question on overdose of ivermectim

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We were paste worming our horses this am

and the plunger slipped on our little stallion who s/b about 250#

and giving him approx 750# dose of wormer

left a message at vets office but anyone have info on this

its

Ivermectin paste 1.87%

Thanks

Lori

Been there-done that.don't worry Lori ivermectin is 1 that can be overdosed with no bad effects.Quest is the 1 to worry about in overdosing which is why I will NEVER use Quest.Just keep an eye on him.In IMO and experience he will be fine-just cleaned out really well

I believe I read a study some where claiming that at the 1.87% concentration, horses can tolerate significantly high doses maybe even as high as 60x! I think your horse should be okay, I would just hang around and observe to make sure no mild colic symptoms develop. I have had this happen before and everyone turned out okay. Don't panic. I hate those plungers on wormer tubes! I either cannot get the stupid ring to move so I can adjust the dose or it wont stay in place. I have had success with wrapping a rubber band around the plunger to serve as a safety stop.

Its happened before to our 29-30 inch gelding he got a HUGE dose but he was perfectly fine no belly ache or anything so dont worry! just keep an eye on him to make sure

I use the rubber band around the plunger too. But I am pretty sure there is a huge margin of error with Ivermectin so I think you should be fine.

A friend did it to her 4 month old filly once. She called and I told her no worries. Just watch just to make sure for upset belly. And in the end... Nothing happened and filly never batted an eye from it.

I tie a small piece of baling twine around the plunger.

Some folks transfer the paste to a smaller syringe and measure in cc's to be more accurate for smaller horses and then there is no chance of getting too much.. I always do this with my goats, haven't tried it with my horses, but would if I had a really small mini.

Another one who has accidentally done that, more than once. He should be just fine. Between H and I, we've both done it a couple times with adult horses. The time I really freaked out was with a 3mos filly, and she, too, was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto to the above posts... It's happened here too and there wasn't a problem.

We have since switched to giving liquid ivermectin which means drawing the exact amount into a syringe

and giving it orally. No risk of overdosing.

Been there a couple of times! Dont worry, it's very safe.

I'm happy to hear we've all made the same booboo. haha but also it just shows that those stupid tubes need to be made differently

Funny how almost all of us have done this at one time or another. Not to worry. Never had a bad effect here, and I admit it happened more than once!
default_whistling.gif

Back