New here - Question about meds, horrible accident aftercare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I have found tremendeous information through this site and have yet to introduce myself.

I own a 16.2 hh paint and got him (and of course us) a miniature horse filly in February. She was 10 months young, 90 lbs at about 27". She had a potbelly but you could feel her spine and even through 5 inches of wintercoat as if she lived in Alaska the vet felt her being underweight. She hadn't been wormed for at least 6 months and never learned how to chew anything other than grass or hay. It took my daughter 2 hours but she got the hang of it, so much that she will eat anything and everything now. She looks great now, but still has a potbelly, she's been on 2 cups AM, 2 cups PM of total equine feed, good coastal, grass and for the past 3 weeks I've added alfalfa as some of you mentioned the lack of protein as being the cause of a potbelly in yearlings. I don't see it reducing though, so if anyone has some advice on how to get rid of it, please let me know.

But the main reason for this post is the freak accident she had yesterday. I like to compare horses to a mix between a toddler and a puppy. If there's a way to get hurt, they will find it. I'm about to wrap my two in bubble wrap and turn their stalls into rubber cells... Ugh.

She must have ran full speed into the sharp corner of a metal shovel. Right into her flank. Almost 3" across and 3" down, like a half square, flap hanging down and deep too. Exposed things you do not want to be able to see. Horrible. Wrapped a towel around her and rushed her to the vet. He stitched her up, put a drain tube in, gave tetanus, b12 etc, put her on 1/2 scoop uniprim antibiotics, banamine (had to tell him about not using bute - thanks to you guys), ulcer meds to counteract possible side effects and ordered hydrotherapy & aluspray to treat the wound daily. I had him put gauze & a bandage around her belly to allow the tube to drain but prevent her from ripping the tube out.

My question is - how often do you give/is it safe to give the banamine/ulcer meds. He recommended once a day only, to be on the safe side. I can imagine she'll be in pain for at least a few days. On the way home to the vet she was her attitude self, scratching, whinnying and ready to get home. At home she immediately looked for food (if she ever doesn't eat, I know she's really sick!) and gave kisses like always. So I'm hoping recovery goes well and only up from here as the vet couldn't determine if she injured/punctured her abdominal wall. He didn't feel anything but didn't want to press to hard and puncture it himself. If she did puncture it and starts running high temps, it could be a death sentence.

Hoping for the best...!

Again, thanks for all the helpful info everyone posts on here!

I will post pics of her as soon as I get on my laptop - iPad won't let me.

Oh no!!

I'd do whatever your vet says, but I'd take temp 3-4 times a day, banamine twice a day, ulcergard once a day...

Keep us posted...

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have had a vet prescribe banamine twice a day for serious pain but usually it is given just once a day as your vet suggested. My vets have always said give it for no more than 5 days to avoid ulcers. Following abdominal surgery I've had a vet prescribe uniprim 2x a day, 1/2 scoop each time, for a 373 lb gelding. That was given for 4 days. Hopefully you girl hasn't done any internal damage and will heal up well.

As for the pot belly issue, for a horse in your filly's condition when you got her I give free choice alfalfa--I would skip the coastal altogether. A nice leafy alfalfa or alfalfa mix hay is the best thing. For grain I like a mix of pellets and oats, with brewers yeast--actually I buy a pelleted feed that contains brewers yeast--14 or 16% protein. I give two scoops, half and half, twice a day--my scoop is a 500 ml cottage cheese container and I use a heaping measure. This has worked well for me to take down a pot belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! At what temperature should I get worried? She was 100 when we got to the vet and 99 when we left.

I was worried the alfalfa may cause her to founder, isn't that one of the alfalfa "possible side effects"?

I can't give my paint any, he goes on such a "alfalfa high" that the next day he acts like a racehorse on the track.

I've never yet seen a yearling founder from alfalfa; the only way I'd be concerned is if it were a very obese yearling; I've been feeding alfalfa to weaklings and yearlings for a lot of years and have never had one founder.

I do not think horses manage pain the same as humans, so think of her as a horse and not a person. I would not overdo the pain medications. If you notice her acting as though she is in pain, then do a med. But otherwise don't get too worried. The hydrotherapy and alluspray are great! I've dealt with some bad wounds with that successfully, from snake bite to punctures to deep cuts. The hydro is a pain to do, but most effective.

Hope she gets well quickly! It is such a worry when our animals are injured.

As for the haybelly, imo, that is lack of muscle tone.

Just fed her, added the uniprim, she's eating normal, but checked her temp and she's at 102.3! Gave her banamine and will check again to see if it brings it down.
default_sad.png

I highly reommend Underwood Horse Medicine for treatment of the wound. It will heal it up beautifully!

Once a day for banamine. You can kill their kidneys too easily.

100.3 is average temp for a horse. Don't worry until you hit 102 or more.

Cupcake you need to notify your veterinarian that she is running a temp asap. Banamine will bring it down, but also cover up a problem.

Let your veterinarian know immediatly and follow their suggestions.

Talked to the vet, he said to keep checking the temp, could be from her getting worked up due to pain etc. it's down to 101.5 now, he said if I can keep it below 104 it's fine, but if it goes near 104 to all the emergency line. Of course this had to happen before the weekend. She was laying down when I checked on her, but got up when I went into the stall. I'm not good with blood, wounds and sick animals or people. Ugh. My daughter wants to be an equine vet, starting college in fall, so I'm glad she's here to help with the hydro therapy, etc. I just can't get the picture out of my head of the wound. Last year my paint had pigeon fever and when the vet lanced it I thought I was on a roller coaster. Yuck. Hopefully daughter hurries up and gets her degree, equus keepus brokus seem to be my words to live by...

Took some leftover wood this morning and built a "staircase" to get her in the back off the SUV easier if I need to take her back to the vet. Normally my husband can lift her in but with the wound being where it's at it's hard to grab her and we did it with 3 people yesterday. Ramp wasn't an option, I had no idea how to build it where it wouldn't be too steep and still fit in the car to take along. She walks up the stairs in my yard, they're built out of natural shaped rock so I'm hoping she can get up and down these, but more hoping I won't need them no time soon.

I was attempting to post a "before" pic of her from when we first got her, not sure if it works. Just changed my profile pic to a current pic of her.

Where do you guys upload pics to in order to post them?

Guess it only works when I link to it. Posted before/in between and after shots of her as well as a video. I just heard her call her big boyfriend back when he left his stable - best noise in the world! Will be cleaning the wound in a little and checking her temp again. Wish me luck and that she heals quickly. I feel so sorry for her
default_sad.png

Update: shes eating, drinking, temp down to 100.4, changed the dressing & rinsed it, looking good, draining well.

IMG_7919.jpg

There, I got a couple of your photos to post--when you are in your photobucket album, click on the picture you want, and then select the IMG code--click on it to copy, then just paste that link in the reply box here without using the photo button at the top of the posting box-- your post will show the http: ......jpg file name in between
and then when you click post the picture will show up.

Latest posts

Back