Question about Blue Roans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaazeMinis

Reaction score
Haaze Miniatures of Auburndale ,Wisconsin
Hi Everyone

Just added this FYI... My OLD NAME WAS.... JERI(WI)

I changed my user name! :bgrin THANKS M.L.! :aktion033:

Now for my question...

Do Blue Roans always have to have a "Jet" Black Mane & Tail? I have done a Forum Search and have found that some of the ones that were pictured had "Jet" Black Man & Tails while numerous others had "Silver" Looking Hairs in their Manes & Tails. All the ones I saw on the topics were Blue Roans for sure, but the difference in their manes and tails were different.

So, can they have to have a "Jet" Black Mane and Tail to be a Blue Roan or can they have "Silverish" looking manes and tails and still be a Blue Roan?
default_unsure.png
: Oh and when you clip their face and legs when they are in their winter coat does their color take a few days to come in Jet black again?

The reaon I ask is I just aquired a 6 year old Blue Roan Mare ( I believe she is Blue Roan) and she is registered as such. Her dam is a Blue Roan as is her Grand Sire (Royal Star Light vant Huttenest). She has no appy breeding in her at all. Her muzzle and around her eyes is Jet Black with no white hairs around her eyes or muzzle but the thing that throws me is she has some silver looking hairs in her mane
default_unsure.png
: .

Anyway, I will come back and edit my post with a Baby Picture of her and I will also try to load a winter fuzzy pic of her before clipping. I just have to upload them onto photo bucket . Then I will load up a picture of her after clipping her head and neck. But, thought I would ask the question first. :bgrin

Well off to PhotoBucket now for uploading the pictures.

Oh and pictures of Blue Roans would be nice to see in both winter and summer coats. :bgrin

EDITED TO ADD THE PICTURES

JadesEasterLillyBabyPic.jpg

Jadeleft2.jpg

Jaderight.jpg

Thanks Everyone In Advance! :bgrin

Jeri

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FMI (for my information), what was your name here before you had it changed? It's tough to keep names straight sometimes.
default_yes.gif
:

shes definately a blue roan. my blue roan also has a couple stray white hairs in her mane

YAHOO! :aktion033:

Thanks Kay Kay! Her mane is very silvery looking but has alot of black in it as well...So, since I have never actually owned a Blue Roan before (did research on them though) I was wondering if they could have a mixed mane and tail instead of one that is solid color! What a relief! Phew! :bgrin She is registered Blue Roan with a mixed Mane and Tail.....

Thanks Again Kay Kay! :bgrin

Jeri

she also looks to be a minimal pinto so that could be where some of its coming from too
default_smile.png

she also looks to be a minimal pinto so that could be where some of its coming from too
default_smile.png
Oh I didnt think of that! Yes she is a Minimal Pinto. I havent checked the underside of her for any belly white and all that long fuzzy hair hanging under there form her being outside 24/7 Its so hard to tell, but when I clipped her bridle path /head & neck last night I was thrilled with her neck and how well proportained she really is. :bgrin .She is 32.50 " so its hard to bend that far down...lol! I was told she was 33", but when I got her here and sticked her she is 33.50" that was a first..lol! usually they turn out taller or grow while they are in the trailer... :bgrin

I cant wait to see what lies underneath the rest of that hair and its way to early to clip here in WI , but I figured since is now inside at night and bad weather and I do have blankets with hoods it would be safe to clip her head and neck.

Now watch, a big storm will come through and jinx me! :new_shocked:

Jeri

Definately blue roan. I would suspect that she is a minimal tobiano and would be surprized if you found anything on her belly. She very well could have the silver gene that would account for the silver in the mane.

..................The reaon I ask is I just aquired a 6 year old Blue Roan Mare ( I believe she is Blue Roan) and she is registered as such. Her dam is a Blue Roan as is her Grand Sire (Royal Star Light vant Huttenest). She has no appy breeding in her at all. Her muzzle and around her eyes is Jet Black with no white hairs around her ......................

Jeri
I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I just want to point out that your statement about not having appy is not entirely true. I'm sure you know that with "vant Huttenest" in the background there is appy. Orion was a terrific looking blue roan pintaloosa.

..................The reaon I ask is I just aquired a 6 year old Blue Roan Mare ( I believe she is Blue Roan) and she is registered as such. Her dam is a Blue Roan as is her Grand Sire (Royal Star Light vant Huttenest). She has no appy breeding in her at all. Her muzzle and around her eyes is Jet Black with no white hairs around her ......................

Jeri
I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I just want to point out that your statement about not having appy is not entirely true. I'm sure you know that with "vant Huttenest" in the background there is appy. Orion was a terrific looking blue roan pintaloosa.
Hi Sandee

She does NOT have Orion in her pedigree :bgrin , so no she does not have Pintaloosa. She is Vant Huttenest bred but no Orion. :bgrin

Jeri

Sorry, I assumed and we all know that joke. The blue roan and all makes her look like Orion. She's very pretty.

Sorry, I assumed and we all know that joke. The blue roan and all makes her look like Orion. She's very pretty.
Thanks for the compliment! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: I wish the sun was shining now and I could take a couple of pictures of her since I clipped her head and neck!

Those wooley pictures were taken by her previous owner a couple of weeks ago.... She told me she was exposed (First Foal) but didnt know if she was In-Foal or not and when I saw those pictures as as well as a couple of others I thought ...Geesh Ya Think! :new_shocked:

She is HUGE and Pointy.. :lol: If there isn't a baby in there I would be quite suprised.

I will be watching her closely for movement and bag developement but she problably wont be due until Mid April or Very Early May :bgrin . Assuming she took the first heat after being put in with the stallion on May 29th, 2005.

Jeri

The four blue roans that I currently own all have some white hairs in the their manes and tails, but mine all are also appaloosa, so I didn't know if those white hairs were attributable to the appaloosa, or the roan (or both). Good to know!

The main thing to remember for those not familiar with blue roans, is that a roan's head will be darker than their body. So many grays are called "blue roans" by people who just don't know, but if the horse is a gray, the head will be the same color as the body. The lower legs tend to go gray later, so you can't rely on what those look like.

Haazeminis, I can't wait to see your blue roan filly clipped. But then again, I can wait-- don't want her FREEZING! She's a cutie!

As far as i know Orion was not actually a "blue " Roan- nor a Roan of any kind. He was a near Leopard Pintaloosa that the AMHA called "blue " Roan!!

Van't Huttenest was a Shetland stud name(real Shetlands from the Netherlands) long before it became synonymous with Orion- I am not sure Mark actually bred any Appies other than the Orion line, and he is not accredited as the breeder of Orion- go figure
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks Magic! :bgrin I know I am just itching to clip her the rest of the way. It took all I had last night to stop at her neck :new_shocked: .

She has a BEAUTIFUL NECK! I was very surprised because with all that mane she had overgrown on her bridle path it made her look like she had a shorter neck than what she actually has. :bgrin and her head is nicer than it appeared as well. I do have heavy blankets here with hoods, but I dont dare do that....YET... !
default_yes.gif
:

I am sure ready for SPRING!
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Jeri

hi jeri! i have 2 blue roan pintos and both have white hairs mixed in the black in their manes. no silver in the background. its a mixture of the hairs in the mane just like on their body. blue roans are my favorite!

jennifer :saludando:

Hi Rabbit

Her grand sire is Royal Star Light Vant Huttenest who is listed as a Blue Roan in AMHA -Sired by Blaeberry Vant Huttenest (unregistered-maybe thats where the shetland comes in?)and out of Neille Vant Huttenest who is also listed as a Blue Roan. So, I am assuming Jade is a Blue Roan.
default_yes.gif
: IF the colors are correct that is. :lol:

Her head is Black and her legs are Black to and she is 6 this year so i really dont see her changing much. I am going to be contacting Jades breeder to see if I can get a photo of her Sire and I have already seen a photo of her Dam and her dam was a Blue Roan as well.

I have also researched Royal Star Light Vant Huttenest's Get and he has sired alot of Blue Roans judging by the photos I have found of them.

Its very interesting to find out that Vant Huttenest horses started as shetlands. That is surprising that Mark is not the accredited breeder of Orion. Very interesting.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the Information Rabbit! :bgrin

Jeri

As far as i know Orion was not actually a "blue " Roan- nor a Roan of any kind. He was a near Leopard Pintaloosa that the AMHA called "blue " Roan!!

Van't Huttenest was a Shetland stud name(real Shetlands from the Netherlands) long before it became synonymous with Orion- I am not sure Mark actually bred any Appies other than the Orion line, and he is not accredited as the breeder of Orion- go figure
default_rolleyes.gif
:

hi jeri! i have 2 blue roan pintos and both have white hairs mixed in the black in their manes. no silver in the background. its a mixture of the hairs in the mane just like on their body. blue roans are my favorite!

jennifer :saludando:
Hi Jennifer

Thanks! It is a relief to hear they dont have to have a Jet Black Mane & Tail! Blue Roans are also one of my favorite colors too! I have always wanted one, but never thought I could afford to get one and a Pinto to Boot. It is great! The best thing is she is a TRADE...So no money out of my pocket :bgrin . So I jumped at the chance to get her. :bgrin

I am very happy with her and she is so sweet too! Clipped her with NO HALTER or anything and she just stood there and loved every minute of clipping and brushing! :bgrin

Jeri

Royal Light and Blaeberry Star are both registered (Native) Shetlands.

I was not disputing that your mare is Black Roan- I actually think she is, but rather that Orion was, in fact Roan. I think rather he was the colour that for some reason Appy people call roan!!!
default_smile.png

Her grand sire is Royal Star Light Vant Huttenest who is listed as a Blue Roan in AMHA -Sired by Blaeberry Vant Huttenest (unregistered-maybe thats where the shetland comes in?)..........Jeri

Jerri, I just found this and thought you might be interested. "Del Terras Buttons" A03751, 1968, Seal Brown, Black M/T, 32.50, he was the sire of DEL TERAS LORD OF THE ISLES, 1972, and BLAEBERRY VAN'T HUTTENEST, 1968." found on this site: http://customer.unitelc.com/woodstockminis/HISTORICAL.html

with a black and white picture of Buttons

Isnt it more accurate to call a horse which has black for a base, a black roan?? I have a black roan, which I was told was a blue roan when I bought her, she has NO white/siler hairs in her mane or tail, just solid black. I have always considered her a black roan. --OHHHH Janie....I need help on the color thing again
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: is this right or wrong??? Corinne

Latest posts

Back