Question on a color pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I'll just describe it, it's easy to picture. A horse with a colored head and the other color is all the way down his back, like a saddle, I think we've all seen this pattern. That's the only color on him. Is this a tobiano or an overo? Could he have a homozygous (for tobiano) foal if bred to a tobiano mare?

A horse like the one described is most likely carrying multiple patterns, both tobiano and one or more overo patterns. I would definitely test such a horse for LWO, and you could also test for Tobiano to confirm that and find out if it homozygous for this gene. It can also help you to know the patterns involved if you look at the ancestors.

A photo or two would greatly improve any possible answers.

I agree with all of the above
default_smile.png

Usually when you see horses colored like that they are carrying splash. Splash will cover up some of the Tobiano markings like the chest shield and flank color

Thanks for the answers, I can't put a picture on or I would, he's not my horse. It's a pretty common pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marnie,

From your description only......it sounds like you are dealing with Tobiano AT LEAST. Sabino is more subtle and would take seeing a photo. Splash/Overo also would probably need a photo.

I'll put a picture up of the pattern I think you are describing, only in this case, the horse has a chest shield as well.

IMG0393_00_010.jpg

IMG_2635_025.jpg

The sire is in my avatar and the dam is a solid Silver Bay. Both are LWO negative. This colt carries Tobiano, Splash, and probably Sabino as well. A similar pattern would also be possible from other combinations. If a homozygous Tobiano foal is important to you, I would test, as well as testing for LWO.

Thanks. On this one the color is the entire way down his back. No other color, no chest shield, just the head, a little of the neck and all the way down the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok Marnie... spill! Are you thinking of buying one?????

Robin

Latest posts

Back