Protein

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Feathers

Reaction score
How much protien should I feed my minis? 12%, 14%?? I have 3 broodmares and 1 stud. They are on free choice bahai hay, no grass.

Currently I feed Lone Star Super Glow 2

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Crude Protein, min ...................... 12.00%
Crude Fat, min .............................. 3.00%
Crude Fiber, max ........................ 20.00%
Calcium (Ca), min .......................... 0.50%
Calcium (Ca), max ........................ 1.00%
Phosphorus (P), min ...................... 0.45%
Copper (Cu), min ...................... 20 (ppm)
Selenium (Se), min ................ 0.20 (ppm)
Zinc (Zn), min ............................ 50 (ppm)
Vitamin A, min ...................... 3,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D3, min ........................ 375 IU/LB
Vitamin E, min ............................ 36 IU/LB

Last edited by a moderator:
That is another topic that you will varying opinions on...it really all depends on the horse itself. If the mares are in foal then during the first trimester all they need is 12% as long as are healthy and in good weight. As they progress in gestation, so does the need for increased protein intake for foal development with the last trimester being the most crucial. The stud, if he is being used for breeding should have 14-16% and then when not breeding 12% should be ok...but that also depends on the stud himself, if he stays in good health with this amount.

Good luck and pics of your minis will help us see if they are in good shape and healthy.
default_saludando.gif

I have use Blue Seal Demand (16%) for well over 15 yrs. Everyone gets it... amount varies with each animals needs i.e. in foal, nursing, etc. The key is that it is primarily soy protein, good quality. Fat is low and my herd is in great weight!! I do use BP, molasses free. BP does not just add weight!! It can be used to drop weight, fill toplines, fill gut without a "hay belly", etc. It has good calcium and the pregger/lactating mares need more of that in diet....older ones can digest it easier than hay and then there is the hydration plus. I also use Blue Seal Vintage Senior for some.

Sorry -- no matter what anyone says about protein, it is needed. These guys often only eat a small amount, so what's the big deal? Now, I have stallions that get 4 cups a feeding, 2X a day, excellent hay and are on pastures....clean but not rich grass. It's sugar that we need to watch and for some, the fats. Most of my herd get a minimum of 2 cup 2X a day. Foals are healthy and up, mares are fine and don't drop weight (well, normally!) no one is heavy after a foal, etc.

Personally, I feel over the years this has proven to be a great feed.........maybe they do well on less but, I do my own thing and it is working just fine. Years ago my vet told me to up the protein but, soy way best. He proved correct for my herd.

Latest posts

Back