah.Some people.LOL

I do agree with MindyLee it really stinks when people are dishonest. I have done the payment plan and honered it to others and had no problems. I feel terrible for those who have and been burnt by others.

It's very sad that people can't be honest. It's a only a matter of time they will get there's.

I sold a stud in March of 2009 and they have never put him in their name and in Dec.09 asked me if she gave me the names of the mares he bred would I send in a stallion report

that happened to me too and l was soft enough to do it
wacko.gif

I was also stupid enough to do a payment plan with a so called friend, l even let her take the horse and the passport .... she didnt pay a cent for well over a year and even now two and a half years later she has paid less than half

never again

I will never let a horse leave my property again without being paid in full.

Latest posts

Back