Question about gelding a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old colt who will be gelding tomorrow. I have never had a mini gelded before and have some questions. He will be gelded in the morning.

1. Should I feed him his breakfast?

2. What should I look for when checking his incision?

3. I heard that he should not be stalled and should be exercised?

4. If exercised how long and how many times per day?

5. Should he be able to eat right after is not how long before I feed him?

6. What should I have on hand for his post operative care?

Anymore advice would be extremely helpful to me. Thanks in advance.

Carlene

There are others who've probably had more experience than me, i'v only had one gelded. We didn't stall him,just let him move at his own pace. I believe he had his regular feedings. Our mini was heavily sedated so you would'nt want him to eat while medicated ,imo. I think main thing is to watch for swelling that doesn't go down. Our gelding did really well, no problems. Hope yours has a speedy recovery
default_smile.png

1. Should I feed him his breakfast? I have never limited feed either before or after a gelding proceedure, and was never told to do so by any vets that performed the castrations.

2. What should I look for when checking his incision? I just keep an eye out for excessive bleeding.

3. I heard that he should not be stalled and should be exercised? I hhave always left them in a pen with their dam(if still nursing) or with a close pasturemate of theirs to help ensure they do not get too wound up about being away from the rest of the herd. You want them to get exercise, but not to run non-stop fretting.

4. If exercised how long and how many times per day? I have never exercised them...I let them take care of it themselves. They are moving almost all the time anyway when outside. The main thing is that they keep moving, and that is why a stall is not recommended, as they do not move around enough.

5. Should he be able to eat right after is not how long before I feed him? See #1.

6. What should I have on hand for his post operative care? I would think a typical first aid kit would do, however, I have never needed to do anything.

Yes to all of what Mona said! And this time of year, you probably don't need to worry about swelling because it's COLD.

Allowing him free movement where he can see his friends........and after about 7 to 10 days I would consider letting him back with all of his friends. Check how he's doing first.

I agree with the other post. I had one gelded about a month ago. The only thing I did different was that I got him out and walked him a lot, because he "felt sorry" for him self and wouldn't move around.

Just going by what we have done with the horses we have had gelded and what our vet has had us do... at that young an age, it should go really smooth and easy for him and you.

1. Should I feed him his breakfast?

We've always been told NOT to give breakfast when they are gelded in the morning.

2. What should I look for when checking his incision?

At his age, you shouldn't need to really worry about anything. Make sure there's not much swelling, but with ones we have gelded that are still young (up to into the yearling year), it's just been totally smooth sailing.

3. I heard that he should not be stalled and should be exercised?

If you have a way to lunge him, that has been what our vet recommends starting that evening or the next morning.

4. If exercised how long and how many times per day?

10 minutes or so a couple times a day, but again, at his age, I bet no issues at all and if he plays on his own with a buddy, that's probably all he will need.

5. Should he be able to eat right after is not how long before I feed him?

Wait a couple of hours if your vet puts him out to do it like ours does. You want him to be fully alert so he pays attention to chewing his feed.

6. What should I have on hand for his post operative care?

All the ones we've had gelded except mature stallions honestly have needed nothing in terms of after care. I think you'll be smiling around noon reflecting on how easy and smooth it went and how he's acting like "nothing" even happened
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jill's post...NO FOOD PRIOR TO GELDING PROCEDURE!!! Both of my guys(full-size horses) that were gelded needed to be lunged twice a day for 10-15 minutes for swelling but other than that, no other care. Just watch that the incision stays fairly clean...it will drip blood and stuff for a few days to a week and by then the swelling should be just about gone too. I was also told NO FOOD for about 2 hours afterwards, because they were both drugged pretty heavily and they would choke if not fully awake while eating. GOOD LUCK!!!
default_saludando.gif

There is no need to withhold food as horses have no gag reflex, thus vomiting is not possible.

So, unless your Vet specifically, for whatever reason, tells you to withhold food, do not, feed as normal.

I never, as in NEVER forcibly exercise any horse after gelding...what on earth would be the reason???

Consider this, you are sitting in your bed, minding your own business, after minor surgery , when in comes some cheery moron who has absolutely nothing wrong with her, and cheerily demands that you get up and run around the hospital corridors with her for ten minutes.

If that were me she would qualify for the bed next to me in two seconds flat...let's see her prance around the flipping corridors after that, shall we??

Unless the horse is absolutely rooted to the spot, in which case you need the Vet back, quickly, there is not, nor has there ever been, any reason to lunge or forcibly exercise.

If for some reason your horse has to be confined to a stall then hand walking three or four times a day, allowing lot's of grazing, is more than adequate, but normal turnout, if possible for 24/7 is also more than adequate.

I'm not sure where this myth about lunging started, maybe back when horses being gelded was a really big deal and they were done around four years old, so it was a shock to the system??

I've had horses gelded at every age for over 45 years and I can assure, there is NO medical reason to lunge.

I honestly think it started because Vets needed to tell anxious owners there was something that they could do, when in all honesty, if it is done properly, no after treatment other than a good hard look every day, is necessary.

Cold hosing is also a myth and actually inhibits the healing process by shoving water into the wound.

Unless the horse is really swollen (and lots of swelling does take place occasionally and is normal) do not bathe at all, and if the horse is abnormally swollen, again, you need the Vet back.

Now all that is worst case scenario so don't panic.

You need nothing but your Vets phone number and pain relief for the horse (insist on it, BTW some Vets do not give it as standard) and valium for yourself.

He will be fine.

You are absolutely doing the right thing!!!

When I geld my guys, I always make sure to have a clean soft dish towel ready. Once the horse starts to go down, I lightly wrap his eyes with the towel to prevent any straw from damaging his eye while he is down.

I've never been told to lunge or work my guys after. I just look out for swelling and keep them in a smaller pen to prevent them from really kicking up their heels for a week or so.

Good luck with your guy.

Well I am happy to report he went through the procedure just fine and my vet said to let nature takes it course by just letting him out in the pasture. He is feeling fine and ate his breakfast after the procedure. She said only use the water to clean him up and watch for excessive swelling and bleeding. So far none noted.

Thanks Carlene

Glad everything went well.
default_wink.png

Its interesting to hear no food before the procedure. I've had a few gelded and never regulated food before. I only held off giving them food for a couple hours after to be sure the sleepiness wore off and they'd be able to eat fine.

Well my little man is doing so good. No swelling at all and very little pain for him. He is so used to me now looking under there that when I lift his leg up he takes it up even higher. Poor little man has no dignity left. LOL

Carlene

Awww! He sounds like a really good boy! You know, if you're like us, you'll just love them all the more now that they've "lightened their load" just a little. My dog vet says it just lets them run a little faster
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
Really, he may not know it, but you gave him the best Christmas gift and will give him a happier more social life from now on -- way to go!!!
love0075.gif

So happy to here hes doing great .I got my charlie done 22nd also hes doing real good I let him out today with his buddy and all is well hes runing playing acting like nothing happen.But most of all he will be much happier now.

Latest posts

Back