Public Thank-you to the person

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaladar

Reaction score
I , and my formerly obese geldings, would like to thank the person who shared with us about feeding cinnamon for weight control, IR, etc. !!
default_aktion033.gif

I have been feeding it to my 2 geldings, who no matter what I fed in the past (well, except for Thyro-L, that worked, but I didn't like feeding it), exercised, etc., were still obese. I did feed them, I will not starve a horse, but nothing worked, until ....

The cinnamon.
default_yes.gif

Everyone on the West Coast that has shown in N. California will remember the obese Palomino gelding that I showed in Hunter and Liberty. People would comment on how amazing it was that he was so 'fleet of feet' for such a hefty guy.

His name is Winsaton, (he is the horse in my avatar)we called him Weighs-a-ton, but he weighs a ton no more!! The ONLY difference in feed is the cinnamon. His crest is nice and soft and not hugely wide. I can actually find ribs. No fat pockets above his eyes.

My other gelding, Spirit, is the same way...he looks so much better. They shine, they feel great.

It might not work for every horse, but it sure helped these guys.

We Thank-you!!

Sue
default_smile.png

Thats terrific! I too would love before and after pics or even after pictures would do.
default_smile.png
I have a couple I want to try that on but haven't started yet. How long did it take for you to see the results?

That is wonderful, so glad that they are trimmed down and feeling great! I was just thinking about the cinnamon last night and wondering if it would work on my chubby dog... Hmmm, I'll have to look into that.

I'll take some 'after' pics.....he actually has a nice throat latch too !! It's warm enough here to head and neck. I did trim up the front of his neck and under his jaws and that's when I saw the BIG difference.....he has a nice neck!! LOL I am sure I can find some 'before' too. Oh,and he has withers, too...LOL I have had him for 5 years and he has never looked this good, weight wise.

I've been feeding it, what..maybe 3 months? started with just a little, now up to 1tsp per day at night . His normal food at night is:

5cups rinsed beet pulp, 5cups soaked and crumbled alfalfa cubes, Platinum Performance, Remission, and the 1 tsp cinnamon. The only change since about March of 2008 is the cinnamon. Oh, they also gets grass hay at 10pm. Morning he gets 4 cups of Alfalfa pellets and grass hay. (like I said...I feed them.)

He is 33" and is big boned...he's not a gazelle-like creature. But dang...he looks so much better!! He is not thin by any means, but looks fit. I am really looking forward to body clipping him. That will happen after AMHA Convention.

Sue
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
DEAR SHALADAR. PLEASE GIVE ME THE DETAILS ABOUT CINNAMON. I HAVE A VERY FAT MARE THAT COULD USE HELP. LIKE YOU I HAVE ALL BUT QUIT FEEDING HER, SHE NEEDS HELP. THANKS, LAZY J MOM.

LazyJ....I never quit feeding them. That's why they were so fat....I refuse to give just 1/2 cup of feed and a handfull of hay....horses need to eat.
default_smile.png

My post above yours describes the amount of cinnamon. Now the amount of feed that I give that particular horse is a lot! He is a big boy, for a Mini. My 30" gelding does not get that much. My 29" mare gets about half that.

You have to be careful in cutting the feed on a obese horse. It can get very sick. Hyperlipemia (sp) Others can talk of that better than I can.

Who is the original poster about the cinnamon? They could give more details as to why it works and such.

Sue
default_smile.png

ETA: Lazy J...I sent you a PM
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
SHALADAR, SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS FULL TERM PREGERS,BUT IS NOT. SHE IS A "B" MINI AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BIG GIRL, BUT NOW SHE IS BIGGER. I DON'T WANT HER TO FOUNDER, NOW I'VE BEEN FEEDING HER A 10% PROTEIN MIX THE REST IS A FILLER TO SATISIFY HER HUNGER. THEN SHE GETS GRASS HAY. SHE GETS 1 CUP MORN. AND 1 EVENING,

Latest posts

Back