Pygmy Horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband found it and had me watch this the other night. I didn't hear anything else, just looked and said nice...looked like a mini horse about my mare's size going over jump. It was on animal planet that we saw it.

Googled and this is what I found:

Pygmy Horse – Because of the constant infighting among the Miniature Horse breeders about what constitutes a “correct†miniature horse, some organization have used other names for the tiny ponies. The Guide Horse Foundation uses the term Pygmy Horse to appease show breeders who resented less-than-show quality horses being labeled as “Miniature Horses†when used a Guide Horses.

According to the dictionary I have pygmy means:something small for its kind. Guess it could be all in how one sees things.

Ahhh.... Well that explains it
default_smile.png

Besides, I was thinking...miniature horse to me says it is a horse, looks like a horse, but is small...

Pygmy says to me...pot bellied, stick like legs etc...dwarfy...Who would want to promote that?

My whole new program is based on horses under 30" so I suppose they could all technically be "pygmy" horses =)

I too just made a new addition of a 27" Sweetwaters mare, direct daughter of Dippers Duffy! I had been trying to find a Sweetwaters website too, at least now I know what happened!

I googled pygmy horse and also got breeders advertising for micro minis...

here is what one site said:

Please take the time to view our site, where you will find miniature appaloosas, pintos and micro-minis with pedigrees that carry the bloodlines that have been the mainstay of the miniature horse world.
Just what is a micro mini???? What size is it???? People trying to find a way to market the miniature horse to non-experienced mini owners...not a good idea in my opinion.

I've seen that before on a few websites, they consider any ADULT miniature of correct conformation, under 30", to be a micro-mini. It's just a term that someone made up and it caught on with a few farms =)

Next thing you know people will be trying to breed minis the size of chichuauas (sp?) ...

Seriously though, at what point should we just call it a draw and say "this is as small as we're going to get." If you go too small, it's inevitable you'll have problems.

I wonder if the registries have considered minimum height?

If a dog can be bred as tall as 38-42" such as great danes, or as small as chihuahua's, with all sizes in between, and have no health issues, have equal body proportions, equal sized insides, equal sized teeth, etc...what makes you think horses cannot be bred the same?

Not saying I want a chihuahua sized mini...but why would you doubt it? Sure, dwarves happen with large insides, large teeth and unproportional bodies...but for those who are in a lifetime of breeding for small, and who are doing that successfully, they're all proving what you just said wrong. They're already successful as small as 25", healthy, proportionate, and breeding sound with no issues whatsoever.

Don't forget, a miniature is classified as being 38" or SMALLER...not 38" to X"...so please don't disrespect people who breed specifically for the "or smaller" part of miniatures =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting!! Micro minis, pygmy minis, shetland minis, arabian minis etc. etc. and yet not specific registrys for each of them. It is all words to promote what is being sold and yet they truly are nothing more or less than American Miniature Horses! I happen to like my American Miniature Horses and I will continue to call them that. Until they can be registered as Micro Minis, Pygmy Minis, Shetland Minis, Arabian Minis, I think we should be honest and call them what they are, with pride. JMHO Mary

My mom says the same thing about the dog world, except for breeds that have a giant, words like miniature, and toy are just an added label to get people to buy. A Pomeranian is a Pomeranian. Some are smaller some are larger, but it is still a pom. I do realize in some breeds there is an obvious size difference. The miniature collie is half the size of the Collie...etc.

Interesting!! Micro minis, pygmy minis, shetland minis, arabian minis etc. etc. and yet not specific registrys for each of them. It is all words to promote what is being sold and yet they truly are nothing more or less than American Miniature Horses! I happen to like my American Miniature Horses and I will continue to call them that. Until they can be registered as Micro Minis, Pygmy Minis, Shetland Minis, Arabian Minis, I think we should be honest and call them what they are, with pride. JMHO Mary
Very well said! To me, a miniature horse is a miniature horse. Whether 38" or 25" they're still a miniature version of a horse =)

humhill - no disrespect here, I was just pointing out in case someone did take offense =)

Shetland's can be Mini's. Shetland is a Breed, Mini is a registry
default_yes.gif
:

Pinto >>>>>>> Pin-tat-toe

Overo>>>>>>>OH-vat--OH

I love word games.

I sure do love them l'il horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a dog can be bred as tall as 38-42" such as great Danes, or as small as Chihuahua's, with all sizes in between, and have no health issues, have equal body proportions, equal sized insides, equal sized teeth, etc...what makes you think horses cannot be bred the same?

The problem is these breeds have HUGE health issues, so really it is not a good example.

As we breed smaller we will have the same problems as with dogs.

Extremes of any sort causes problems

If a dog can be bred as tall as 38-42" such as great Danes, or as small as Chihuahua's, with all sizes in between, and have no health issues, have equal body proportions, equal sized insides, equal sized teeth, etc...what makes you think horses cannot be bred the same?

The problem is these breeds have HUGE health issues, so really it is not a good example.

As we breed smaller we will have the same problems as with dogs.

Extremes of any sort causes problems

Well said - I do breed Shih Tzu on a limited scale ( 1 litter a year) and am very involved in showing for breed, obedience and soon agility! Time and time again I see dogs advertised as teacup, miniature and imperial shih tzu and it just drives me insane - people buy and pay large sums of money for dogs that they think are special when they are actually buying a dog that is not even breed standard - in the past these were called the runts of the litter and usually weaker dogs with health problems - that hasn't changed today just the marketing!

I use to limit the registration but now with so many bogus registries (ie NAPDR for North American Pure Bred Dog Registry where all you have to do is say your dog is purebred and state you will only breed purebred dogs) springing up if I feel the puppy is pet quality I will keep them until they are old enough to spay/neuter, then spay/neuter prior to selling or placing in a pet home- unless I know the person very well or they have great references (Vet,etc which I do check).

I would never buy from a breeder that used those terms or told me they bred for smaller dogs (below breed standard)- extra small puppies do happen but they should not be the goal of a reputable dog breeder- also they do need special attention and care that a new dog owner may not be equipped or knowledgeable enough to care for - just IMO

edited to add even keeping to breed standard does not ensure no health issues that are inherent in the breed - that's why any genetic testing should be used also

Last I knew Charles Penland (owner of Sweetwater)was in prison on drug traffic and Sweetwater Farm is out of business- they did have some lovely horses (because he bought up alot of really nice horses all over the country!) I have a Sweetwater mare and I just love her!
Yes....a lot of nice horses did come from Sweetwater. But anytime you have "thousands" of minis, you of course, are bound to get a certain amount of really nice individuals. Their problem was, they bred indescriminately. Ran several different stallions together in with herds of mares. When someone wanted to buy a foal, they would ask "who do you want the sire to be?" :eek: You could never trust the paperwork (bloodlines) on any horses that were bred there. Altho, in later years...he may have DNA'd...not sure if he got out before that was required or not.

I remember well.....15 - 20 years ago.....often seeing ads in the MHW & Journal for lots of Sweetwater foals being sold at $100. Talk about "puppy mill"! :no:

I remember hearing things about Charles Penland. And then my antennae went up when at an AMHA Annual Meeting (obviously a number of years ago) the subject of DNA-ing our horses was being brought to a vote. Mr. Penland was adamantly opposed to it!

The terms "micro-mini" and "pygmy horses" are silly and often mislead the public. I am constantly dealing with folks who come looking for them and then having to explain what a MINIATURE HORSE is.

We do, however, call our double registered AMHR Shetlands "miniature shetlands" while explaining that we have full-blood Shetlands that are also registered with the AMHR because of their height.........THEN we have to explain that both miniature horse registries are a HEIGHT registry.

MA

Latest posts

Back