Question about worming?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelridge

Reaction score
I ordered a bottle of the Safegaurd Suspension from Agri-Med and was wondering if you all minded telling me again what the dosages you all use?

I see on the bottle is has the weight dosage, is it the same for the minis?

And for the 5 day purge its just double, correct?

I also bought a bottle of the Ivomec liquid.

Do ya'll top dress the feed or just squirt it back in the cheek?

thanks!

Angie

Can't answer your Safeguard questions as use the paste when we use it.

For the Ivomec liquid, we've done both methods -- depending on the horse. We have one particular mare who goes absolutely nuts with having anything put in her mouth, so we worm her using the her grain.

MA

This is the dosage I use for liquid Safeguard/Panacur - 2.3 ml - 100 lbs, 4.6 ml - 200 lbs, 6.9 ml - 300 lbs, 9.2 ml - 400 lbs. I haven't done the 5 day purge, but since you double the paste version, I would assume you would double the liquid version.

My horses would not eat anything added to their feed so to make sure they all recieve the amount of wormer they're supposed to have, I put the liquid in a syringe and squirt it in their mouth.

What Becky posted is what we do too. Using the Fenbendazole it is better to error on the side of to much rather than to little anyway. My opinion at least!

Here is a conversion chart for wet and dry measurements -

Conversion Table

Thanks for that Michelle- I've been Metric for over 30 years and it gets confusing!!

I would not use Fenbendazole as a wormer for anything except:-

Foals, their first worming

The five day purge, which, for some reason is NOT double, in Europe- perhaps our worms are more polite??
default_smile.png

And, Yes, Of course, I have checked with the manufacturers!!

Fenbendazole is a very mild wormer and really is only effective, in a single dose, against the nasty big roundworms all foals seem to come with no matter how well you worm Mama.

So, it would not have a place in my cabinet except for these purpose.

Just another reason not to haphazardly rotate wormers.

Get a routine and stick to it is the best advice I can give.

Thanks everyone, and I forgot to ask,, ml is the same as cc ?

so 3 ml of ivomec is just 3 cc 's in a regular syringe?

Angie

Yes a ML is the same as a CC.

The 5 day purge dose is 4.6 ML per 100 pounds of body weight. This is the dose my vet told me to use with the Safeguard Suspension
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back