New here - Question about meds, horrible accident aftercare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beforeafter.jpg

Let's see if it works for me - this shows her the day we got her in February and then after clipping her the end of march.

You have certainly improved her appearance/condition in the time you've had her...good for you!

I am with Nathan; I would not give banamine more than once a day, unless in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances and on the INSISTENCE of a knowledgeable equine vet(for the reason Nathan cited, as well the ulcer risk.)

May I respectfully suggest you find a halter for her that fits well? I just shudder w/ dread when I see such a loose-fitting one on ANY horse; there is a real risk of getting 'hung up' either by a foot through the halter OR the halter hung on any projection- VERY dangerous, as the halter will NOT break.If she is gentle, there should be no need to leave a halter on her; ;you can put it on when you need to handle her, then remove it when you will not be right there working w/ her. (I personally never 'leave 'a halter on a horse, unless I will be right close by at all times...and even then, almost never.

She seems to be doing well; you seem to be handling the situation as required. Best wishes for a quick and uncomplicated recovery for your little Cupcake!

Margo

Its the smallest size, shes only 27". She "grew into" her halter better now and now never wears one unless I'm leading her. My paint is also halter less 24/7, I own two dogs, 3 cats and have 2 kids and as careful as I am with everyone unfortunately freak accidents like this teach me I can't be careful enough. Trust me I beat myself up over this every second of the day and wish I could turn back time. I also never turn the paint out with her, even though I know of minis who are pastured with big horses but I choose not to take the risk. They have body contact through the fence and over the stable walls. She did however manage to give herself a birthday gift for her first birthday and let herself out. My big boy looked extremely relieved when I put her back in the stall and his babysitting duties were done. It never gets boring around here...

She's doing great, cleaned the wound, draining well, she's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, giving kisses and trying to eat people's feet. Temperature is good!
default_smile.png

She seems to be doing good with once a day, I gave it to her this morning, her temp is normal, her behavior too. My daughter walked her a little and let her graze as she was drying off after hydro therapy. The vet didn't say anything as far as moving her around but I would think movement is good for circulation, drainage and gut health. Just not sure how much movement is too much? I know with freshly gelded horses they should be exercised a lot to speed up healing and my paint was to be lunged in trot after draining the pigeon fever abscess. Don't think I should make her run, but I will call the vet tomorrow to find out how much walking we should do. Her stall is 12x12 but it's not like she runs around in circles in there.

Update:

It's day 9 after the accident and she's healing so well!

My vet tech neighbor pulled the drain tube on Friday and her stitches will get removed this Friday. She's ready to run, already impatient during our daily walks and bucked around in her stall two days ago upon seeing me with alu spray in my hand
default_smile.png

I'm so happy about her recovering from this with no complications!

Thank you to everyone for supporting me through the first scary days!

Latest posts

Back