Question for the Aquarium People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
I purchased this little guy last December( thinking he may have been a month old) He is the lion headed variety- So he is suppose to grow that big bulbus head. Does any one have one of these? What I have read is they grow the head blub around age one- - Does anyone know when they start growing them?

Thanks Tiffany

2008-08-17173.jpg

2008-08-17170.jpg

How big was he when you got him? Why do you think it was only a month or so old? I am betting he or she is more close to a year. I have worked for large scale breeders in the past, this is why I ask. Some of the lionheads dont get a big raspberry or "lion head"....they just stay small. Make sure no one picks on him in the tank, some of the quicker moving "single tail" goldfish will beat them up or even munch on thier head growth. Also, tank size is very imprtant.. the bigger the better. He is very cute by the way, I just love goldfish!
default_smile.png

I have a few lionheads in my tank. They are big fish with big heads. I am just heading out now, but will post a pic tonight. I have also bought lionheads and they never developed any bulb.How big is your fish? If you purchased him last Dec. I would think by now, if he was going to show a bulb he would of started. I have purchased young fish, and (if I remember right
default_rolleyes.gif
) they all had started a bulb head before 1 yr of age. Can you see anything up there? I have one now, that is about 1 yr old, and has a small bulb, but you can see it, but I dont think he will ever grow a big one. My "perfect lionhead" is about 2 yrs old and has a nice large bulb.

How big was he when you got him? Why do you think it was only a month or so old? I am betting he or she is more close to a year. I have worked for large scale breeders in the past, this is why I ask. Some of the lionheads dont get a big raspberry or "lion head"....they just stay small. Make sure no one picks on him in the tank, some of the quicker moving "single tail" goldfish will beat them up or even munch on thier head growth. Also, tank size is very imprtant.. the bigger the better. He is very cute by the way, I just love goldfish!
default_smile.png

Good info- I think he was only a month old by his size when we got him - he was just a wee little guy his main body not being more than a penny long) He is in a 30 gallon tank along with a few other fancy gold fish( bubble eye and a black moor- and a monster algea eater that doesn't do much)- We do watch to make sure no one picks on anyone and they all seem to be doing well. I will be so disappointed he doesn't grow a raspberry- but I have been thinking that he might not - thats why I asked. Do you know how late they could grow them?

T

Forgot my fancy multi colored goldfish he is in there too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few lionheads in my tank. They are big fish with big heads. I am just heading out now, but will post a pic tonight. I have also bought lionheads and they never developed any bulb.How big is your fish? If you purchased him last Dec. I would think by now, if he was going to show a bulb he would of started. I have purchased young fish, and (if I remember right
default_rolleyes.gif
) they all had started a bulb head before 1 yr of age. Can you see anything up there? I have one now, that is about 1 yr old, and has a small bulb, but you can see it, but I dont think he will ever grow a big one. My "perfect lionhead" is about 2 yrs old and has a nice large bulb.

He is almost 3 inches from start to finish- would loive to see your pictures later.

default_smile.png

Not a thing on his head- the area is a little darker than the rest of him but thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lionfish..is that close to lionhead lol.

c-1.jpg

I'd LOVE a goldie tank. They are always such happy looking fish. DO you have any more pics of your tank and filtration info?

ozymandias- They look very different LOL- boy that is a beautiful fish
default_wub.png

We use the Bio- Wheel - but not sure of the make or model number- we had the regular system for the first year of the aqarium and had all kinds of problems- but 2 weeks with the bio- wheel and I would never go back- the aquarium basicall takes care of itself other than maintance- I think this is year 5 of the wheel.

I will get more picture once the batteries charged for my camera.

default_smile.png

Thanks, she's a sweetie. She eats right from my hands - carefully on my part lol.

OKay, I know abot bio wheels. That's good to know 'cus in reading about goldies it seems they are high bio load producers. Can't wait to see more pics
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back