Labels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
I find it hard to understand the labels and which is the better one.

Example and can you tell me which is the best and why so I can learn how myself.

0.15 mg/kg selenium 0.20 mg/kg

Sample 1 Sample 2

Crude Protein min 12% 13%

Crude Fat min 2.5% 3.0%

Crude Fiber max 7.0% 11%

Sodium actual NA 0.45% 0.33%

Calcium actual 0.65% 0.8%

Phosphorus actual 0.35% 0.6%

Vit A min 3.250 I.U.kg. 16,000 I.U.kg

Vit. D(3) min 600 3,500 I.U.kg

Vit. E min 100 I.U.kg 80 I.U.kg

300kg pasture horse 1/2to1-1/2 per 100bodyweight

day and good quality hay

This is just a All Horse Ration. Thanks.

I find it hard to understand the labels and which is the better one.Example and can you tell me which is the best and why so I can learn how myself.

0.15 mg/kg selenium 0.20 mg/kg

Sample 1 Sample 2

Crude Protein min 12% 13%

Crude Fat min 2.5% 3.0%

Crude Fiber max 7.0% 11%

Sodium actual NA 0.45% 0.33%

Calcium actual 0.65% 0.8%

Phosphorus actual 0.35% 0.6%

Vit A min 3.250 I.U.kg. 16,000 I.U.kg

Vit. D(3) min 600 3,500 I.U.kg

Vit. E min 100 I.U.kg 80 I.U.kg

300kg pasture horse 1/2to1-1/2 per 100bodyweight

day and good quality hay

This is just a All Horse Ration. Thanks.
It depends on the horse that your feeding. Is the horse an easy keeper, or hard keeper? Is the horse being worked and at what rate? The fiber, and fat will be according to wether you are trying to add weight or take weight off. The ingredients that are used to get these rates are just as important as the actual numbers. The first listed ingredient will be in the feed in the greatest amount, the second and so on. If you have two feeds that have this similar protein, fiber, and fat analyses, then I look at the ingredients to find out what grains were used to get these numbers. These are similar feeds, one has more fiber than the other - but what is the fiber source from? Also - you want the first couple ingred listed to be as specific as possible. Wheat middlings vs beet pulb, or soybeans etc. If the specific grain is listed then that grain is what is used but in wheat middlings any combination of what is available could be used to come up with it this time and a different combo of what is available could be used next bag.

Latest posts

Back