Gas Colic in Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnmother

Reaction score
I have a gelding who doesn't drink a lot of water and when the weather is colder even though he has a heated bucket to keep the water from freezing he drinks even less.

I thought that perhaps giving him beet pulp shreds that was really well soaked with water would help his water intake. We started feeding it two days ago and yesterday we had another bout of gas colic. So my question(s) are does beet pulp shreds create gas? His former owner only fed once a day and he did eat beet pulp when he was with her. She also said he never coliced. I worked for a large animal vet for many many years so recognize a colic pretty quickly and act pretty quickly to intervene.

The second question is when he colics he still passes poop but definitely has tons of gas. So he gets treated and stalled under the camera so he can be watched. Of course he has all food withheld until he has passed plenty of poop. Problem is he poops just fine however he eats it because he hasn't been fed so unless you see it you would never know he had gone.

How do you stop horses from eating poop? (What a gross habit!) Does anyone have any tried and true ideas?

We feed twice a day grass hay and alfalfa pellets during the winter, during the show season we add Purina's Miniature Horse and Pony. Water buckets are cleaned regularly with a scrub brush and no cleaning products. He is the only horse that seems to be having a problem.

He is current on his shots and up to date on worming, although he is not about due. All the horses in my herd are wormed regularly and I have never seen worms in their poop after worming.

Since he is eating poop could he also be eating dirt and would that cause a gas colic? I can't find any sand in his poop doing the glove test. Our local vets are not miniature horse savy in fact I have had to purchase my own miniature size supplied for them to use since they only had equipment for large equines or bovines. (Dental floats, stomach tubes etc. and before anyone even says anything no I would NEVER use these myself!)

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing i can think of , is get rid of the poo daily , as for gas colic lung him,,,

I am talking about eating the poo when he was stalled for the colic, He has it gone before you could get to the barn to shovel! As to lunging him, we do walk him but with snow and ice on the ground lunging him isn't a possibility.

Coprography is not a normal pattern of behaviour, normally a horse would have to be starving to eat poop, so you have one problem right there- usually radical changes in behaviour are linked to high levels of stress- which could also be causing the colic. First off, apart from location, what has changed in this horses life?

I could give you no end of helpful hints on how to treat your problem, but none of them would be any use until you have found out what is causing it.

Nothing has changed in his housing, pasture mates, stall, buckets or anything in two years absolutely nothing; other than the normal seasonal weather changes and that two days ago we added soaked shredded beet pulp to his feed. Horse has appropriate amount of weight on him not to fat not to thin, looks and acts fine, always happy to see us. Loves his food and eats every scrap.

If it were my horse I would start sand clear then ulcer meds. I would feed more hay and less pellets. I would also feed 3 times a day instead of two. (at least for now till his gut settles down.) If it didn't start till you added beet pulp, then stop the beet pulp for now. You can gradually introduce it at a later time.

I'm wondering a lot of things. I'm just going to throw a bunch of stuff out here for consideration. How much time is he stalled? How big is the stall? Can he see out easily? If he is over stalled, eating plenty of hay to keep him in grazing mode and cannot get out daily for a good run to digest it, that can cause a colic really easy. Mine are stalled at night and in bad weather so its a hard call about the hay. I want them to eat the hay but also not get so stuffed they can impact themselves on it. Kicking them out daily for a few hours is key but if the weather is horrible, they at least get the run of the barn asile. Are you sure its good hay for horses that is not coarse? Needs to be soft but not extremely fine either. Also, if he is stalled alone, being the only one in the barn if he is separated that could cause stress easily.

I don't think soaked beet pulp would contribute to a colic unless maybe you are feeding too much of it?

As for eating poop and dirt, even after a colic episode, that can also mean he is lacking something in the diet. I also feed a handful of alfalfa pellets just as a treat. Makes them drink like crazy so I'm sure its only a little tiny handful. Its possible you may have to re-work your feeding plan with this guy. He may be a very good candidate for Enrich 32 which is Purina's ration balancer where he will get all the necessary vitamins and minerals that he could be lacking. Just another thought.

Last but not least, are you possitive its full blown gas colic? You would see his sides blow up huge and then basically have to lunge him to get him to release the gas and he would probably be down pawing, thrashing, rolling etc. Is there anyway these episodes can be mistaken for ulcers if he is not down rolling about etc all the above? I've had way too many vets misdiagnose ulcers for colic.

Also, probios wouldn't hurt a thing. If you don't have probios on hand, Activia is pretty good stuff.

Good luck and best wishes.

Have been doing quite a bit of reading and seems that beet pulp can indeed create gas. So I think that we will drop the beet pulp until such a time as the snow and ice melt and we can do forced exercise and training again in the spring and try reintroducing it then. We do feed sand clear one week a month to everyone, always have as an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Why do you think ulcer meds? And we do feed a good quality hay morning and night. They get the alfalfa pellets 1# at night along with hay.

I think ulcer meds is a good idea because something has upset his gut and could be causing irritation. The bacteria has changed for some reason, so it can cause ulcers. Gastroguard or ulcer guard will not hurt, but may protect him.

I'm wondering a lot of things. I'm just going to throw a bunch of stuff out here for consideration. How much time is he stalled? Stalled about 8 hours a day. How big is the stall? Stall is 12 x 12 Can he see out easily? Yes If he is over stalled, eating plenty of hay to keep him in grazing mode and cannot get out daily for a good run to digest it, that can cause a colic really easy. Mine are stalled at night and in bad weather so its a hard call about the hay. He (and others) are only stalled at night, they are out the rest of the time and yes they run and play. I want them to eat the hay but also not get so stuffed they can impact themselves on it. Kicking them out daily for a few hours is key but if the weather is horrible, they at least get the run of the barn asile. Even if the weather is terrible they go out. They have trees to stand under or the barn eves if they are desperate. Are you sure its good hay for horses that is not coarse? Yes it is excellent hay for horses, grass not alfalfa that is why I add some alfalfa pellets. All the horses eat the same feed, they look great and only this one seems to have issues. Needs to be soft but not extremely fine either. The occasional coarser stemmed bale I have found goes to the local wildlife, it is great hay. Also, if he is stalled alone, No being the only one in the barn if he is separated that could cause stress easily. All horses are in as they have always been, he was added to my group two years ago and his routine has been the same, same stall, same pasture mates, everything.

I don't think soaked beet pulp would contribute to a colic unless maybe you are feeding too much of it? What would you consider too much? They are getting about 3 cups each after it is soaked.

As for eating poop and dirt, even after a colic episode, that can also mean he is lacking something in the diet. I think he eats the poop because he is hungry and isn't being fed. I also feed a handful of alfalfa pellets just as a treat. Makes them drink like crazy so I'm sure its only a little tiny handful. Like I said he doesn't seem to drink much, certainly not as much as his counterparts so I am thinking water consumption is part of the problem that is why I added the beet pulp to get some extra water into him. Its possible you may have to re-work your feeding plan with this guy. He may be a very good candidate for Enrich 32 which is Purina's ration balancer where he will get all the necessary vitamins and minerals that he could be lacking. Just another thought. I was thinking that he might benefit from some minerals in his grain I have used Source during the show season on my horses maybe he needs it now.

Last but not least, are you possitive its full blown gas colic? Oh Yeah I am sure! You would see his sides blow up huge and then basically have to lunge him to get him to release the gas and he would probably be down pawing, thrashing, rolling etc. He is down and rolling, not a lot of pawing, reluctant to get up, has a "kink" in his tail that he only has during these episodes, yes he passes gas and if you check bowel sounds you can definitely confirm gas. Is there anyway these episodes can be mistaken for ulcers if he is not down rolling about etc all the above? Don't think so. I've had way too many vets misdiagnose ulcers for colic. Remember I was a vet assistant for horses both on the farm and in a veterinary hospital for many years so I am sure of what I am seeing and hearing.

Also, probios wouldn't hurt a thing. If you don't have probios on hand, Activia is pretty good stuff. A good thought and certainly worth a try. Don't think I have any on hand but can sure get some.

Good luck and best wishes. Thank you and if my answers give you any other clues please let me know!
Ok answered the questions asked in red to see if additional information helps.

Another note to add: Since he is right as rain this morning and the excessive gut sounds have stopped he received his breakfast. There were three untouched (un-eaten) piles of poop in his stall this morning so I truly believe he eats the poop because he was hungry and didn't get fed last night. Temps might get up to a tick above freezing today 27 degrees (f) out this morning as it has been the last few days. Haven't gone out and measured his water consumption but appears that there is nothing gone from the 5 gallon heated bucket that we marked yesterday when this episode began.

Another note to add: Since he is right as rain this morning and the excessive gut sounds have stopped he received his breakfast. There were three untouched (un-eaten) piles of poop in his stall this morning so I truly believe he eats the poop because he was hungry and didn't get fed last night. Temps might get up to a tick above freezing today 27 degrees (f) out this morning as it has been the last few days. Haven't gone out and measured his water consumption but appears that there is nothing gone from the 5 gallon heated bucket that we marked yesterday when this episode began.
If you are worried about the beet pulp being an issue; try soaking his alfalfa pellets, it'll help get water in his system.

That is great news! i agree that he wants something in his stomach to make him feel better. That is why hay would be the best since it is not so concentrated and he can have more of it. You might try and see if he likes gatorade. You can bring him a bowl and hold it for him to drink. if you feel you need to feed him alfalfa pellets, then I would make it alfalfa soup. Then feed it right away. Don't let it sit for long. I would not increase the alfalfa pellets though.

Had a 2 year old stallion who would eat poop. Tried so many things to stop it and no one else in his run was doing it. Finally last ditch effort was to treat him for ulcers and give free choice alfalfa. Not sure which one did the trick but he did stop pretty quick. I stopped the ulcergard after 4 weeks and he no longer gets free choice alfalfa but he does seem to require almost double the amount of alfalfa as any of my others... and he is half their size! Who knows!!!

Here is another thought. When the weather was warmer he could find bits of grass to nibble on during the day. Now that it is colder he cannot, so he goes for longer periods without something to eat. The manure could also be contributing to the gas since it is loaded with bacteria.

I do hope he continues to feel better.

OK, loads of info there. Get him onto Ulcer meds ASAP, gas colic happens to anyone and everyone, but it should only happen once, not spasmodically (sorry no puns intended, honest)

The beet pulp is not the problem, I feed mine by the bucket full and I don't get gas, but I would still cut it out for your own peace of mind and because one in a million horses have an allergy to it.

Soak the hay. Feed it ad lib. If a horse gas colics with me I do not with hold hay, btw, as if they are pooping and their tummy is upset they will not eat anyway- it is a good sign to find them eating again, but you must do as your Vet advises, if they are involved, otherwise there is no point in involving them.

You might try probiotics as well as the gastroguard .

Eating poop is NEVER a good sign, and is no good at all for horses, I would not suggest this lightly but, if he colics again and you are still going with the "no food" thing, I would muzzle him. Personally I think that hay to eat is doing less damage than eating his poop!

One more thought. Did you happen to get a new water bucket? Some of my horses will snub a new water bucket for a while. They must smell funny. i know this may be a hassle, but you might try switching the water buckets from the mares to the gelding. He may enjoy drinking out of their water bucket better. (unless of course they are all together anyway). My horses love to get into each others stuff.

You could try adding another water bucket that is not heated in his area that is a distance away from the other one. Maybe there is something about that one he doesn't care for.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is eating poop it can be something he is lacking from his diet or just plain boredom. I would seriously consider giving him a slow feeder hay bag for him to eat in the stall. The hay will last longer for him and gives him something too do, and it will also help with colic and ulcers if he has more access to hay. Another thing for boredom is toys in his stall.

Beet pulp may not be the culprit but unless it wasn't introduced slowly like any other feed it can be. Do you have a salt block for him? That would help get him to drink. But if he isn't drinking enough that could lead to colic. Here is what I personally would do is get him on a good feeding program, something to where you don't need to feed him so much grain but more hay, get a slow feeder hay bag, make sure he has access to a salt block and minerals. I would also look into a few supplements for him. Like SmartLytes, SmartGut and SmartDigest.

I had a friend who had a colt that was getting colic regularly. It was a major problem for her--when she told me what she was feeding the horse I told her to increase the amounts. I kept telling her she needs to feed him more but she would up his ration only a tiny bit. Finally she was giving him more (enough) feed and the colic stopped. She told me after she now realizes that his colic was caused by not enough feed. Simple truth is some horses need more feed than others, and if they don't get enough they colic. I can sympathize because if I don't eat enough I get terrible stomach pains and gas.

Given the way your gelding eats poop when you withhold feed I would agree he is very hungry--and my guess is if you increase his overall ration his colic episodes will disappear. .

• Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. He does use a little nibbler haynet, maybe he finds that frustrating so I will try feeding him some hay on the ground and some in the feeder.

Latest posts

Back