Question for ASPC/AMHR folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
Hi Folks - Here is the scenario

Mare is ASPC/AMHR

Stallion is 2 yrs and is ASPC only but will easily hardship into AMHR next year

If I breed the ASPC/AMHR mares to this ASPC stallion, and he hardships into AMHR next year, can the resulting foal be "grandfathered" into AMHR - or does it need to wait until it is 3 to hardship in?

I think that what you could do is send in an AMHR stallion report for the stallion with "hardship pending" as his registration number, with the mare listed on it of course, and then plan the foal to be born after the stallion is hardshipped in, then the foal should be able to be registered normally. But, it would be best to call AMHR and find out for sure. I've done this sort of thing with horses being hardshipped in AMHA but not in AMHR.

You'll be able to register the foal AMHR as soon as the stallion gets his AMHR papers--you won't have to wait until that foal is 3 to get AMHR papers for him/her. edited to add: It won't even matter if the foal is born before the sire gets his AMHR registration--I checked that on a mare I was hardshipping in a few years ago. There's no requirement that says the foal must be born after the hardship is done.

Stallion report should be no problem, as Magic described above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an fyi to register a shetland the parents have to be 3 or older before the foal is born.

No Shetland foal may be registered out of a sire or

dam unless BOTH have reached their third birthday

(birthday as of January 1) during the foaling year.

Latest posts

Back