Purchase Justification

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
Please don't flame me for this, but the stories on the economy being so bad that horses are a dime a dozen doesn't make sense to me. I have kept my eyes on a pony breeder and keep in touch with them regularly about certain horses I would die to have. However, knowing they are $5,000 to start has kept me from jumping on in cause I don't have that kind of money. This cost is up to two year olds and then it goes through the roof, up to $20,000 for a fully trained and show record holding animal. They are selling like hotcakes and are importing like crazy. Their prices aren't coming down, at all.

Can I justify that kind of money for one pleasure animal (possible show) when there are so many more out there that need a home, despite what my dream is. I love my mini's but I am heavily leaning on something a little bigger, but not huge, like a Fell, Welsh, or Haflinger. My mini's are with me for life, but because of the cancer, my dreams are becoming more important, kinda like a bucket list of sorts. I thought having my babies coming home at Christmas was going to be my cure after boarding for six years, but that dream is still knocking at my heart for a larger pony that I can drive or ride. Hubby could care less about horses and won't help unless begged and he doesn't want to spend the money, he's tried setting up a savings account for me three years ago, but it has since been depleted multiple times, or I would have it by now.

Am I being selfish? He loves poker and racing and did both alot before, but has not done anything this past year to make my dream come true and built by pasture and barn for me. I can't buy him his "eleanor" mustang and hope I will get to see the race car race again.

I am the typical horse crazy girl that grew up with none around me. When I was 18, I began helping at a theraputeic riding center and learned alot about horses and did all I could to be around them. When I got married, hubby got me the mini cause it needed a rescue home, but it wasn't what I was wanting, but it partially filled the hole. When I could do shows, parades, and drive I was in heaven and loved it but was always alone since he didn't share the passion. I had to make other friends to help and enjoy. Now that my mini can't do anything any more due to ringbone, I got a donkey to play with, but honestly, I am not getting anywhere with him, so I am now itching for something, maybe the horse I always wanted but never got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of questions here that only you can answer The questions about your hubby only you and he can answer.

I will say though that I have seen and offerred a lot of great ponies for way less then that price. Not sure what kind of pony you are looking at but maybe you should check out some American Shetland Pony farms
default_smile.png

Good luck whatever you decide!

Kay

I'll chime in here. I can not speak for you, but I will speak from my own personal opinion/experience.

One, no material possesion, even a living posession, will fill the void if something more important is missing from your life.

Two, regardless of what the circumstances are in your life, make sure when you commit to buying/adopting a living thing, it is what you really want. It is a commitment, not a whim. It doesn't matter if you can find it low cost, free, or must pay top dollar, just make sure it is what you want. You can't always have everything you want, where would you put it? So make sure you plan and think things through, regardless of the price.

Three, there is no need to complicate things by living beyond your means. If payments can be made that fit your budget, fine. If not, then save. There is no shame in wanting a high end horse, wether it be at a great price, or the asking price. If it is important enough you will find a way to save the money or create a way to generate money that you can save.

I don't need another horse, but I am strategically saving for a very special purchase, hopefully it will happen this year, maybe not until later this year, maybe, depending on circumstances, not until next year. I will not go into debt over it, and I will not spread myself or my finances thin over it. It will happen all in good time.

Just my own personal logic.

Carolyn

The way I feel about it, it is SO much work to have horses and plenty of money to maintain them. I feel you should allow yourself to choose and own the horses that you will most enjoy.

Yes the economy is bad and yes there are a lot of horses being dumped and just let go. But, most of the time these are the poor quality horses.

Horses that are quality bred and highly skilled are still selling and still getting their price. When I bred Morgans, we went through tough times in that breed too, but still many were selling int the $100,000 plus range. The ones that were under $10,000 were just not selling. Too many middle of the road breeders.

A quality horse is still going to sell in a bad market.

Also, even though some are having a hard time financially, there are still many people out there who are not struggling.

2008 was one of my best years for selling my Minis and I am still selling my puppies where I get anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 for them.

Not sure what kind of pony you are looking at, but if it's the bloodlines that is making you look at the farm, do some shopping around. You might find other farms who have relatives to that farm's horses for less money.

The other questions you have regarding you and your husband are something you have to look inside your heart about. No one can answer them for you, IMO.

I know what you mean about enjoying the ones you have, but having an eye out for the dream horse. I do not know what my dream horse is, yet, but if I see him it would be hard to let the dream pass me by.

But, I can't be sure there isn't another dream beyond that! So I am working with the ones I have, trying to make them the best they can be. Maybe THAT is really my dream.

It might be worth putting out a message on the sale board looking for a horse from that farm.

You might find one in need of a new home that might meet your needs for less money.

Just something to consider.

Granted usually the more money you have to spend the more quality horses you will find but don't be fooled into thinking that money always equals the better horse. There are plenty of nice horses out there at anyone's price bracket. I know a National Halter Champion from 4-5 years ago that was bought for $300 at a run of the mill auction. No those types of horse and deals are not plentiful and require patience and a very good eye but it is mearly an illustration.

As far as what is and is not justifiable, well that differs from house to house and can only be truly answered by you.

default_wub.png
I have always felt that my spouse enjoys my minis and he sure loves to imprint the foals, but that being said, his love is hunting & fishing and I think in order for a marriage to stay strong you need to have your own interests. If they are the same thats really great and a huge bonus but I would never push my minis on hubby if he had no interest in them or go in debt for one. ( I am talking BIG debt) I have admired many pretty's from afar & who knows may add some more at a later time but my obligation is to what I have now and to make sure they have a healthy life including any unborn foals. I think our economy will get better and am prepared to hang on to my minis and ride it out
default_wink.png

I put the info about hubby to question at what line do I become too self involved and get selfish? I admit that the horses take up more time and effort, but his hobbies cost more and limit our time available too. It's hard to explain, I love him more than anything and since the cancer, he has tried to make me happy and let me do what I want. At what point is it a slap in the face to say, "thanks but it's not quite what I wanted"? I wanted a horse, got a mini (no offense), so i am still waiting on that horse.

I want a Fell pony really bad. I would prefer a black or a dapple grey one that I can play with, but their rarity keeps their price up. Seems childish to say this, as you don't pick a horse by their color, but I love solid black, I love feathers, and they are shorter than big horses, ie Friesians or Percherons. They seem to be very versatile and are hefty enough to carry adults no problem. Gypsy Vanners are great too, but their prices aren't any cheaper and very few pintos make me drool.

At what point should I be happy with what I have and let dreams go? I truly believe everything happens for a reason and that God is in control of every thing, even as a type now, that's why I am so upset, cause I don't know what is too much to ask for.

Sorry I ramble, treatments do that to you.

Hi Misty. Maybe you can consider the best of both worlds. If you want to buy your dream horse, buy him~ and then maybe you would like to be a foster home for CMHR too!

Latest posts

Back