Hows everyone's Gardens doing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AngC, what are cippollinis?
Cipollini are a somewhat small (perhaps 3-inch diameter) flat onion. I've found them in a red color and a white color. Onions/scallions/shallots are really easy to grow in our area, so I like to try the varieties that are expensive, in the store. To be honest, I don't understand why some types are more expensive than others. They're all as easy to grow, in my opinion. And quite frankly, they all taste similar.

Well, learn something new everyday.
default_smile.png
I suspect the price goes up based on how many pounds per acre they produce. Smaller onions = less profit per acre unless you charge more and so fewer growers plant them making them rare and more expensive.

Thanks for answering my question

I got my first ears of corn today, we will eat them with dinner along with green beans. I'v canned over 45 jars of beans, so hubby just took five 5 lb. bags up to the local country store to sell, and some to a couple of friends. Plants are still producing. I picked out my show pumpkin this morning and picked it as I don't want the squash bugs to damage the skin before I take it to the fair. Actually I'm finally finished canning for this year I actually only have a few empty jars left and I am saving them for corn.

I got my first ears of corn today, we will eat them with dinner along with green beans. I'v canned over 45 jars of beans, so hubby just took five 5 lb. bags up to the local country store to sell, and some to a couple of friends. Plants are still producing. I picked out my show pumpkin this morning and picked it as I don't want the squash bugs to damage the skin before I take it to the fair. Actually I'm finally finished canning for this year I actually only have a few empty jars left and I am saving them for corn.
Love to see a picture of your show pumpkin. Do you know the variety?

I had a plant come up volunteer this year and it produced two small pumpkins. Not sure of the variety, of course, but they are pretty. I may take one to the fair, just to add more competition.

My best crop producing right now is Big Jim chilis. The yard longs are still going, too. Haven't checked under the sweet potato yet.

It was a pie pumpkin, I decided against taking it to the fair as one side started to get soft. Our pumpkins didn't do as well as I hoped they would. I picked most of the corn yesterday, there are a few ears left that are too small to pick.The pepper plants are just about all that is left to finish harvesting.

We had our first hard frost last night so my greenhouse is done. I knew it was coming and picked a 5 gallon bucket full of green tomatoes before it happened. Most of them will ripen and then I'll turn them into sauce (those we don't eat raw that is
default_smile.png
) I don't know yet what I'll do with the ones that stay green. Soon it will be time to harvest my brussels sprouts too and then I'll be done with the garden for this season.

Just getting the Garden Beds ready to plant out the following weekend.

Winter is just about done and the sun has finally appeared after months.

So far I have decided on planting cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, Snow peas, spring onions, lettuce, strawberries

Ill even dedicate I garden bed to herbs this year.

I have only planted summer vegies the last 2 years at home but I hope to plant some winter vegies this coming 2015 winter.

We're having a cool spell now and nights may drop into high 40's. I have some broccoli and kale planted that should enjoy this weather. Haven't dug up the sweet potatoes yet. The black eyed peas and yard longs are still blooming, but don't know if the blooms will set now. We should have two more months before freeze, but who can ever tell??

Good luck with your garden, Ryan. The best herb for success for me is oregano, but the cilantro did very well also.

Well, mine is finished. I picked most of the tomatoes yesterday, and finished them today--we are supposed to have several degrees of frost tonight, and there was no point in covering stuff. They are forecasting 26F for tonight, so that could mean more like 21F here--things might freeze even if covered. All I have left to get out of the garden are a few hills of potatoes, a few leeks, and some carrots.

Your all making me hungry reading everything you have been harvesting
default_smile.png

Thanks Marsha, Im still fairly new at it but I enjoy it and seem to learn a few new things each year
default_smile.png
I love Cilantro tho I think we call it coriander here.

Your all making me hungry reading everything you have been harvesting
default_smile.png

Thanks Marsha, Im still fairly new at it but I enjoy it and seem to learn a few new things each year
default_smile.png
I love Cilantro tho I think we call it coriander here.
I think, here, the leaves of the plant are called cilantro and its seeds are called coriander. I only picked the leaves and didn't bother with the seeds.

I don't have a garden, since I have a black thumb, but my MIL finished off her garden before the bad cold snap the other morning. She had planted 3 different types of tomatoes, she got a heaping laundry basket full of two types (Roma and I think Beefeater) and a large wash basin full of the third type (grape tomatoes I think). She froze all her corn, don't recall how much she said she had. Her cucumbers were already pretty much done, did her carrots last week I think it was.

I thought I would post about a recent experience I had.

I try to remember to wear gloves while gardening. I like to use the disposable gloves as they are more tactile than bulky gloves. But sometimes I just dive into the dirt and don't bother. Last week I was pruning iris, pulling dead vegetable plants, planting some fall vegetables, and having a great time tidying.

The next day my finger was sore. By night, it was swollen and throbbing. I soaked it in Betadine twice a day, Neosporin afterward. By Sunday it was really painful and swollen. I decided I was off to the doctor on Monday if it didn't improve overnight. The next morning it was better, thank goodness. I've been treating it twice a day and it's still improving.

I've heard of such a thing happening, but this is a first for me. It was around the cuticle of the fingernail.

Just a heads up for those of you play in the dirt.

btw, what would be better than the Betadine/Neosponin treatment??

Have any idea what caused it? Only other thing I can think of to do would be a soak in epsom salt water.

I went out yesterday and picked some romas and made beans with tomatoe sauce for dinner. I'm going out and pick some more this morning and make beef veggie soup. Sweet peppers are abundant and I need to pick and freeze some more before they rot. Not much else left out there, pretty soon it will be turned under.

Have any idea what caused it? Only other thing I can think of to do would be a soak in epsom salt water.

I went out yesterday and picked some romas and made beans with tomatoe sauce for dinner. I'm going out and pick some more this morning and make beef veggie soup. Sweet peppers are abundant and I need to pick and freeze some more before they rot. Not much else left out there, pretty soon it will be turned under.
Just some bacteria in the dirt, I suppose. Who knows? I thought of epsom salt; I might try it tonight instead of the betadine. It's better, but not well.

I haven't dug up the sweet potatoes yet, and a second crop of black eyed peas are coming on now. Peppers are still going. I sure wish I knew the secret to your success with tomatoes! Every year I swear I won't even bother with them again, but then I can't resist trying one more time...

I'm sorry about your finger, you could also try soaking it in warm water with either bleach or (my preference) salt. Salt does an amazing job of healing sores, I use it (salt water) as a rinse when I get sores in my mouth (I tend to grind my teeth at night and have been known to chew on my cheeks or I slip while brushing my teeth) and it will clear them up in a couple of days.

I pulled my carrots this week, 12lbs off of a 3 x 3 foot area. I don't grow many since I have no way to store large quantities right now except canning or freezing and we don't really like the carrots either way. I don't know why we don't like them canned, we cook them and what the heck is the difference but that's how it is lol.

Hubby puts epsom salt and crushed egg shells around the tomatoe plants. Seems to help. Also when we clean the freezer out in the spring he puts fish in the garden and works it into the soil. Old Indian remedy.

Hubby puts epsom salt and crushed egg shells around the tomatoe plants. Seems to help. Also when we clean the freezer out in the spring he puts fish in the garden and works it into the soil. Old Indian remedy.
I've done the epsom salt but not the egg shells. Good to have access to some fish. Our ponds all went dry during the drought the last few years and we have not been able to restock yet. I used to be able to buy fish emulsion plant food, but don't see it any more. Someone said she put a banana in the soil, so I even tried that. I wonder if it would work to buy a few feeder goldfish to put in the plant hole next spring?

Got an oral antibiotic for my finger. The doctor had a big long word for infections under/of the cuticle. He said he had seen some terrible ones, though my little booboo didn't impress him.

The egg shells add calcium to the soil which helps with blossom end rot. I haven't tried epsom salt but had heard of it. I think what works depends on your local soil and what is needed. Fish is good for everything I think. They say our coastal rain forests here in BC are so lush partly because the salmon that died at the end of the spawning runs helped to fertilize the soil. I used to have a fish tank that I used to water from for my houseplants (kept the water refreshed as I traded out old for new a little at a time) and when I had Koi I would leave the pond until spring then use the water on my flower beds when I cleaned it before returning the fish to it for the summer.

Latest posts

Back