Question on keeping water tanks clean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
We have an enclosed 100 gallon water tank that we use to water the horses from. It is sitting on blocks so gravity helps to keep the "flow" going thru the spigot faster. IN the summer, we get algea growing inside, and was wondering, short of draining it & cleaning out the entire thing every few weeks, what we could use to help keep it clean longer.

Is clorine an option at all...in small amounts? I know it's used in swimming pools & kids do swallow the water occassionally with no ill effects. Was just wondering if a very small amount of clorine in the water tank would help to discourage algea growth. Or, would you have to use so much of it, it wouldn't be safe for the horses.

Are there any other options? We do drain the tank entirely & scrub it down once a year before winter. Just would like to know if there is something I could be using to keep the water nicer...longer.

Thanks!

We have an enclosed 100 gallon water tank that we use to water the horses from. It is sitting on blocks so gravity helps to keep the "flow" going thru the spigot faster. IN the summer, we get algea growing inside, and was wondering, short of draining it & cleaning out the entire thing every few weeks, what we could use to help keep it clean longer.

Is clorine an option at all...in small amounts? I know it's used in swimming pools & kids do swallow the water occassionally with no ill effects. Was just wondering if a very small amount of clorine in the water tank would help to discourage algea growth. Or, would you have to use so much of it, it wouldn't be safe for the horses.

Are there any other options? We do drain the tank entirely & scrub it down once a year before winter. Just would like to know if there is something I could be using to keep the water nicer...longer.

If it is metal there is a product that is plastic(see it at www.bioverse.com)Stock Tank Water Cleaner and sits on the bottom of the tank and has a small packet that fits inside much like a coffee set up in a motel.Tried it-doesn't work in Rubbermade tanks.I tried goldfish-top was clean bottom GROSS.I just turn it over a clean every few weeks.A few drops of bleach keeps tank clean somewhat longer, but heat just makes it get really green quicker.

We have our HOUSE WATER delivered to us twice a month. It's stored in a huge cistern. We have a pump that pulls it into a smaller holding tank and from there it flows into our house when ever we turn on our taps in the house.

Once a year our cistern is cleaned out, and periodically we drop a very small amount of Bleach into it. But when you figure 1/4 cup of Bleach into a 2500 gallon holding tank? It keeps our concrete cistern clean for a year. I can look down into it through the small opening and can always see the bottom without anything distorting the view.

Not sure how big your tank is, but I would bet a couple of tablespoons of Bleach will do the trick.
default_wink.png

And maybe not even THAT much.

Is it clear? Where the water is exposed to sunlight? I think that that encourages the algae to grow. If it is, maybe you could cover it? Don't know what else to do about it except maybe try the bleach like the pp suggested.

Im with Cretashillgal, if its one of those big square clearish holding tanks, cover it. The sunlight through the clear plastic will make algae.

Bleach will rot your METAL TANK! I'd toss a few medium sized Koi in there. At the end of the year toss those on the BBQ...Yes I am serious!

Thanks for all your suggestions!
default_yes.gif
I know I can always count on you guys to help with suggestions I've never thought of.

Actually, it is a 100 gallon clear'ish white plastic tank (the kind they make for farmers to haul chemicals in). Never thought about covering it. It IS inside the barn and doesn't get direct sunlight, but still gets some light. So, good idea...will try that. I think I will also try putting a very small amount of bleach in it to see if that helps.

Hey Dona I have no good news for you. I fought this crud in Florida like a crazy person scrubbing gook and using bleach like a madman and it was just nasty. The best thing I did was to get rid of the stupid big tanks and bathtubs and go to smaller containers that can be cleaned easy and fresh water added daily. I use the big plastic tubs all over the place (7) with the rope handles. No more algea. Simple and easy and everyone gets fresh water daily and doesn't take long to run around and fill them.

To keep my stock tanks algae-free and mosquito-free, I keep a small burlap sack of barley straw (I buy it at the local tack store) tied to a rock in the tank to kill off the algae (lasts a month)and add a few goldfish that eat the bug larva. Works very well, though I have to dechlorinate the water so I don't kill the fish when I refill the tank. I swear by barley straw- nontoxic, and doesn't let algae grow (I have know idea why.lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried the barley too and it does work pretty well, assuming you start with a clean tank. It is supposed to be safe & non-toxic for everything, but the last ones I put in apparently killed all my goldfish - they were belly up the next day! Have used them before with no problem, don't know what that was about.

We use a tiny bit of bleach in a holding tank for the house water also, water without it smells nasty. I have 4 big Rubbermaid tanks out in the pastures, no way to use smaller ones there and they don't get cleaned as often as they should but I do try to keep the barley and/or goldfish in them.

Jan

Interesting I have had this problem for years now to. I have a rubbermaid tank and every couple of days I have to empty it, scrub it and let it sit in the sun for a few hours before refilling it. I tried that crystal clear or whatever it is called and it didnt work at all. I was going to try the straw in burlap so I am glad to hear from others that it does seem to work. I will give it a try and see what happens. I hate wasting so much water by dumping that large tank out so often so hoepfully it will work :)

My dad helps me with my horses and he has always sprinkled lime in the tanks. It keeps the water clear and deters the algae.

Back