Question about colostrum substitutes....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Well, we had a mare not giving us any signs....experienced mare.....not dropped, firm butt, mediocre bag.

She "told" me last night that she was ready but I didn't listen. (stupid me)
default_wacko.png
:

We were greeted with a colt at her side in our "Ladies In Waiting" pasture this morning.....and her still not fully bagged up. We estimate he was about 3 hours old(?)

She is getting oxytocin (and banamine to help with cramping) and we are helping with hand-feeding GOAT colostrum. (We ran out of our own banked horse colostrum).

The vet is coming out this afternoon to run an IGG test and possibley do a Plasma Transfer if needed.....

Question I have is based on what we've been told by various vets.......If no horse colostrum is available -- then either COW or GOAT colostrum is second best.

WHICH IS BETTER???? Goat or Cow colostrum -- if you can choose?

Thanks in advance,

MA

MA I do believe it is goat..I will be sending lots of healing and light your way. HEY, BTW...you always listen to that voice! Silly horse! Use your Reiki for the mare.

Thanks for that, Debs...... We'd been told it was Goat too, but someone else had said it was cow.....

Well, we went with goat colostrum. Mom had a little bit of her own.

Update -- The vet did the IGG test and he said all looked good! :aktion033:

The foal confirmed it by doing a dash around the stall and trying to kick me while I fed him. Mom's milk is looking like it's finally coming in too.

I do believe the scare is over. It's been a long and very stressful day.

MA

Latest posts

Back