Question regaurding AMHA worlds and weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGminiaturehorses

Reaction score
I have a nice little weanling filly this year, and i'd really like to get her out and show her in the AMHA worlds this year since we are only half an hour away! I know that she is "qualified" to show in weanling mares since that has 0 qualifying points for the weanlings, but I was wondering would I also be able to show her in the youth junior mare class, since weanlings don't have to have any points? Or just the one weanling class?

Just a little confused.
default_wacko.png

Anyways, here's my girl! Applecreek's Venus De Milo, "Venus".

photo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she can show in any classes that she would normally be eligible for (color, youth, open). There are classes that are restricted by age that she can not show in, including Liberty.

Good luck!

Actually, weanling mares need 2 points or must have made a reasonable effort to qualify (placing 1st under 3 judges without enough horses to accumulate points). Also, you must have the qualifying points for the class. So you would need a point to show in youth. Just because she is a weanling she doesn't get a free pass to go in any class.

Talk about getting you confused!

Weanlings do get a free pass for sure for their age class so she doesn't need points for that.

As for the junior mare classes, I am not totally sure and you would think I would be since I was on the board that voted the rule in. Ah well. The best thing for you to do is to call the AMHA office and speak to the show department directly.

Yes, the rulebook does say points are required for the weanlings, but we voted to eliminate the point requirement as a standing rule until the permanent change could go through the official process as too many babies were getting so stressed by showing so young to get qualified.

My gut guess would be that to be consistent, there should be no point requirements for any class a weanling can be shown in, but I wouldn't want you to take that as gospel without verifying with the show department. Give them a call, and then do us all a favor and post the results here including who you talked to so the issue can be put to rest definitively.

Have fun showing your pretty baby! I'll miss being there this year.

I contacted someone on the AMHA show board and was told that my weanling filly is able to show in any class she would be elidgible for. Ex. Color, Youth junior mares, weanling mares, since the weanlings require "0" points to qualify for worlds.

Thanks to those of you who replied! Im glad I got this answered and hope it is useful info to others aswell.

Latest posts

Back