Question about bringing a horse's papers permanate with AMHA....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been reading the posts about bringing a horse's papers permanent with AMHA. I hadn't heard that they were going to change the age from 5 yrs to a younger age. I get the Miniature Horse World magazine but I don't remember reading anything about the age changing. When will this take affect with the age change?

Here's my question:

I have a filly that will be 4 yrs old in June. Do I have to send in her papers in June to bring her permanent this year or do I have wait until she turns 5 yrs old next year?

How old do they have to be now to get their permanent papers? AMHR is 3 yrs old. What is AMHA's?

Sorry if I didn't understand all of this. I guess things need to be more clearer for me to understand. Thanks for helping me out.

Becky M.

You won't be able to bring your mare permanent in AMHA until January 1, 2010. Right now, AMHR permanent is 3 years, and AMHA is 5 years. Beginning January 1, 2010 AMHA will be 3 years too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mona for clearing this up for me! This will make things easier when horses turn 3 yrs old and you can send their papers in to both registries to bring them permanent all at once.

Becky M.

So if we have a horse who will be 5 in 2011 do we send in for permanent papers in 2010 as a 4 year old or wait till she's 5 in 2011?
When the rule for registering permanent AMHA horses at 3 years old in January 2010

than from that year on, must be 3 years old to registry your horse permanent just like AMHR

so to answer your question.

I would have to say yes, at 4 years old they must be registered that year 2010

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be able to bring your mare permanent in AMHA until January 1, 2010. Right now, AMHR permanent is 3 years, and AMHA is 5 years. Beginning January 1, 2010 AMHA will be 3 years too.
That clears up a lot for me too except: I have two that will be turning 3 years June of 2010. Can they be brought permanent on, or after their third birthday, or January of their third year? I am used to the racing registries in which they age in January of each year if that made sense. Thank you

That clears up a lot for me too except: I have two that will be turning 3 years June of 2010. Can they be brought permanent on, or after their third birthday, or January of their third year? I am used to the racing registries in which they age in January of each year if that made sense. Thank you
AMHA uses the horse's actual birthdate as the date to bring them permanent.

Back