Question about lineage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHgirl

Reaction score
Being new to minis, I am trying to learn all I can. Could someone explain to me the main "families" of different miniature lines? Also, I have read about the Falabella horses and where they came from, and I know that they are farms that specialize in these horses, but I wonder if they have been incorporated into the main bloodlines. Are there different types within the industry, as I have seen farms advertising Arabian-types? Any info that you guys can share to help me become educated would be greatly appreciated.

I have a granddaughter of Boones Little Buckeroo and another mare with Flying W Farms Little Blue Boy close up, they have some other show horses in their pedigree, but I don't have the papers with me.

Thanks!
default_rolleyes.gif

I would suggest checking out member websites and looking at who's behind the horses you admire
default_yes.gif

We have "a lot" of Buckeroo here and it's made me pretty happy
default_smile.png

Some of the stallions that I consider to be pretty important to the Miniature Horse breed include Rowdy, Gold Melody Boy, FWF Little Blue Boy, and of course Buckeroo (descended from Gold Melody Boy). I left out Orion because we breed pintos and he was an Appaloosa - a very nice one too. For driving horses, Rhoten's Little Dandy blood is popular. There is a book on Outstanding Miniature Horse Stallions by Pat Elder that you might enjoy. It lists plenty more.

We have a lot of Rowdy blood in our herd, plus some Buckeroo, Blue Boy and Gold Melody Boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So maybe this is a stupid question but how do you find out if there is or is not Falabella in a horses bloodlines? Is their a blood test or certain horses that you would look for on their pedigree report? This bloodlines fascinates me honestly and I would love to know more!
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome from HOT Florida.

I raise Appaloosas and Falabellas, and the answer to incorporation into bloodlines is yes. Chianti, who is called the "Grandfather of Miniature Appaloosas" was a pure Falabella stallion imported from Argentina. He sired many foals, and many famous stallions, like Pepper, HNFS Chief Whitenose, Shadow Oaks Cock Robin and several others that are part of appaloosa mini-history. Many, many appaloosa lines trace back to Chianti -- and you will find many other Falabellas showing in solid lines also.

Welcome again.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you purchase minis that are registared with AMHA, AMHR, or the Fallabella registry, you can a pedigre. It will tell you what horses are in the background. If you need to go back further than a couple of generations you can check the online stud books from those registries.

As for type, that is still evolving. People concentrate on what they want their minis too look like and strive for that. What is winning in the show rings today may not be what will win in the future.

Good conformation is a must and a lot of breeders have acheived that. We still have different views on what type is the best. I think that is a good thing.

Komokos Little King Supreme (very famous and also was owned by Little King farms and his get was/still to today crossed with Buckeroo sons/daughters)

He is the foundation base of my breeding program and I am VERY HONORED to own a double bred son of his. I also have 4 mares who are King Supreme bred as well.

Also other names found in my program are,

Komokos

Johnstons

Gold Melody Boy

Little Kings

Buckeroo

West Wind

Mini Whinnys

Heres a pic of King Supreme and my son Little Kings Sentra Supreme.

komokoslittlekingsupreme.jpg

DSC02915_cropped_6x4_sm.jpg

There are a lot of good bloodlines out there, but the most important thing to look at is the horse that in standing in front of you that you are interested in. As someone once said "You can't ride the papers!" There are a lot of horses with fantastic pedigrees that were junk. And there are horses out there with "unknown" or less than stellar pedigrees that are incredible.

But pedigrees do give you a starting point to start looking at horses. In my case, I love the Buckeroo line. Sadly the miniature horse world lost this tremendous stallion just a few weeks ago, but I am honored to have his bloodline in most of my herd. My main stallion Thumper is a grandson, as are many of my broodmares. I also have a Rhoten's Little dandy Daughter and 2 granddaughters.
269185_182529985140717_108007172592999_462601_4403370_n.jpg
This is the filly by my Buckeroo Grandson out of my Rhoten's Little Dandy daughter. She's about 18".

Little King Top Cat is one of Buckeroo's most famous sons, and I have a daughter, granddaughter,and great granddaughter in my herd. The daughter has a gorgeous son that is going to Nationals this year. He's a silver back minimal pinto dun with a blue eye.

Welcome to the fun of the miniature horse world!

Fortunately at this time you can find out so much online regarding the different lines. I remember getting my first Miniature Horse World and Alvadars Double Destiny was like 'WOW'. I've always been a big fan of Buckeroo/Rowdy cross and keep adding those lines back into my herd along with Little Wardance (This year), Uno de Mayo, many of the nice moving Bond line too.

As was mentioned you do have to judge the horse in front of you, but for consistency's sake, if it has a we have no clue pedigree, unless that horse is over the top awesome, I would pass. The consistency in certain lines is what I'm looking for to add into our program.

If you are interested in Falabella check out that association (the majority of pure Falabella breds will state that), otherwise if you're wanting AMHA and/or AMHR I would highly recommend the studbooks for research and the magazines as you'll start seeing the 'look' you like and generally its the same lines again and again. The same for visiting all the websites online.

I have a pedigree I've been babying for eleven years of different Mini lines that I admire including all the past National Champions. Surprisingly many come down from very similar lines with common ancestors, even seven + generations back.

My Buckeroo mare looks so much like Gold Melody Boy in face/head. Her baby's sire is a Falabella, so I will have to research him a bit more. My FWF Blue Boy mare looks so much like him, it's uncanny. The traits of these horses really shine through generations.

While I love looking at pedigrees and researching, I do realize that the value is in the individual. In the AQHA biz, I showed in hunters and did very well -- and my horses were not the hot smoking bloodlines of the time. Not to say they didn't have some decent breeding, but no one would have probably bought them off their papers. But the disposition, conformation and movement/ability that we bred for made my horses valuable in their own right.

The reason I was asking about type is that it seems that there is an Arabian look to many of the minis, so I wondered if that is a trait to strive for. Conformation is definitely key, and I basically picked my first horses based mainly on that criteria. I think I was fortunate that they had some good bloodlines as well, but maybe they were so nice because they did have those good genetics! And -- I have found my minis to be very intelligent. What's not to love?
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back