Question about Blue Roans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt it more accurate to call a horse which has black for a base, a black roan?? I have a black roan, which I was told was a blue roan when I bought her, she has NO white/siler hairs in her mane or tail, just solid black. I have always considered her a black roan. --OHHHH Janie....I need help on the color thing again
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: is this right or wrong??? Corinne
Hi Corrine :bgrin

I agree with you totally! I wish they would just call "Blue" Roans "Black" Roans, which is what they actually are
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: !

I also agree that the registries should "NOT" charge extra to change the color of a horse which is a different color than it is registered as. If the registries did so, then it might encourage people to do so and the end result would be "correct" colors on pedigrees in most cases.
default_yes.gif
:

Well maybe my mare carries Silver too?
default_unsure.png
: Thanks for your input Corrine :bgrin

Jeri

Her grand sire is Royal Star Light Vant Huttenest who is listed as a Blue Roan in AMHA -Sired by Blaeberry Vant Huttenest (unregistered-maybe thats where the shetland comes in?)..........Jeri

Jerri, I just found this and thought you might be interested. "Del Terras Buttons" A03751, 1968, Seal Brown, Black M/T, 32.50, he was the sire of DEL TERAS LORD OF THE ISLES, 1972, and BLAEBERRY VAN'T HUTTENEST, 1968." found on this site: http://customer.unitelc.com/woodstockminis/HISTORICAL.html

with a black and white picture of Buttons
THANKS SANDEE! :aktion033: :bgrin

Now, back to more research! :lol:

Jeri

Isnt it more accurate to call a horse which has black for a base, a black roan?? I have a black roan, which I was told was a blue roan when I bought her, she has NO white/siler hairs in her mane or tail, just solid black. I have always considered her a black roan. --OHHHH Janie....I need help on the color thing again
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: is this right or wrong??? Corinne
"Blue Roan" IS the term commonly used for Black Roan horses. So both are correct. Altho, it is much more discriptive to use the horses actually "base" color when describing.....such as "Black Roan" "Bay Roan" "Chestnut Roan"....etc.

I can personally vouch for Black or Bay Roans being able to have gray manes! (or at least a lot of gray in their manes) My Bay Roan mare's tail is jet black, but her mane has various amounts of gray in it....and sometimes appears to be lighter than her body (when she's in dark winter coat) and other times appears to be much darker than her body (in light summer coat).

Here she is in winter woolies as a yearling

fdf203a0.jpg

Here she is in yearling summer (clipped) coat. You can see her mane is pretty much the same color as her body here.

fdb3e5c3.jpg

Here she is in what I call her "bluecorn" stage. She is shedding from winter coat into spring coat. See how dark her mane looks here!

fb120ae8.jpg

Here she is in late summer of 2004.....look at all that gray hair in her mane!

f2472b46.jpg

And here she is just last spring after foaling Baylee.....her mane looks dark again!
default_wacko.png
:

f264b36c.jpg

Her sire is Little Kings Buck King, who is a Bay Roan Buckeroo son.

fdbe9a8c.jpg

Queen's dam is a solid black Top Banana daughter who has "lacing" on her back.

Just wanted you to see that colors can change A LOT on roans!
default_yes.gif
:

THANKS DONA! I was hoping you would see this topic! :bgrin

The pictures are REALLY HELPFUL! :lol: That is about how much silver/gray is in her mane NOW.But when I saw pictures of her last year in the spring her mane was ALOT darker than it is now! So those changes you showed me really helped me to understand more about the "Roan" stages.

THANKS AGAIN DONA! :aktion033:

Jeri

Royal Light and Blaeberry Star are both registered (Native) Shetlands.

I was not disputing that your mare is Black Roan- I actually think she is, but rather that Orion was, in fact Roan. I think rather he was the colour that for some reason Appy people call roan!!!
default_smile.png
Hi Again Rabbit :saludando:

I know you werent disputing that Jade wasn't a Blue Roan :lol: I am sorry! :bgrin Maybe I didnt word that quite right
default_yes.gif
: .I just wanted you to know a little of her background and see if maybe since you have alot of knowledge maybe you could give me more information about the Shetland side of her pedigree :bgrin .

I really have alot of respect for you and you have alot of knowledge that you readily share with others. There are alot of other very knowledgable breeders on this baord as well and I highly respect them as well.

I know I have learned alot from this board and will continue to learn everyday because you can never stop learning.

I am 43 years old and still have alot to learn :lol: :bgrin

So again, I am sorry Rabbit. :bgrin

Please Forgive Me..
default_wink.png
:

Jeri

Latest posts

Back