Bought foaling book - still have questions (my 1st time)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I bought "The Complete Book of Foaling" that quite a few on here recommended - and I agree it is a very good book. But it is referencing regular size horses as examples - so I still have a few questions for you breeding pros out there
default_smile.png
When you give a Fleet enema to a mini do you use the childrens size or adult size? This book says adult size - but they are speaking about full size horses, and says too much can be toxic. Also there is a lot of scary "if this happens" in this book - good to know but for me a newbie to foaling - scary
default_smile.png
And they show if foal is not in position, etc..... using your hands inside the mare - I do not think you can get your hands inside our miniatures - especially if they are small mini's - what is your thoughts or what have you had to do before if foal is not in correct position to be delivered, or stuck, etc.? My vet is close to our farm - and we have very good relationship with him - so hopefully he will be available to help! Another question - do you give the mare a tetnus shot during her last month or do you/vet give your foal a tetnus shot within their first 12 hours? I've read both ways - any reason in your opionons if one way is better than the other? Anything else you want to share for a newbie to foaling. I have 3 mares that are hopefully going to deliver healthy foals (2 end of April/first part of May; and the other was pasture bred before we purchased her - and looks like she may foal before that!) My one concern is we do have fescue in our pasture - and it is the most abundant grass/hay in this area (Missouri). We pulled the girls off the pasture completely for their last 90 days (of course not sure on the pasture bred mare) per our vet; but some of our hay may have fescue in it also. We do have a poweder colostrum replacer in our foal bag (got it from our vet) in case milk doesn't come in (which is one of the problems with the fescue issue); and we will also have a milk replacer product on hand - also just in case. I'm a worry-wort but I love, love, love these mini's and want to do for them all that is within our power to ensure they are safe and so will be their foals. Any suggestions, ideas, info you can share is much appreciated by all of us newbie foalers!!! Thanks in advance!

Child's enema. But, you almost never need to do this. Most foals eliminate without the need. So, give them a little time. Usually after they are up and nursing, everything starts working
default_wink.png
But, if it needs to be used put it in some warm water first so that it is close to body temp when used, not cold.

I believe most all of us will suggest mares to get their shots about 30 days prior to foaling, then they pass the immunity to foals.

Now, the fescue issue. Does your vet have domperidone on hand in case the mares milk doesn't come in well? Have you also stopped using the hay which may have fescue? That will be as important as taking them off the grazing of it if it is in there. Hay cubes, moistened....or a good timothy hay if you can find it brought in from outside your area.

Hands......Let us hope that you will not need to experience this effort but, yes you can get your hand and arm in there! You proceed gently. BE SURE you have a few tubes of KY Jelly in that kit because you will really want that available. Majority of my herd is small mares, so I have been where "many fear to be" and it can be done but there is very, very little room to manuever. If your mares are small, when they are bagged, call your vet and just put him/her on alert in case you need them. Sometimes just someone on the other end of the phone will boost your confidence, answer your questions.

Look at the pics of the malpositioned birthings and get a visual of what you would be seeing (or not!) if there is a problem. Two little hooves and a NOSE is what you want
default_wub.png
Of those three things, a missing foot is normally the easiest to correct....don't panic. But look at the hooves, if you see a bottom coming out face up, that's not good. Know what you are expecting to see and remember that most foalings are normal and fast. We're talking minutes from bubble to done.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply!!! Thanks for the info on domperidone - didn't know about this - but will call vet today and check it out - sounds like we will want to use that - just in case. Yes the last 60 days - which we are just beginning for at least 2 of our mares we switched to chopped timothy hay (comes in bags here); and I will look for hay cubes also. I have now added to my shopping list to pick up the KY Jelly for our kit! I have studied all the photo's I can find about what the delivery is suppose to look like - and read about what can go wrong; and I read this forum daily and have learned alot on here also. Thanks!

We use a Fleet INFANT size enema if possible, otherwise the children's size.........Once we use it we save the applicator and make our OWN enema, which our vet actually recommends. The homemade enema consists of --- 50 percent warm water, 50 percent mineral oil, and a drop of liquid soap. The applicator can be cleaned and reused several times.

We find that often, once the foal nurses, this encourages it to pass its meconium (first poop).....but if that hasn't occured within the first 3 hours we give the enema. And by this time, if the foal hasn't found mom's teat, we've milked mom several times and hand fed.

It's getting to be joke here about the enema.....which is usually MY job. I wait and then as the 3 hours are almost up, I will go to the house and prepare it. I don't know how many times I've done that and come back to the foaling stall with Larry laughing because the foal passes on its OWN as I walk in!

We have delivered about 250 foals and agree with everything Bess said. KY Jelly is good, but you can get gallon jugs of vet lube or mineral oil, which will serve the same purpose. You might want to have more than one of thoese lubricants on hand. On one or two occassions we've used a gallon of mineral oil in a very difficult situation. Also, using the very thin , disposible gloves that vets use to palpate can assist in avoiding infection and are slipperier than a bare hand. Also, be sure to take off all rings, watches etc. Sometimes you can use just 1 or 2 fingers to pull a leg that's bent back to free up the foal. If you have to go in with your hand(s), do it between contractions. Remember that the mare's pelvic muscles are relaxed to allow the foal to pass, but when she contracts to push the baby out, if your hands are also in there, OUCH!.

A switch to Alfalfa hay or adding alfalfa 60-90 days before foaling is usually recommended to assist with fescue toxicity.

You might want to talk to your vet about the various techniques to slow labor when there is a problem. This can buy you a few minutes until the vet arrives. IKt all sounds scary, but if you plan ahead and don't panic, things will come out ok most of the time. Good Luck.

My vet too, recommends a mild dish soap/warm water enema. I just pour out the solution in the childs/infant size bottle and mix my own. Rarely, though, do I ever have to give an enema. And when I have, it's always been the colts and never fillies. Go figure!

Thanks for the responses! You all have a lot of knowledge on this forum!
default_smile.png

Maryann thank you for the recipe for an enema.

Yours is a bit different from what I have heard.

Joanne,

Thanks......but that was only the mixture a vet suggested to us a number of years ago......What is YOUR mixture? Would be interested to know.

Ma----

Great post, looking forward to lots of helpful advice as I am in the same "newbie to foaling" place!
default_yes.gif

What I have found kind of helpful is looking at Miniature foalings on Youtube!

Good luck with all your foalings!!
default_wub.png

~Tammy

Latest posts

Back