Question on fences and dog attacks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
I have to admit since I started reading this forum all the posts from people who have had dog attacks on their minis has freaked me out. Especially since my mare has had her foal. I have them in the square mesh fencing and I was wondering if this would keep dogs out? Is there a good chance they would dig under the fence to get in at them? Is there someway I can make it safer? I have thought about 2 things.

One would be to to place large rocks along the bottom of the fence, both outside and in.

The other idea I had was to run 2 strands of the wide electric tape along the bottom and juice it.

Now do you all think that one of these things is something I should do or do you think Im safe with just the square mesh wire fencing?

The reason I am so concerned is because my neighbor hunts bobcat and black bear and uses dogs to do it, he has about dozen bear/cat dogs and occasionally one does get loose and head to my place, now I dont know if these hounds would attack horses or not, but they do chase bears up trees sooooo
default_unsure.png
:

Right now I keep the mare and foal locked in the stall if I am not home to keep an eye on them and I work full time so Im feeling pretty bad about them being locked up all day..getting 3 or so hours turn out and then back in for the night. I have always believed it is cruel to lock up equines like that and my riding mare has free choice of when to be out and when to be in, but I dont worry about her with the dogs like I do the minis, especially the baby where she runs and plays so much...I can just see that triggering the prey drive in a dog.

So what do you all think...safe the way it is or should I either do the rocks or tape and how much safer will that be? Thanks for your time everyone.

I'm a big advocate of using electric tape or wire fencing as back-up to your regular fence to keep out predators. Dogs do tend to prefer to try going UNDER a fence FIRST. But some dogs will try climbing or jumping too.

MA

Now should the electric go inside the wire fence or outside?

I'm a big advocate of using electric tape or wire fencing as back-up to your regular fence to keep out predators. Dogs do tend to prefer to try going UNDER a fence FIRST. But some dogs will try climbing or jumping too.

MA

Now should the electric go inside the wire fence or outside?

MA

If you are using it to keep dogs out, than outside the fence to detour them from digging under.

[inside if you are using it to keep the horses from rubbing and leaning on the fence.]

I'm on the other side of your answers so far, my minis are stalled at night because of wild animals roaming at night such as fisher cats, coyotes, foxes, an occasional bear comes thru and packs of wild dogs. I take no chance if I can help it so all 13 come in at night, every night, year round. I can sleep that way.

We have an attack gelding... Lol.. Seriously, after our three pet goats were attacked by a vicious dog several times, I found some rail road ties that were water logged, and moved them to the inside edge of the fence. They are very heavy... They have since worked really well, since I put them there out of desperation in the middle of the night. I even dug them down enough that no amount of dog will dig them out of the way. I did this in the dark... in the middle of the night! Lol.. Now, the only problem I have is dog howling at the fence in the middle of the night, that want to get in.

In the summer, I let the babies run around outside, with our QH mare and our attack stallion... I'm not an advocate of big horses with little horses, but for the summer, this works okay. She thinks they are her babies... she's been with them for a couple of years now. We also have a sheepdog and anyone.. anything gets near our fence and that dog is barking his head off. Okay, so I don't sleep well in the summer these days... but I've got our new house, and the new barn is on the drawling board.

Just as a secondary pecaution, you can get motion sensors and put them around the border of your property or at least the horse pen/pasture. Anything (dogs, humans, loose horses) that passes through the sensor will set off an alarm alerting you.

My minis are out during the day and in the barn at night, we get coyotes going through and in winter a pack of wolves comes through and they are not even scared of us so all minis (6) are in at night. We also have our dog kennels by the horse barn and anything that comes on the property, we know right away by the combined barking of 3 golden retrievers
default_rolleyes.gif
: and someone is home most of the time (my husband) if he is going to leave the property for an extended period he brings the horses in, during the day we have them on electric horse tape fencing. We haven't had any instances of other dogs coming on the property but after reading all the reports on the forum about dog attacks we will be more vigilant, we keep a shotgun in the barn area for the coyotes as we have sheep too and if we have predators going after the sheep we are allowed to shoot them, I guess any I shoot will have been after the sheep
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great! :aktion033: I think I'll go with big rocks inside and outside at the bottom of the fence or possibly railroad ties, that was a great idea!...and I mean BIG rocks and then electric tape along the top for any that think of trying to climb in with the minis. The motion sensors wont work..thing would be going off all the time..I live in the country, racoons, cats, deer, turkey, you name it I have it wandering around. I'd love to put them in with my riding mare...she'd go after anything that was after those minis especially the baby, she loves her. However mama mini hates her so that wont work.

Latest posts

Back