Mare Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maiden mares can carry very high and tight --since nothing has been stretched out before. Hopefully Chanda will post the picture of her mare who had us guessing -- and then foaled in the afternoon.

Nothing to worry about. I'm sure baby is perfectly normal size, but mom is holding it up high. That's what so crazy about these maiden mommas. They can keep us guessing right up until the end, sometimes.

Her bag looks good, it appears baby is lined up, as she looks quite slab-sided, so not much more time!! Keep a good eye on her, and keep us posted on her personality changes. All good here!!

Ok, here are Tana's pictures...

Tana was maiden the year these pictures were taken, her gestation was 307 days, and I honestly think she went a tad early, but everything turned out perfect, so no harm, no foul.

Anyway, I took these pictures first thing in the morning:

Tana - June 23, 2012.jpg

Tana - june 23, 2012 - 2.jpg

Tana - June 23, 2012 - with Dolly.jpg

And, Tana shortly after lunch, all on her own, as I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon:

Tana and foal - June 23, 2012.jpg

Tana and foal - june 23, 2012 - dorsal.jpg

I had no idea I had these pictures til several months later, the excitement of the afternoon just washed over everything so those morning pics were totally forgotten about.

Oh, she looks a lot like Smudge does. What did her udder look like that morning? Did she give you any other signs at all? These little mares can be so sneaky!

Oh, she looks a lot like Smudge does. What did her udder look like that morning? Did she give you any other signs at all? These little mares can be so sneaky!
I hadn't even started checking her udder, since she was barely over 300 days. [The mare that foaled the week before her, was 320 days, so I fully expected close to 320 days, so I wasn't watching that closely. I know better now, and will start checking more closely this year. Only one mare is maiden this year, the rest have at least one previous foal.]

Just posting some more pictures and another Smudge update! Vulva is looking really long and more red on the inside (but she won't let me take a picture anymore) and butt muscles are soft. She's grumpy in general and doesn't want us around much or touching her, which is very unusual for her. Today we noticed she's been standing in a different spot in her stall, one that she's never stood in before so we thought that was very odd! Her bag is really hanging down now and tonight it was hard as a rock when I felt it.

20160414_170136_resized.jpg

20160414_170231_resized.jpg

20160414_210028_resized.jpg

20160414_210044_resized.jpg

Great signs that she is moving towards the big event. Keep an eye on her Manure It will tend to look more like cow pattys/pies as she is getting close.

Her being a little gumpy is perfectly normal and standing in a different position , she may be sussing out where she is going to foal.

best of luck for a safe foaling
default_smile.png
Come on smudge
default_thumbup.gif

so excited for you!! Can't wait to see baby
default_smile.png

Another Smudge update (just without pictures). Her bag is very very hard and both nipples are pointing straight down and about 3 inches apart. Her vulva is nice and elongated and puffy. It also had become a deeper red/pink on the inside. I was so confused when you would say she is "slab-sided", but looking at her this morning it was very clear! She is definitely slab sided! Her last several poops have been cow patties!! Praying for a safe delivery tonight!! :D

Noticed with our mares, if they have cow patties, babies arrived within the hour.
She has had them all morning, but it was such a nice day I put her outside. I'm guessing she's not comfortable enough to foal outside so will wait until she comes in tonight!

I can't wait!! Watch her like a hawk -- this sounds like it's time, and we're all praying for an uneventful delivery of a healthy little one!!!

Come on little momma!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray

Looks just like our Bluebell (forum, are we getting close?) we have posted on here! We have been waiting forever, but we have no idea on a date as we bought her in august. It will be a race to see who goes first! Best of luck! Can't wait to see pics!

Well no baby yet...everything is still the same. Seems like she's just going to drag it out for as long as she can! (I guess they're easier to take care of when they're inside!)

I think that's our last mares opinion. She would be roughly 17 days later than the first mare. The first mares baby will be four weeks Friday. Last year she went from no bag to baby in 22 days. She's dragging this year.

I'm spoken with several people, and everyone has said their mares are running longer. Must just be the year! I'm so used to big horses, my mare went from bag to milk to baby in 2 weeks (she was a textbook case, so it was lovely!)

Our first mare foaledbefore 330 days and she went 355 days last year. This mare foaled at 354 days her first baby, last year went at 328, and this year we are at 324 days.

Latest posts

Back