New Baby, but

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]We had our 3rd foal this evening at 7pm....she is fine I think so far...a pretty pinto filly. When this mare was foaling her, the first thing I saw was a small red bag..it came out with the fluid, then the white bag with the filly came correctly and we pulled her out quickly. Have you ever seen a red bag first before the white bag?? We have already had one red bag birth and this seemed simular but that the red bag part was much smaller. The first foal lived 3 days...was this a normal birth or could it also have been a red bag birth???[/SIZE]

Next question...how much can a new born foal see? She seems different and appears to not see very well. She is bumping into the walls of the stall and bumping all over her Moma..plus she doesn't seem to be bothered at all by my hand flashing in front of her eyes...I hope she is better in the morning !

Then she is the tallest foal we have had so far. Her dam is almost 35" and when I help her find the facet, she has to bend her neck over. I hold her stomach and her throat. I can feel the milk going down, but then she can't stand but just a few seconds and crumplies up. I know she will learn to bend herself a certain way to reach the nipples, but so far I haven't seen her doing this by herself and it's been 4, going on 5 hours since she was born. She is also still very wobblie on her legs which would indecate that she hasn't been nursing or something else is wrong(red bag)...

also how long does the mare have colostrum? I know they must nurse at the longest time before 12 hours..this mare is dripping the milk out now. Should I collect some milk from her now...what kind of container should I use to store it and can it be frozen(yes I think it can) and for how long will it last?

Thanks for any comments about my questions. It's just been a very long time since I have had foals with problems. If she is still having problems in the morning we will call the vet out and give her a IgG test. Tomorrow will look brighter I am sure and maybe she is just being a little slow about things...and maybe I am being a little bit more worried about things because of the colt we had who was truely a red bag foal and lived only 3 days!

Again Thanks,

Jenny

I don't really know the answers. Foals do bump into things and are real wobbly at first but should improve. Since from what you're saying, it sounds to me like she's not exactly acting like you think an ordinary foal would, I would highly encourage you to have the IgG test done. The mare may have leaked the colustrom before the filly gets enough. With the IgG, the thing is if you do not get it done at first (and do the transfusion if warranted), by the time you see the foal is having issues, it is often too late.

Good luck! I hope that this morning she is much stronger and more coordinated!!!

I hold her stomach and her throat. I can feel the milk going down, but then she can't stand but just a few seconds and crumplies up.
Sounds like a fainting foal. Do not hold her around the neck or throat as that makes them faint more.

If the mare is dripping that much I would for sure milk her out and syringe it to the foal or milk her and keep it and a vet can tube it in.

I know this post was posted many hours ago so I am hoping she got to nursing.

Definitely get someone out to check that IGG asap

Sending good thoughts

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks for your comments
default_smile.png
The filly is wonderful today and she is bouncing around and is nursing much better...getting the hang of bended her head around and nursing up side down. I still wonder about her eyes, but maybe they are a bit blurry...I FEEL much better about her today though
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

So 3 down and 1 more to go! Maybe two maiden mares later this summer...speaking of summer...where is IT?? It has been one of the rainest May's and June's here in Wyoming in ages so they say...Anyone with sunshine send it our way!!!

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny!

I'm in southwest Wyoming also and I don't think summer is EVER coming!! After living through a Wyoming winter this is just too much! haha!

So glad to hear your new filly is much better today!

I have had 3 red bag foals that I had to cut the red bag and then the white presented itself and the foal came out fine and I did not lose any of them.

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back