Pumpkins and flowers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I think I can say "Not bad for someone that has no greenthumb skills, can't I? Update on my pumkin plants and the Impatience that my chickens tore into...... Well the bunny decided not to come around anymore after the girls (pups) chased him away a few times and I strategically placed a few doggie plops "outside" of the fenceline. :bgrin :aktion033: The leaves are HUGE!!! I got some squash in there too. But no flowers yet to indicate any pumpkins..... Anyone know how long I will have to wait? (Pumpkin plants are in the background of the wooden barrel.)

e8527edd.jpg

e8527f56.jpg

e8527fb2.jpg

The Impatience that my chickens pruned and left without any blooms a few weeks ago are so bushy and soooo many flowers on them! Glad I asked you guys before I threw the plant out, I was so disappointed thinking it was a goner, but nope...it came back with a vengence!

e852800f.jpg

And a beautiful butterfly bush my Mom gave me a couple of years ago...this year is the first year we did'nt re-transplant it to a new location and it's doing wonderfully. I have no idea what it's called tho!
default_wacko.png
: It's tall on long spears.

e8527830.jpg

Beautiful!!!! I don't know anything about pumpkins (as far as how they grow) but your flowers are pretty and I look forward to seeing how it looks when the pumpkins start to grow
default_yes.gif
:

When did you plant your pumpkins?

We planted ours in May in a pile of composted "mini manure" and the plants and pumpkins BOTH are HUGE.

I work hard to keep picking those flowers off and restricting the pumpkin 'babies" so that the ones that were there would have a chance to get large and WOW is it working.

My grandson is thrilled and there are so many that we may have to set him up in the yard with a sign and let him earn a bit of pocket change!

I planted my pumpkins at the end of May, and they are just starting to flower. Yours look great and I expect they will flower soon. Remember that pumpkins like regular watering. I am watering every day now that it is hot.

Your flowers look beautiful
default_yes.gif
:

Lynne

I think I can say "Not bad for someone that has no greenthumb skills, can't I? Update on my pumkin plants and the Impatience that my chickens tore into...... Well the bunny decided not to come around anymore after the girls (pups) chased him away a few times and I strategically placed a few doggie plops "outside" of the fenceline. :bgrin :aktion033: The leaves are HUGE!!! I got some squash in there too. But no flowers yet to indicate any pumpkins..... Anyone know how long I will have to wait? (Pumpkin plants are in the background of the wooden barrel.)

e8527edd.jpg

e8527f56.jpg

e8527fb2.jpg

The Impatience that my chickens pruned and left without any blooms a few weeks ago are so bushy and soooo many flowers on them! Glad I asked you guys before I threw the plant out, I was so disappointed thinking it was a goner, but nope...it came back with a vengence!

e852800f.jpg

And a beautiful butterfly bush my Mom gave me a couple of years ago...this year is the first year we did'nt re-transplant it to a new location and it's doing wonderfully. I have no idea what it's called tho!
default_wacko.png
: It's tall on long spears.

e8527830.jpg
That last flower is phlox.............it smells wonderful is very hardy can spread like crazy
default_rolleyes.gif
: and butterflies and humming birds LOVE it.

My gourds are just now getting flowers, and from the looks of your pumpkins they should begin flowering anytime.

Impatients tolerate and get bushier with heavy pruning, they also like some shade in the heat of the day.....

Looks great and you just may have a green thumb
default_wink.png
:

OH WOW!!!! The pumpkins look GREAT!!!!!! I just had my first flower bloom open yesterday so yours should be starting any day now. :aktion033: Today there were four more flowers but where all male flowers so I am impatiently waiting for the females to make their appearance. My vines are traveling everywhere. I had to "redirect" some as they were heading towards the tomato garden.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I will takes pics of mine and post tomorrow evening.
default_yes.gif
: So I guess we could say that our "little" "competition" has begun. Right?
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Your flowers are also beautiful. Love the color!!!

Linda :saludando:

Roxy's Run Miniatures

Thanks you guys! I'm glad you enjoyed seeing pics of the flowers!

Jill-- I can't wait to get them pumkins growing either!! I've waited sooo long to have a real pumpkin patch! Every year I try my hand at it but it's never progressed...this year has been different. I just hope they continue to do well!

Anne-- If I remember correctly I planted them towards the end of June? Linda (Roxy's Run) could probably give me a better guesstimate...she sent me the seeds! :bgrin

Lynne -- I've been watching the water and making sure they get plenty of it! Thanks for the heads up.....since it did'nt rain today I'll be out there in the morning watering them.
default_yes.gif
:

runamuk-- YES!!! The Phlox smells so fragrant! I did'nt know it was a Phlox, altho the flower kinda struck me as that. I thought Phlox only grew on little tiny plants close to the ground. These are about 4 ft. high or more. Towards the end of summer if I'm successful with the pumpkins then I'll rethink the greenthumb thingie and let ya know! That would be exciting to consider myself a beginner greenthumb! LOL !!! :bgrin

Linda-- You're ON girlfriend!!!! This is gonna be GOOD!!! LOL..... There are runners coming from some of the plants...but no flowers yet. I've learned so much about pumpkins in this short time that I've planted them. Such as I did'nt know there were male and female flowers! The female flowers are the ones that come with the little knot (which is a pumpkin forming) just below the yellow flower...

Last edited by a moderator:
That type of phlox (4'tall stuff) grows wild here (in pink and white) and I grew up with it, only recently did I discover the little carpet phlox :bgrin :bgrin and the other hybrid varieties of garden phlox.

Latest posts

Back